• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 verdmont

verdmont

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

So Ive been using the BRF method, but have noticed that every jar(6 so far) have become contaminated with either a blueish green mold, or a black darker color mold. I use a pressure cooker @15psi for two hours. I use a lighter to treat the spore syringe, and am very careful about my own body in regards to handling things. Ive been using a bagged vermiculite thats used in the construction industry, it comes in big bags, and Im wondering well its being stored between making BRF jars its become contaminated? The Brown rice flour is usually completely used after opening. Is there a better vermiculite? Also is there another reason I could be getting the same to molds? Anywho, thanks in advance for any knowledge on how to undo my current situation.  

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

Is it a purchased spore syringe?

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

#3 verdmont

verdmont

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:05 AM

yep its a purchased spore syringe. I got them from the spore store. 

#4 verdmont

verdmont

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:22 AM

Id like to figure out how to create my own spore syringes. Maybe even be able to source folks for trade. Ive tried couple approaches to become a member here but have had no luck so far. Regardless its great to talk with people in the know. Its def helped me.

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

I was just asking because it seems like you did everything else right. So you gotta look at the unknown variable. Which would be the syringe.

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

#6 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

It's fairly easy to tell if the contaminant are starting from the inoculation points or just all over the jars in random places when using cakes. So does it seem the contams are starting at the inoculation points?

• PJammer24 likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,370 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

If you are sterilizing for 2 hours, its not due to poor raw materials... It could be your inoculate but it could also be the environment... I have had many more jars contaminate since I started rocking the A/C... The moving air carries spores around the house. In winter, I turn off the furnace for 20-30 minutes before I do my inoculations... If I were you, I would make sure that there is not moving air in my work environment, I would be as sterile as possible when doing my inoculations, and I would likely consider doing my inoculations in a still air box which is supper easy to make and use.

If you look at the jar and it is clear that the contamination are starting at the point of inoculation, then it is pretty easy to conclude that it is dirty inoculate leading to your issues.

Pay attention to Mr. Sandman... he has that creepy looking Wiki Ninja award for a reason... he is super knowledgeable and a little bit of a no it all... jk jk... Jokes aside, I am pretty sure he is the predominate contributor to Wikipedia... or so I've heard...

• sandman likes this

#8 verdmont

verdmont

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

Hahaha!! Awesome advice regarding air movement and inoculation points. I have noticed the mold to be in similar areas around where I injected the spores. I guess I either have to do a better job at decontaminating my spore syringe, or go to a better supplier. I think Im going to make a still air box as well and see how it goes. The heats been off here, but we were rocking the AC for a bit. I dont remember if it was around the same time I was prepping my BRF jars for inoculation. Thanks again everyone!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!