• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

I did some transfers from them a while back, but they did not take. Grew slow and thin. I think the plates are ok, but I'm not 100% sure, I'd appreciate some opinions.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190911_140616.jpg
  • 20190911_140530.jpg

#2 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:55 AM

They appear to be okay as long as the black places showing are food colored agar.

They appear to be be multispore origin based on the helter skelter growth patterns.

There could always be bacteria (or trich+ mold) in the fray that can't be seen. That is why it's best to keep sampling small areas and keep an eye out for slime mold at the base of the new sample.

It became a new day when I got low priced fish antibiotics to add to cooling, about-to-be-poured agar. The pressure cooker friendly antibiotic costs was too much for home hobbists like me.

#3 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:57 PM

Black places are holes where I took the transfers from. These two plates were first transfers from an ms agar plate. Further transfers aren't an option, I don't have any more plates. I ordered some from China some time ago, but they still haven't arrived and I can't wait anymore as I have to wrap up my projects until the end of october.
  • cappisdelecti likes this

#4 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

[quote name="cappisdelecti" post="1422478" timestamp="1568210107"
It became a new day when I got low priced fish antibiotics to add to cooling, about-to-be-poured agar. The pressure cooker friendly antibiotic costs was too much for home hobbists like me.[/quote]
You ain't missing anything. Lol IME many species dislike gentamicin leading to slow growth and it also throws off how the mycelium is structured making choosing certain traits more difficult. Might have to try the fish antibiotics next time I have a stubborn contam. Also heard of people using black tea agar as an antibiotic agar. Haven't tried it myself
  • cappisdelecti likes this

#5 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:12 AM

Black places are holes where I took the transfers from. These two plates were first transfers from an ms agar plate.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. In that case, they certainly look viable if transferred soon.

I just put a bunch of my agar plates to bird seed. *shrug* I'm hoping and so far only one contaminated bag out of 8. Some jars too, but I have successfully ignored those for over a week now.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!