• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

Seems like puritanism is on the rise again. I think we just call it being politically correct now

I think (hope) it's a case of the craziest voices shouting the loudest. I think it's always been thus, just that electronic media makes it so much worse.

As far as goofy ballz tripping vs therapeutic-if-painful soul massage, as with everything, a balance is best and tends to be the default in sane persons anyway. Trying to ditch either does not speak of good balance.

Figured we were getting a little off topic in the day tripping thread so wanted to start another one about the destruction of our society. Due to the fascist politically correct woke people 

According to Jonathan Haidt. The pc sickness is wide spread across the country. However the finger pointing, gotcha society is more isolated to the east and west coasts. Safe spaces, all of it can eat shit. I want to believe that the majority of people do not subscribe to this garbage ideology. If they keep brainwashing all the children, there wont be any room left for humor. 

They touch on the subject of woke comedy. Its  more of a giant remember berry fest than jokes. Remember the goonies, que crowd cheer. Do some chunk lines and cash me a cheque. Sort of like the Dane Cook fad, hey wait a minute these aren't actually jokes. Just saying things in a funny way. One episode they show a guy in a dinosaur costume. The one comic goes, see this is what we are up against now. The entire bit is he is wearing a costume, hilarious!!!!

Without a doubt the biggest infringement upon our freedoms is this politically correct garbage

Teen's anxiety, depression, and suicide rates are skyrocketing. Partially due to them not being prepared as adults. This is from excessive coddling as a children. We now have the term bulldozer parent because helicopter was not sufficient enough to describe the level of coddling. The idea is the parents push all obstacles in front of their child's path.  This is also tied to social media and the ultimate soul sucking effect it has on people. Fomo has increased to an insane level. When a kid used to miss a party he would just wonder what he was missing. Now it is blasted in his face with photo's and video's. It just creates this fake life for other kids to get jealous and feel bad about their lives. Its the same with adults to sadly. So glad we did not have facebook when I was a teen.

I used to wonder why would we break up big teck. It provides all these jobs and yada yada yada. What is the cost of this though, what service does fakebook even really provide us? They spy on every facet of our lives, collect the data and sell it to the highest bidder. What do we get in return. A free way to feel bad about yourself? Seriously what benefit does this provide to our society? other than small business thriving on it, surely they can find another medium to work on. To stay connected.... um nope it has the opposite effect of that. If you truly cared about someone you used to just pick up the phone and have a conversation. This interaction cannot be replaced by any medium. Now people just spy on each other and then have nothing to say when they actually meet up. All their questions have been answered by fakebook. The art of the long form conversation has become rare indeed

[Direct Link]

As the mass we need to start sticking up for our rights and freedoms. People just sort of lay down and let this pc shit take over. Its done on the premise of feelings and to make things better. We just turn a blind eye thinking, ahh what's that harm. They are just trying to make things better for people. So when someone tries to correct the words you use, tell them to fuck off. The evidence is clear that it is weakening our society. 

It has gotten to the point you are not even allowed to criticize these little babies at work. They suck shit at their jobs, are lazy and more interested with whatever mindless app is sucking their attention down. When you discipline them they just go cry to the boss about being bullied. Its a pathetic victim culture out there now

That's my rant for the day folks, thanks for the outlet

Edited by flashingrooster, 17 September 2019 - 02:57 PM.

• onediadem, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#2 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:59 PM

Oh right my main point.

So when you are out there and someone is pushing a progressive agenda. Feel empowered that it is trash rhetoric. You can absolutely say something against it. People need to be challenged on this, it has become a runaway train of scared complicity 

Black panther being the "best" movie of the year, and then best marvel movie sort of say's it all. Everyone to scared of being singled out as a racist if they did not give it 5 out of 5 stars

Edited by flashingrooster, 17 September 2019 - 03:01 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,825 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

I will be really surprised if the us does not implode on itself, and burn to ashes in the next 20 years. We cannot keep up the rate of spending, going into debt, coupled with stupidity for very much longer.

• crazy1, Coopdog, Oneyedraven and 1 other like this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

I will be really surprised if the us does not implode on itself, and burn to ashes in the next 20 years. We cannot keep up the rate of spending, going into debt, coupled with stupidity for very much longer.

If the US falls apart and goes to shit... You may have to move out of the desert if you hope to survive more easily... I am going to turn my place into a compound when society gets a flat tire... I am on the 2nd highest hill in the municipality so we will be able to see the thieving barbarians well before they arrive, It is a temperate climate with an adequate growing season, I have a gas well that will continue to feed my home even after electricity fails, well water... We could holdout up on my hill for a good while!!  My parents house is down the street with a gas kiln where we could fire our pots and jugs, a spring, pond... I think my friends and I could make a go of it!!

• Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#5 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,825 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:15 PM

Well alrighty. I know how to throw pots out of clay. College wasn't a complete a wash in an apocalyptic world lol.

• PJammer24, Skywatcher and flashingrooster like this

#6 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

The snake eating its own tail, nah nah nah nah hey hey hey goodbye Justin

Attached Thumbnails

• douche.jpg
  • douche in blackface.jpg

#7 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:43 AM

This is a great guest here to talk about the absurdity of the wokeness. I still have a half hour or so left to watch, but thought it has some really interesting things to say. When applying for a job companies can do better than facebook to spy on you. One of the more frightening one's was a private company that collected all your internet posts and printed it out flagged for whatever various content it deemed to be Offensive. And you can bet your ass it was for stuff that was not really offensive in the slightest. 

Edited by flashingrooster, 08 February 2020 - 01:54 AM.

#8 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,849 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:00 AM

Oh right my main point.

So when you are out there and someone is pushing a progressive agenda. Feel empowered that it is trash rhetoric.

Whoa...Talk about trash...

Can we get an "Unlike" button?

I would like, to unlike this, very much.

• newmoon likes this

#9 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:13 AM

Okay

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:12 PM

I see these sorts of trends as being very similar to what used to be called the "New Age Movement." It emerged as an alternative to both conventional organized religion and atheism since a lot of people are not satisfied with either.

Some of the stuff that the New Age scene brought us were desperately needed advancements in thinking and awareness. They help us bust out of cultural ruts that are arguably holding us back as a society.

But some of the stuff it brought us was also a bunch of magical-thinking and made-up horseshit promoted by con men that was no better than the superstitions and nonsense (or the cold, sterile materialism) it replaced.

I see efforts at changing the way people think through trying to change people's vocabulary and speech patterns or challenging cultural norms as very similar to the New Age movement in the sense that some aspects of it are desperately needed in our society and they will improve things for everyone (well, almost everyone) while other aspects are bullshit, which is making it harder to manifest the good parts because they're all lumped together under the labels of "political correctness" or "woke culture" or whatever. I for one am glad that the Archie Bunker paradigm is finally losing its political, social, and cultural dominance.

And what have the people who've been using psychedelics for decades been saying all this time if not that society needs to "wake up" to the sorts of insights and awareness that psychedelics can bring? Teaching people how to grow mushrooms is also a form of promoting "woke" culture, or at least it seems so to me since it sure works well for that.

As far as I can tell, the problems with PC/woke culture seem to arise (e.g., the scene starts to get preachy and self-righteous and annoying) when it lacks a psychedelic element to temper the egos that are inevitably involved. The psychedelic scene has been promoting tripping as a means of awakening one's consciousness to bigger and better things for a very long time without having to get all self-righteous and preachy about it, so I guess my point is that the people promoting PC/woke culture need to consume higher doses, more frequently! Or keep doing so, as it were...

• roscoe, newmoon and Moonless like this

#11 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

You have me wondering about the whole role of psychedelics in the development of these idea's. Has the lack of psychedelics in the modern era been the catalyst that has made it so douche?

Hey maybe that's what happened to me, I was probably the most liberal guy in my social circles. I used to take a lot of shit because of it.  This "Wokeness", pc culture whatever you want to call it, has turned me right off. I would wager I am not alone in this instance. Its unfortunate because I think its harmful the the left's agenda on the whole.

I see what you mean, the word "woke" shouldn't be a bad thing but it is now. It appears to be hijacked as to what you would use it for. There is good old school liberalism, this is not that anymore. 

I like the idea he puts forth that most of these woke people are aethiest that have basically replaced their religion with it. They become dogmatic about it and try to push you around under the guise of kindness and acceptance. Not realizing they have become the exact thing they are trying to fight against

• Moonless likes this

#12 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:42 PM

[Direct Link]

#13 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:53 PM

Its easy to push away the SWJ's arguement with that rhetoric, untill you get called one for your views.

We all have some views which the everyday normie would call overkill.

I myself aren't gonna fall for the petty shit these"SJW" and "alt-right" types are bickering over. We've got some racial justice shit to solve and that's not gonna go away if we keep this narrative of master victim and play this systems cards.

• flashingrooster likes this

#14 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:57 PM

The right and left circles of alt right and SJW are fighting over rights right now. But both sides are using exclusive rights. IE my right is for you to give up your right.

We are stuck in a toxic modernism, even the claimed post-modernist are modern because of their roots with coloniality. I think what Anzaldua says on the situation in Borderlands is spot on. We've got to develope a cosmovision that has a tollerence for ambiguity.. This tollerence is not a disguised disguist, but rather a reckognition that within our psyche is both sides of an arguement.

Anzaldua makes this claim from her Tejano ethnicity and her mestiza consciousness. Mixed people who are stuck between European and indigenous and black heritage, as well as marginalized people, are able to have this ambiguity because they have to play multiple roles in society just to get by. When we recognize that we can challenge those who dominate the conversation and don't budge, we can challange blockers of progress.

Edited by Moonless, 09 February 2020 - 03:08 PM.

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,825 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

I really hope that no one sees what has been going on lately as progress. I am sick of the anger and hate they are shoving down our throats. It accomplishes absolutely nothing and causes divisions. Keep in mind, most solutions that are being touted right now remove more rights. We now live in a world where temper tantrums are the norm, and the loudest fits are coddled regardless of the long term outcome. The sacrifice of the few for the many is now the sacrifice of the masses for the few.

• flashingrooster likes this

#16 newmoon

newmoon

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

Some "woke" people can be obnoxious and lacking in nuance, but I think the basic idea - that we should punch up, not down, and that we should criticize those who abuse their strong sociopolitical position - is a good one. This is very different from what the alt-right is promoting, which is essentially a xenophobic, bigoted desire to return to an era of white male supremacy.

Many "woke" people are quite young, and I think it's natural for young people to present their opinions in blunt, unsophisticated ways - this is probably good, even, if it shakes up entrenched systems. Wokeness is irritating to me too, but I think it's at worst a misguided effort from people whose hearts are more or less in the right place.

As far as the "PC police", have you personally (or anyone you know in real life, celebrities and youtube personalities don't count) actually suffered undeserved material harm from the woke? Being yelled at on the internet doesn't count. I know people who've been physically attacked by right-wingers for their political activity (and I've personally received death threats for the same)...if you're going to make an equivalency, please back it up.

Edited by newmoon, 10 February 2020 - 11:48 AM.

• roscoe, Juthro, swayambhu and 2 others like this

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:04 PM

I recall recoiling at some of the painfully naive stuff I've read by those who are trying to force society to change in ways or at a pace that it simply won't.

Language evolves organically and is extremely resistant to attempts to force it to change through some top-down proclamation or whatever. One example is the push to start referring to people as s/he or to add the prefix "cis" to your gender when referring to yourself as someone whose biological sex and gender identity match. I don't do that, nor do I intend to start. This is considerably different from organized efforts to stop using a particular word deemed to be discriminatory against a minority group.

Am I just being lazy and un-woke? Maybe, but that raises the question of what is more important when assessing wokeness; that I act according to principles of equality and tolerance or that I give those principles lip-service by following the latest trend in labeling?

Politicians are very good at the latter regardless of whether they really give a shit or not, and this is why an excessive focus on labels and words can be problematic. Respecting someone's choice of gender pronoun when referring to them doesn't mean I'm willing to hire them or not fire them for being who they are, or otherwise discriminate against them the same as always in the ways that actually matter. If you want to know how someone really thinks you usually have to ignore what they say and watch how they act.

• onediadem and flashingrooster like this

#18 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

Oh right my main point.

So when you are out there and someone is pushing a progressive agenda. Feel empowered that it is trash rhetoric.

Whoa...Talk about trash...

Can we get an "Unlike" button?

I would like, to unlike this, very much.

I think the whole point of the post is that people are two opinionated and too quick to pass judgement which the "unlike button" request falls into...

I personally think that people are too sure that they are correct and that if you don't agree with them, you're wrong. In my nearly 40 years, I have developed some opinions but in many cases, I leave the door open to the possibility that there is a grey area where maybe we are both right on some level... Who am I to assume that my perspective is absolute and to judge people based on the confidence that I could not possibly be wrong... There is less respect these days for the possibility that there are many different perspective and beliefs out there.

I may not agree with you but that doesn't mean I have the right to put you down... I am prone to debate (possibly to a fault) and will dive right into a discussion but in a constructive way...

It is really sad how quickly people will attack the opinions of others...

• onediadem and flashingrooster like this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,970 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

I don't feel the need for an unlike button, I am confident in my ability let folks know where I stand without one.    But I do agree with Roscoe, in that I think blanketing all progressive agenda as trash is not acceptable.  

• onediadem, PJammer24 and Cuboid like this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,208 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

When a Pulosi and/or a Clinton calls themselves "progressive," it's easy to see that the language changes so fast that any self-ascribed label probably isn't going to be long for a media dominated world.  If one sees this, some serious attention should go to the question, cui bono?

I like that adage: you can tell who rules by who you aren't allowed to criticize.  That works most of the time, but even there, there is obvious shit being put into the game.  That game would likely be, "divide and rule."  Look into what the 800 pound gorillas decide to call, "fake news."

We will have to use whatever level of intelligence we can apply.   Good luck to us.

Edited by Alder Logs, 10 February 2020 - 04:45 PM.

• shoomer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!