• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

I shot these jars on the 4th. Spores from rep vendor. I did not sterilize needle between jars though
Was hoping bruising as I beat them hard to shake a few days ago and noticed bruins right away. Are these dead or dying? Top jar is really bad. Other jar not as bad.
Other jars showing silver dollar size white mycelium in the 4 injection spots in jars. Thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 35F71173-9E79-4E89-A22A-CCBB3C8A8BB1.jpeg
  • D3D56EC6-7F4D-4C05-B495-90EED72BD4A7.jpeg
  • 74CA9967-9B68-4385-BEAA-0C893C664B09.jpeg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• DavidDiaks likes this

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

Why are you shaking them
And bruising isn’t green like that

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

Edited by Misfit, 11 September 2019 - 05:58 PM.

• Randys67 likes this

#3 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

I was afraid. Someone told me to the spread the mycelium? :(

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:54 PM

Not sure who told you that and I guess it doesn’t matter. You don’t shake brf jars though. It looks green on my cell phone I may be wrong. If it is get rid of it. And don’t open it inside your house.

• Randys67 likes this

#5 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:59 PM

Not sure who told you that and I guess it doesn’t matter. You don’t shake brf jars though. It looks green on my cell phone I may be wrong. If it is get rid of it. And don’t open it inside your house.

THANKS~!  I will watch closely and when I birth it (I quarantined it) I will see if it is bruising or mold by seeing if it wipes off, I guess.  ::)   I won't shake again....the last crop of GTs did not bruise ever, even after picking and they were very very poor quality.  I won't jump to false conclusions but I am hopeful.  I will get it out before I open it.  thanks man

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

I wasn’t trying to be a dick. Sorry if it came across that way. There is not reason to shake a brf cake and you probably did more damage than good. I may be wrong but it looks pretty green. But I was also looking at a cell phone screen. You’ll know for sure really soon.
Maybe some closer pics of the spots that look the worst?

• Randys67 likes this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,583 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

I agree with Misfit, while pics can be deceiving I think I see green in more than one of them.

So if I understand correctly, you only shared pics of the jar in question, and the others jars you started just have spots of myc growing around the inoculation points?

EDIT :   If it's the mean green, it will confirm that fact very soon.  If that is the case you will not want to birth it at all, the best way to deal with a green jar (IMHO) is to open under the water line  in a 5 gallon bucket with bleach water to keep millions of spores from spreading all over you and everything else close by.

Edited by Juthro, 11 September 2019 - 08:14 PM.

• Randys67 likes this

#8 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

Id say contaminated like a mofo.. discard and retry is advise!
  • Misfit and Randys67 like this

#9 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

Id say contaminated like a mofo.. discard and retry is advise!

lol...ok, I figured...thanks

#10 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:00 PM

I agree with Misfit, while pics can be deceiving I think I see green in more than one of them.

So if I understand correctly, you only shared pics of the jar in question, and the others jars you started just have spots of myc growing around the inoculation points?

EDIT :   If it's the mean green, it will confirm that fact very soon.  If that is the case you will not want to birth it at all, the best way to deal with a green jar (IMHO) is to open under the water line  in a 5 gallon bucket with bleach water to keep millions of spores from spreading all over you and everything else close by.

Yea, sorry.  the first 3 pics were of the really bad jar and the next 3 are of the other one that is grown a ton and is "blue".  Yes, the other 4 jars are just now showing white mycelium under injection holes about the size of a silver dollar.  And the same spores I put in LC are producing some mycelium now....THANKS  I concur with the green and am going to watch it a few days and discard outside....I have them all by themselves.  :)

#11 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

I wasn’t trying to be a dick. Sorry if it came across that way. There is not reason to shake a brf cake and you probably did more damage than good. I may be wrong but it looks pretty green. But I was also looking at a cell phone screen. You’ll know for sure really soon.
Maybe some closer pics of the spots that look the worst?

thanks man, I did not take it that way at all.  I appreciate the "look" and Im sure you are right

#12 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

Who ever told you to shake them either thought you were working with grain jars....or has no idea what they are talking about. I’m hoping it’s just the first.
Sorry for the bad news brother.

#13 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,417 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:35 PM

I think I see some cube mycelium germinating in one lil spot. A black and white pic of those will clearly take out the confusion of blue or green and say you are cultivating something other than that is desired. That is all contamination with a spot of good mycelium started. Sorry too be the dick that says that! 

Look into getting a pressure cooker and if you used one, then consider reading the instructions. Even a syringe of trich would not give you results like that. I would spare the $1.50 of the jar and contents to the landfill on that. Again, not being a dick, but that is not worth saving and there is something wrong with how you got that.

Edited by coorsmikey, 11 September 2019 - 09:43 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,583 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

If some jars contamed, and some didn't, I would guess it was something lacking in your process that introduced the contams, and not contaminated spores.  My best guess is not getting the jars properly sterilized to begin with. 

The reason I suspect that is it looks like the contams grew from places other than your inoculation points.  In a pic or two (like Mikey points out) it looks like you had good myc starting to grow where you injected at (that bright white color), but that the rest of the cake was already being overtaken.

Edited by Juthro, 11 September 2019 - 09:38 PM.

• Randys67 likes this

#15 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:45 PM

Well if it isnt the rarely seen but often feared Cobweb mold with a little taste of some kind of green mold thrown in for good measure. From the looks of things these jars were not sterilized properly. In fact this is what a totally un-sterilized jar would look like in 7 days, which is the date of inoculation on the jar.

Edited by sandman, 11 September 2019 - 09:46 PM.

• coorsmikey, Juthro, Boebs and 1 other like this

#16 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:29 AM

Well if it isnt the rarely seen but often feared Cobweb mold with a little taste of some kind of green mold thrown in for good measure. From the looks of things these jars were not sterilized properly. In fact this is what a totally un-sterilized jar would look like in 7 days, which is the date of inoculation on the jar.

Thanks man.  I bought them presterilized from Midwest.  I will do my own as soon as I buy a PC...thanks!

#17 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:30 AM

If some jars contamed, and some didn't, I would guess it was something lacking in your process that introduced the contams, and not contaminated spores.  My best guess is not getting the jars properly sterilized to begin with. 

The reason I suspect that is it looks like the contams grew from places other than your inoculation points.  In a pic or two (like Mikey points out) it looks like you had good myc starting to grow where you injected at (that bright white color), but that the rest of the cake was already being overtaken.

Bummer!  thanks!

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,583 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

Your next attempt, whether you go presterilized, or you get a PC and do it yourself, you might think about setting up a control group.  Leave a couple of jars alone after sterilization,  don't open or put any spore solution in them.   Do the rest of the jars as you would normally.

If the empty 'control group' jars stay clean, then you know they've been sterilised properly, and you are introducing contams into them another way.  If they fuzz up without ever being opened up or having anything injected into them, then you know they aren't getting sterilised properly.

Edited by Juthro, 12 September 2019 - 12:40 PM.

• Randys67 likes this

#19 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:46 PM

Your next attempt, whether you go presterilized, or you get a PC and do it yourself, you might think about setting up a control group.  Leave a couple of jars alone after sterilization,  don't open or put any spore solution in them.   Do the rest of the jars as you would normally.

If the empty 'control group' jars stay clean, then you know they've been sterilised properly, and you are introducing contams into them another way.  If they fuzz up without ever being opened up or having anything injected into them, then you know they aren't getting sterilised properly.

THANKS I will do exactly that....I have about 6 jars still left from Midwest....I will inoculate 4 and leave the other two.  And I am going to inoculate 2 spawn bags too, when LC is growing.  I would have never thought of that and I am slowly learning the need for sterility....I will flame the needles between inoculations....does everyone do that?  thanks again   I guess I ought to go check those jars as I got them when I got the ones I used....:)   Been in a closet in original wrapping.  Prob should be in a plastic bag in the refrigerator........I just realized.  ha.....but I can at least see if the ones not used  are growing anything

"pretty".  :)

Edited by Randys67, 12 September 2019 - 04:49 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!