4 replies to this topic

#1 deeezy

deeezy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:36 AM

Hello

Would you recommend producing my own Agar culture from scratch or may buying a Prepoured LB-Agar Plates from Amazon will be sufficient enough with regards to the recolonization process of the Mycelium? And much respect to the Mycotopia Community for all the help and support so far.

Link below of the item from Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#2 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,274 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:17 AM

Personally I would not purchase that. I’m no expert on LB (Luria Broth) agar as I have never used it for higher fungi. But from my understanding, it is designed for bacteria and lower fungi.

I would recommend doing some research and making your own agar recipe like the standard MEA (malt extract agar) or PDA (potato dextrose agar). Those are just 2 of MANY recipes that one could procure the ingredients quite easily and be successful with mycelial growth.

My 2 pennies. Oh and you could also, purchase premixed agar online. I prefer to make my own, but the ones you can get from trusted mycology sites will work just the same.

#3 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

No, learn to mix your own agar,..

I really recommend you find this jars http://bocala.co/wp-...ason-amazon.jpg  i love them

Then you do no pour agar,.. you pour into jars before you sterilize them,... less contamination chance and easier for beginners

#4 deeezy

deeezy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

Much appreciation for the response.  So I am assuming that I am going to need a pressure cooker regardless if I produce the Agar myself or purchase it from a vendor correct? Also is the Agar the same Agar that can be purchased via on Amazon in powder form?

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,791 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

Looks like you have a few misconceptions.

Pre-poured, sterile plates will already have sterilized agar poured in them. They will arrive sterile and ready to receive tissue transfers. You'll need - at least - a still-air glovebox to work with them but you won't need a pressure cooker. You will also need a means by which to seal the plates - Parafilm or something similar. 

Pre-mixed agar powder will need to be dissolved in water and sterilized prior to pouring. You'll need clean plates or vessels into which to pour this mix once sterilized in a pressure cooker or autoclave. This powdered media will contain all of the ingredients necessary to produce nutritious agar. 

Agar-agar powder - on its own - is not nutritious. It is a gelling agent for nutritious media. 

Here's my favorite tutorial:

https://mycotopia.ne...s-banzai-style/

• Misfit and deeezy like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!