123 replies to this topic

#41 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:16 PM

I will be really surprised if the us does not implode on itself, and burn to ashes in the next 20 years. We cannot keep up the rate of spending, going into debt, coupled with stupidity for very much longer.

Your being generous. I’m not sure your definition of spending, if that means spending of living expenses or spending on shit you don’t need. If it’s the former, it’s all part of the plan. To eliminate the middle class which it turns gives more control to the politicians.

I can't speak for her but I thought she was referring to government spending, not daily expenditures for the average citizeyup.

Yup.

#42 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

It is certainly evolution, but I don't think you quite got to the root of it with your last comment. I believe we developed these tribal social behaviors as a means of survival in an ancient world where surviving on your own was virtually impossible... It's a double edged sword... While on one side ancient humans would join with people they viewed to be similar and of like mind to ward off potential attacks, many groups also viewed others as a means to further their position and potential survival through violence... I think that over millions of years, these behaviors developed because to have them meant you were more likely to prosper a long with those around you....

This does an amazing job of explaining the whole story of who and what "we" are (from one of many perspectives), appropriately titled "The Story of Us." It's an ambitious project, but well worth a browse IMO:

https://waitbutwhy.c...tory-of-us.html

#43 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:24 PM

When this came out a few years ago it was such a breath of fresh air.

Stunning and brave full episode

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs, Wimzers and Moonless like this

#44 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:50 PM

Did you ever watch this one Rooster?

[Direct Link]

On a side note I agree with Newmoon, making fun of the PC police is like punching down at young college activist IMO. Those people actually want to do good truth be told. I knew alot of them because I just graduated college, at first when I had people like that in my class one semester. We got into many heated arguments during class despite us agreeing on many topics, the class was a social justice class taught by a badass professor who brought in activist and retired to become one (we all got A's). The next semester I was in a similar class but the conversations were much less corrosive and much more civil. I think that it took me some practice to talk with these people–I was a math guy for a long time, only taking philosophy and social justice later in my education– as well as a strange time. There was nothing quite like the spring of 19'.

Edited by Moonless, 22 June 2020 - 11:58 PM.

#45 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:12 AM

I think you miss the point, we fully understand the desire to want to do good. The movement has just become so misguided. All this language police nonsense is part of it. Take the term white privilege for example. Studies have shown that ramming the notion of privilege down a person's throat does not get them to change, it does nothing to combat real racism. What it does excellently is piss off a bunch of white folks, so what are we doing here. This is done with intent to make things better but it actually makes it worse.

Pc principle beats the shit out of kids while trying to teach them social justice, its a direct criticism of the movement

Just because you have a desire to do good you are allowed to operate with impunity? We can't question what these folk are up to?

I mean its gotten so bad the joke is you only graduate with a degree in social justice

Carlin said it best, political correctness is just fascism disguised as manners

Nothing against you newmoon you seem like a respectable polite person, no ramming of your view points on here or anything I am trying to rant about really.

I just see an apple rotten to its core when we talk about this pc stuff. I see good intentions combined with bad idea's. To be honest it feels like pc has become to narrow a term to try to describe what is going on out there

Here is a good discussion on a wide variety of topics concentrated on the youth, that Jonathin Haidt has some good things to say he is worth listening too. He wrote the book the coddling of the American mind

[Direct Link]

#46 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

You learn less but I like it better when southpark does it

[Direct Link]

#47 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:57 PM

I think you miss the point, we fully understand the desire to want to do good. The movement has just become so misguided. All this language police nonsense is part of it. Take the term white privilege for example. Studies have shown that ramming the notion of privilege down a person's throat does not get them to change, it does nothing to combat real racism. What it does excellently is piss off a bunch of white folks, so what are we doing here. This is done with intent to make things better but it actually makes it worse.

Pc principle beats the shit out of kids while trying to teach them social justice, its a direct criticism of the movement

Just because you have a desire to do good you are allowed to operate with impunity? We can't question what these folk are up to?

I mean its gotten so bad the joke is you only graduate with a degree in social justice

Carlin said it best, political correctness is just fascism disguised as manners

Nothing against you newmoon you seem like a respectable polite person, no ramming of your view points on here or anything I am trying to rant about really.

I just see an apple rotten to its core when we talk about this pc stuff. I see good intentions combined with bad idea's. To be honest it feels like pc has become to narrow a term to try to describe what is going on out there

Here is a good discussion on a wide variety of topics concentrated on the youth, that Jonathin Haidt has some good things to say he is worth listening too. He wrote the book the coddling of the American mind

[Direct Link]

I get what you're saying Rooster, I dont think I'm missing the point but perhaps we have different ideas of how this movement works and is. The PC police, from my understanding, are a recent phenomenon in a chain of similar types that have been part of feminism and social justice for a very long time. The term was coined, "the suffering olympics" . Yes this PC police thing is undesirable and sometimes even backwards at achieving social progress, they are a small group of loud voices using the social justice movement to gain a platform, like anti-masker and anti lockdown. Unfortunately the PC police makes a lot of sense and has become a popular way of dressing social injustice among those who don't want to think for themselves.

In Jordan Peterson's interview with Cathy from English television we saw how the PC police were not allowing two perspectives to coexist. No tolerance for ambiguity is the problem that intersectional feminism addresses. I think the best way to resist these PC police is to show them a better approach to fighting social injustice than denouncing your white privilege;\ as if race, class and other visible and invisible identities are about to be taken off at whim. Sometimes I see people who are like "I denounce my white privilege" and I think that they are pretending to not be a privileged person and once they have renounced themselves then the blame for racism can be shifted away to other people. That method is laughable and not what great women feminist of color like Audre Lorde and Gloria Anzaldua would advocate.

EDIT:WORDING

Edited by Moonless, 25 June 2020 - 04:26 PM.

• Juthro, Wimzers and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#48 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

Sorry I doubted you moonless you understand what I am trying to say. It's a difficult point to try to get across without coming off like an asshole sometimes. Or at least in my case it can be. I think part of it is the internet where you can't hear peoples tone or see the expressions on their face. I don't mean to come off as against all progressive values. It's crazy to now think how widely gay people were shunned in the recent past. Something that seems so obvious now that it should be accepted. Being anti gay was almost celebrated to an extent. I mean realistically there are still ton's of people who have religious training that perpetuates and feeds that sentiment today so it's not like its over yet. I am not saying abandon progressive values.

I think we mostly disagree with effectiveness of the recent pc movemet. I see a current system that is doing more harm than good but that's just my one sided view

It's better if I just use the source material instead of poorly trying to regurgitate it ten years later

[Direct Link]

I  have been repeating George's intro phrase all to often recently

Things have just gone exponential after twitter really started to see higher traffic numbers. (2011 ish?) It feels like a tiny minority trying to convince the rest of the world that this is the way things MUST be, and if you don't agree with us we will make you go away. Either by cancelling your show or trying to dig up some comment from twenty years ago to get you fired from your job. They have no problem totally destroying someone's career or life over a comment they made. To me that limits our ability to have conversation, with everyone walking around on eggshells wondering if they are going to get fired over someone else's newest woke realization. I think it censors freedom of thought an expression. There seems to be a whole lot less room to be a human being, we no longer tolerate mistakes.

Then again I suppose it only became a problem with this forever internet issue. Skip posting your thoughts on the internet and you will have no issues of times changing.

If anyone can convince me you have good shot

• Alder Logs likes this

#49 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

He has been onto this for trend for a long time. Making our language squeaky clean

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs likes this

#50 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:14 AM

Im getting a lot of pleasure from watching “old school” feminists duke it out with the “transectionals”.
Some years ago there was a very satisfying debate between some hoary old lesbian parliamentarian and a transsexual person who had been a man and who wanted to muscle in on some woman-centric governmental position. She more or less said how very much like a man it was to want to appropriate the female experience, and that this transsexual person needed to GTFO.
It’s not exactly parallel, but I’m reminded in more current events of white people telling other white people that the BLM agenda represents the opinions and interests of all black people! Which is madness (in my opinion).
It’s all very odd.
  • Oneyedraven and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#51 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:10 AM

For all of the smug, greedy, well fed white people, even these are unwilling sperm recipients these days, voting for the party producing the most personally effective platitudes.   Could be it's all bullshit and it's bad for you.

Edited by Alder Logs, 26 June 2020 - 10:13 AM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#52 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

WAPO essentially decides it's time for a human sacrifice to the PC gods.

[Direct Link]

#53 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

You beat me to it Alder I was just going to post that video.  Pretty spot on for the thread

• Alder Logs likes this

#54 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:01 PM

Im getting a lot of pleasure from watching “old school” feminists duke it out with the “transectionals”.
Some years ago there was a very satisfying debate between some hoary old lesbian parliamentarian and a transsexual person who had been a man and who wanted to muscle in on some woman-centric governmental position. She more or less said how very much like a man it was to want to appropriate the female experience, and that this transsexual person needed to GTFO.
It’s not exactly parallel, but I’m reminded in more current events of white people telling other white people that the BLM agenda represents the opinions and interests of all black people! Which is madness (in my opinion).
It’s all very odd.

I think there is something about watching the idea's go so far they do a full circle and conflict themselves. I don't know if entertainment is the right word, maybe more  like watching a car crash.

• onediadem and swayambhu like this

#55 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:27 AM

I was wondering who is this Brett Weinstein? when his episode kept popping up in my you tube feed.... :blink: , some cousin of harvey? Heck no.

He was a College professor who lost his job when the pc mob came for him. Brett even testified before congress about his worries

[Direct Link]

I watched most of this episode last night, he goes into why he thinks this is the college controversy spilling out into the real world current events. If anything is hopeful he mentions that it may just be an isolated phenomenon that has since been corrected. Perhaps just a pocket of three our four school years of it. The pendulum will keep on swinging

[Direct Link]

• Alder Logs and Moonless like this

#56 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:44 AM

Doubtful with tick tock sheeple.

#57 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

Dr. Weinstein's predicament reminds me of how our discussion of alternate ideas about COVID-19 went down here.   Whether the decrease in discussion here is following the pattern of students coming to Evergreen is in the same vein, I can't say, but do wonder.

What drives Harvard is NIH and NSF money?  What drives the COVID-19 discussion?  Hmmm?

Edited by Alder Logs, 27 June 2020 - 12:43 PM.

#58 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

Doubtful with tick tock sheeple.

I wonder how much people's lack of attention span has to do with things. The long format of conversation seems to be shrinking. It's just sound bites and clips

That Tick Tock has got be causing some serious attention deficit issues down the road

I have gone through spouts with my phone, finding it in my hand and flipping news articles when I am supposed to be doing something else. But there was a thirty second pause and without even realizing it that phone is being flipped.

Edited by flashingrooster, 27 June 2020 - 04:08 PM.

#59 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:49 PM

No hard feelings Rooster I know we'ed come together.  The whole Bret Weinstein thing was pretty sad, Evergreen state sounds like a pretty prestigious college too and its sad that they felt like they needed to have him fired for voicing his opinion about the whole black remembrance day happenings. I totally understand how the whole mob went after him, like it does sound pretty bad and hard to defend but I really think he was a genuine guy and didn't mean any harm by refusing to comply with not holding classes on black remembrance day. Just goes to show that its really easy to spin events and blow them out of proportions, I think they did some logical falicy!

#60 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:08 AM

I think the most important conversations we can have are the ones that make us feel uncomfortable. The one's where all of a sudden you and your friend disagree. When we choose not to engage, even for the sake of civility. I wonder do we do ourselves a disservice ?  I mean really who want's to fight with their friends! Sometimes you just have to stick with what you feel, this human experience is a confusing friggin thing

Seriously though thanks to anyone who reads my broken sham attempt at long form English. I read a post or two back and struggle to sound out that chopped salad

• Alder Logs and Mycol like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!