#21 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

Looking good!

I appreciate it bud! Is isolating wispy aggressive cultures specific to cyan’s or a general rule of thumb for all pan’s? All my pan cambo cultures are extremely tomentose. Picture the cotton on the end of a q-tip, but pristine, and glowing. It’s growing nearly a half-inch above the agar.

I can't speak to cambo, but several of us that have been growing cyans for awhile have independently verified that tomentose growth usually leads to overlay or mycelium that never leaves the vegetative state. I would try and fruit it. All pans are not the same. Might not be an issue for cambo.

• cybele likes this

#22 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

I can't speak to cambo, but several of us that have been growing cyans for awhile have independently verified that tomentose growth usually leads to overlay or mycelium that never leaves the vegetative state. I would try and fruit it. All pans are not the same. Might not be an issue for cambo.

I really appreciate the heads up. I have a close eye on my hard, and although the Cambo’s are all tomentose; each culture has differences. I’m going to try and fruit a tomentose Cyan culture as well. I like to see the right and wrong if that makes sense.

Edited by cybele, 25 September 2019 - 01:39 PM.

#23 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

I figured today was as good a day as any. All cultures were inoculated two weeks ago. I have watched their characteristics as closely as possible, and I’m ready to make some transfers.

Pan Cyan, MEA
This culture gives three different options that are spread evenly enough about for my rookie hands to probably pull off. It seems that all three of these are wispy and growing evenly outwards. I am going to attempt to transfer a piece of mycelium from each to it’s own individual jar.
Note: on day 11 it started to grow nips. What ups with that? Lol!
E38258-FE-BE33-4313-8-B28-2-E5-F0261-DD9

Pan Cyan on PDA
Three different options here as well, but all are tomentose. Each differing greatly in appearance. Yet each growing at near the same rate. I will make one transfer from this plate to another in attempt to isolate a single strain with tomentose growth.
2-E04027-F-5687-48-B9-8-E45-1-C54-A8-EE9

Pan Cyan on MEA
Germination station right here. Several germination points on this culture. However, they are stacked together quite tight. I’m going to use my inoculation loop, and make five transfers from this jar. Many strains growing here look wispy.
EFFCBCC8-1-F76-4826-93-F1-167-D76365-FAD

Last but not least!
Pan Cambo on PDA. Germinated on day seven. When all three Cyan cultures germinated on day three. Four day lag, and faster grown than any of my cultures. Also growing up the jar wall. Two transfers from this jar.
13-E5-D8-EE-A702-4-EBE-A3-E5-0-CF4995042
  • Asura likes this

#24 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

I didn’t get to the transfers until the 27th. I’m comfortable with my SAB, and it’s sturdy. It can just be a little cramped sometimes. So I decided to split the transfers up compared to doing all them in one round. I had to be tidier, and it was a little more time consuming. So I was only able to transfer half of what was planned for.

In a way that lead to some benefits. I get to critique my work before I complete my other transfers with these precious species. Because I felt really sloppy inside of the SAB during the transfers. I still need to modify the inoculation loop. I might go with a thicker gauge wire, and modify the shape. The one I purchased is flimsy compared to this resilient mycelium. I also felt sloppy two weeks ago with the same inoculation loop, and all of the inoculations were successful with no contamination. Which led to the successful inoculation of three pan cyan Alabama cultures.

I want to say, it’s truly crazy to start agar work and jump out of the gate wth pans.

So I placed one culture that was germinated into the SAB. Next to that I placed three new agar jars. I used a combination of the inoculation loop, and a scalpel. Trying my best to get the smallest piece of mycelium as possible.

We will see, as soon as I see something you will :)

#25 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:52 AM

Thirty seven more days have passed in this experiment since I last posted, and much has happened.

Being new to working with agar, and not knowing what all to look for I am keeping it small. That allows me to stay organized, but using these larger jars still has it's problems. With that being said I decided to shelf the Pan Cambo cultures as most appeared weak, and one never germinated. I plan to focus on one exotic species, and one cube species until I have an isolated, and coveted culture.

As with everything in this hobby one step forward, most likely means more questions! Most of my time spent will be gaining familiarity with the cultures on agar, and furthering the process of watching the culture's entire life cycle.

IMG-0870.jpg

There is a brown discoloration around the 12 o clock position of this jar that I am unsure of. It was one of the original cultures germinated from a spore print. I took multiple transfers from it, before the discoloration. At 55 days I expected more growth as this seemed to work halfway across the jar and just stopped. It may have to do with the thin pouring of MEA.

IMG-0871.jpg

Once again this is an instance of gaining familiarity. I do not believe that this is contamination, however it is easy to spot the discoloration. Can anyone speak on this culture?

IMG-0874.jpg

This culture is another from the original spore print. At 55 days this is the type of growth I envision. However, this jar was opened multiple times, and transfers were taken. Does this appear suspect to anyone?

IMG-0873.jpg

One thing I have noticed is that after about a week on the food colored PDY the cultures seem to make weird mountainous configurations then collapse, and turn green. Nearly 80% of my PDY cultures are not viable, unless I transfer fast.

I also started three new cultures of Golden Teachers so I can familiarize myself with cube myc, and get some decent genetics. I started with an old spore print.

Hope you all enjoy the post, and pictures!

Edited by cybele, 05 November 2019 - 02:53 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!