#1 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:35 PM

http://theconversati...ks-on-you-89544

I love learning about the human mind

I remember reading somewhere that dejavu could be explained as your mind sort of live streaming a memory. Its a trippy though, a sort of computer glitch in the mind. 

The more they learn about our memories is funny to learn how fallible they really are.

A friend of mine insisted on telling me a few years later a story about golfing. He supposedly threw a club under a bench and it snapped in half. I laughed and argued that I had thrown the club and broke it, what are you talking about? We had to call a third friend who was there to convince my fried it was not actually him. He was blown away by it, oh man I have been telling that story for a year or so. It was a really weird feeling

I think we experience false memories in many small details. Who could really remember small details. Our brains sort of just fills in what it considers unnecessary information to create a memory scene. So when people are asked to recall these small details they are very often unreliable. 

Another side to this is eye witness accounts are losing credibility as well. The more dna evidence comes out and exonerates people Apparently there are plenty that were sent to prison on eye witness account only. No other solid evidence 

One person described our memories as an ice cube of sorts. The more you think about them the softer and more malleable they become

• JustAnEyedea, Rantrapr and clumsy like this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

Some of the smartest and most observant people around experience this issue.

[Direct Link]

The implications are ...interesting.

I've read an article where a neurologist studying memory said that when we remember something we're actually remembering the last time we remembered it, and that over time it can act like the game "telephone" where you whisper a phrase to someone who passes it along and so on until it goes around a room full of people and by the end the last person to hear the phrase reports back something completely different from the original.

I have no way to asses whether that is true or not, but it sure doesn't feel like it is, though maybe I'm just misremembering my initial reaction.

Edited by TVCasualty, 11 September 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#3 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

I get a mixture of interest and fear. It sort of shakes your reality to learn your memory is not quite what you think it is. How many events have we adjusted details to sort of suit our view of things. Or to reinforce a powerful memory feeling that accompanied said event

When we consider how easily those facts in our memory can be manipulated either intentionally or unintentionally. 

It makes me think, what is a memory. We sort of gravitate towards a fact based system when considering memories. To me it seems a memory is more like an emotion or a feeling. 

It would explain why music can activate memories from very specific times in our lives. The feeling of the songs sort of triggers our memory earlier than say a factual description of the events

This short doc is a far more detailed explanation of some of the points I was addressing

https://gem.cbc.ca/m...15a-00fb9922920

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

This is why writing stuff down can be very helpful.

I do that with psychedelic experiences that have been especially meaningful (among other things), so when I relate those experiences at places like this, even if it's many years after the events took place (like my posts about my first trip when I was 17), I'm relaying what I wrote about it at the time. Since I refresh my memory every time I read things I've written in the past I can't tell how accurate my memory of such things would have been had I not written them down but in some cases the events were so intense and transformative that I cannot imagine not remembering them as they happened. But that doesn't mean it's not possible.

I guess the only thing I can be truly certain of is that "certainty" is either a function of cognitive dissonance or projection/wishful thinking.

#5 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

I suppose the trick to that is not producing too much content that it makes it impossible to revisit. For instance pictures, I am not a fan of posing and being in pictures. Yet every time I travel places, I wish I had more pictures to refresh the memory. There is certainly a a happy medium. Others take so many pictures, the amount of time it would take to look at every picture for say five or six seconds. Starts to equate to years of your life. 

Any sort of serious person has to write things down to be efficient in my opinion. I would be a mess without notes to remind me of things. I was thinking of starting a dream journal. Mayhap I should add trips to that list

What do they say, only confident idiots or religious people are certain 

#6 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

That cognitive dissonance is pretty trippy stuff when it comes to trying to grapple with consciousness. I got pretty deep into it when watching West world. It has been some time since. I find it fascinating but its at the edge of my grasp. Going to have to do some more reading this afternoon 

#7 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

People at work start talking about that Mandela effect, in particular the multiverse angle. Thinking something mystical was going on. It always seemed silly to me after learning how susceptible to influence our weak memories are. Just by the way a person asks you a question they can produce a sort of desired result. You see it in magic and psychics all the time

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!