76 replies to this topic

#61 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,984 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

As for the Joe Rogan/Bret Weinstein #1494, I have just finished the three plus hours. I think it should be taken in by anyone calling oneself a scientist. It is not anti-science. It brands, and informs of, the corruption of science as it is functioning in this time, and makes clear the threat this corruption represents as it impacts so many spheres of human life.

All I can say to any thinking, caring person is, watch the video!  (I think it a positive note that this has had 5,249,893 views in ten days.  Since Rogan has expanded to other platforms means even more are seeing it.)

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 28 June 2020 - 09:39 AM.

• Arathu, Moonless and flashingrooster like this

#62 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:37 AM

The long format of that show should really be the way of the future. Whenever you have a panel of five or so people it becomes to many voices trying to get air time. The idea's get muddled and its not so much a conversation than it is a form of performance art. Saying gotcha phrases and pushing sound bites. I think more people trust Joe Rogan to give them information than any news organization at this point. They get what they deserved selling us packaged lies and produced tag lines

Oh ya I forgot to mention science is racist now

Edited by flashingrooster, 29 June 2020 - 09:39 AM.

#63 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,984 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:22 PM

I think maybe one of the most important things he (Weinstein) said was, concerning markets, "it makes scientists into salesmen."   On the scale of salesmen, at the high end are hucksters.  As my old Wobbly mentor used to say: "In America, things are made to be sold, and once they've done that, they've served their purpose."

Edited by Alder Logs, 29 June 2020 - 04:23 PM.

• flashingrooster and Mycol like this

#64 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:41 AM

I know what you mean, It's exhausting as an average citizen trying to keep up to it all.

I remember reading about the way money effects science. One example was peer review, often a group will produce a study and nobody will  fact check it. All the grant money was for the original study, it doesn't pay to fact check. They eluded to the fact that anyone with enough money can essentially produce the results they want to see. Even to those of pure heart, I often wonder does worrying about your grant money skew your results?

As well what we often read is a journalist interpretation of a scientific study. Boiled down and over simplified to produce the talking point or results that they want to push

The misinformation age

#65 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

I don't advocate for communism but It has me wondering if the capitalist bubble has finally popped

You got me thinking about a line I heard Dr. Cornell West say. I would categorize Dr.West as a little bit sensationalist but also very intelligent and has some good things to say. The video is mostly about society failing blacks but I think he might be onto something there in the larger scheme of things. Everything and everybody for sale

What we are experiencing right now is the failed state of capitalism, we let it go to far and you can see the corruption has gotten to thick for it to properly function anymore. In this case you can see how freedom of capitalism has led to a takeover over scientific consensus. A takeover of the government through lobbying, and a takeover of our information stream in the form of the main stream media

I was thinking about the word the establishment, and what it really means. I used to think it was just the super elites like the Koch brothers or the Clinton's, but it's everyday people. Making sure you don't rock the boat to much. We get comfortable in our little loops and become resistant to change

He had a good line at the end

Try again, fail again, Fail better

Edited by flashingrooster, 30 June 2020 - 11:04 AM.

#66 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,984 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

Being way over here on the left for much of this life, and being a minimalist and sort of devoutly poor for having qualms about how to monetize my own physical existence, I have seen the demise of monopoly capitalism coming for a long time, noting the corruption just as early on.   I wrote this parody of Desperado over 25 years ago:

Corporado

By The Vultures

Corporado
        you'd better watch what your doin'
        or you will bring us all to ruin
        before too long

Your bottom liners
        your clearcut loggers and heap leach miners
        your engineers and designers
        could get it all so wrong

Well, don't you buy into the gold and diamonds boy
    that deal is with the devil
    The path with heart will fill your deepest need

Now, did God make the mountains green and tall
    for us to make 'em bare and level?
    We must understand, we create our own greed

Corporado
        we all breath by the same grace
        you'd better let down your game face
        and get yourself real

Can you rise up
        break free of your denying
        and see all that is dying
        beneath your wheel

Well, don't you love to play Monopoly?
    you've got hotels all around the table
    You're havin' so much fun that you just forget to see

That you've got hired guns to make us play your game
    for just as long as we are able
    When you've got it all will you finally set us free?

Corporado
        you'd best realize your power
        will you bring our final hour
        with the next dawn?

It is within you
        to serve a higher calling
        and stop that ax from falling
        all our hope gone

Will you serve all life or mammon now
    when the judgment is upon us?
    In this final ticking of the eleventh hour

You're gonna push your camel through the needle's eye
    it seems you're bound to take it with you
    When all the fruit you hoarded long ago went sour

Corporado
it's not right to put us through this
You say someone else would do this
it's just our fate

It wont be easy
try to start sympathizing
And stop rationalizing
Stop your rationalizing
Before it's too late

Edited by Alder Logs, 30 June 2020 - 11:24 AM.

• Guy1298 likes this

#67 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

I always like when people put their creations on this website for display

Did you ever perform it?

Where's weird al when we need him

Coprorado!

Edited by flashingrooster, 30 June 2020 - 11:38 AM.

#68 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

The rabbit hole is way deeper than I ever could have imagined. I was listening to this at work yesterday and my head was about to explode

James Lindsay has taken the route of know they enemy. He has consumed the pc theories that they are teaching all the youth now. In the hopes of being able to effectively dismantle these absurd idea's. Or at the very least draw attention the the masses of what is going on

Edited by flashingrooster, 04 July 2020 - 02:44 PM.

#69 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

That was an interesting conversation.

It's hard to believe a lot of what he said because it's so far out there, but then I've also been seeing using the wrong term to refer to someone being referred to as a form of "violence" lately. Sometimes it's specified as "linguistic violence," but that makes it no less absurd and does victims of actual, literal violence an extreme disservice.

If this nonsense keeps up then we won't be able to tell if someone who is accused of committing an "act of violence" put a bullet in someone's head, beat the shit out of them, or used the wrong pronoun when referring to someone when trying to have a conversation with them.

Still, I can't help but think there's a shitload of trolling going on by some of the people who are (or pretend to be?) promoting Critical Theory (which is an egregious misuse of the word "Theory") and lunacy like the idea that "science is racist," possibly in order to discredit the sane and reasonable arguments for necessary changes to how we do things in this country. Or maybe my cynicism is actually still way too naive for this world and we're about to have a major clash between batshit cazy neo-Bolsheviks and batshit crazy neo-Nazis (if anybody wins that fight, everybody loses).

Confucius might have been an insufferable asshole to hang out with in person (an impression I got from reading between the lines), but one thing that seemed to annoy the hell out of him has become a serious problem for us, which was people arbitrarily defining terms to suit their own agendas and interests. It's what his concept of the "rectification of names" he spoke of was all about.

It seems like it should go without saying that words should have specific, unambiguous meanings that correspond to the aspects of reality they describe, which is the only way people can have meaningful conversations about anything. So when a phrase like "black lives matter" can mean any one of three or four different things, communication becomes virtually impossible. And like Sam Harris pointed out in a recent podcast, the only two choices available to us to get through this growing madness are conversation or violence (meaning the real kind). My vote is for conversation, but then I also always got the impression that my vote has never counted for squat.

This is a very troubling observation:

post-102948-0-38811900-1593961440.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• zextreme positions.jpg

Edited by TVCasualty, 05 July 2020 - 10:07 AM.

• flashingrooster likes this

#70 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:15 PM

I know what you mean about hard to believe. Like the part where they were talking about writing fake papers on super woke subjects. And then surprisingly have people praise them as real academics. I really don't know what to make of it all

#71 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:09 PM

I imagine that it's also contributing the growing trend of the general public not putting any stock in "so-called experts," which is to say people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about.

It's the only way someone ends up falling for shit like the "Plandemic" nonsense that will probably end up getting my mom sick and maybe dead (thanks a bunch for making that video you dumb fucking assholes). Disingenuous or fake "experts" are a serious and growing problem and make it harder to parse the medical signals from the conspiracy noise, but that's what peer review is for. At least so long as one doesn't believe that all the scientists involved in academic Journals are "in on it," which is a position that can only be taken by those who have little to no contact with science in actual practice since such contact and interaction makes it vividly obvious that it's patently absurd to believe such a conspiracy is even possible. I know real scientists who work at world-class facilities, and I hang out with them at their homes. If their peers were pulling the kind of shit that so many are explicitly and implicitly accused of pulling they'd be raising hell about it (so peer review isn't only a formal process that happens in Journals).

What I make of it is that we're probably screwed, but we didn't have to be.

#72 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

I forgot to mention that the whole fake papers thing reminded me of a hilarious and brilliant hoax I read about that happened in 1969 that involved a trashy "romance" novel that became a best seller. It had been written as a joke by a bunch of journalists, and uh.... just check out the wiki page of Naked Came the Stranger.

The results of that stunt should have been a sobering wake-up call, frankly.

#73 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 AM

I think it was an episode of John Oliver I was watching and they were talking about state of peer review these days.  The gist of it was that it doesn't pay to do peer review. So many of these studies are one sided and never have and actual review done. There was a period where the new rules on coffee seemed to be changing by the month. It gives you cancer, no it prevents heart disease, no it's just the ultra hot water that causes cancer... blah blah blah. Who can keep up to all that conflicting information. One would think in the case of corona a ton of peer review is going on due to the severity of it

I wonder if the lack of people's trust in experts has to do with the state of the media these days. The so called experts that are supposed to give us the truth, seems like all we get is opinions now.  All they do is spit lies as us and make the spin to fit their political agenda. Then again the whole conspiracy thing really exploded in the last twenty years with the rise of the internet and youtube. Those couple odd alien conventions blew up into main stream television via the X-files. I used to think that all this media stuff was just harmless entertainment but you realize that everything we watch and read has some effect on our psyche

Edited by flashingrooster, Yesterday, 09:47 AM.

#74 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:55 AM

I am starting to like the Matt Taibbi, another fellow trying to wake people up to this oppressive political correctness that is going on.

[Direct Link]

#75 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,984 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 10:16 AM

...the whole conspiracy thing really exploded in the last twenty years with the rise of the internet and youtube.

When the deep state starts to lose containment on a black op, say something like the JFK assassination, and say persons like Mae Brussell or John Judge start getting uncomfortably close to what actually happened (and this was before the internet, mostly the work of a few listener supported radio stations and newsletters that were the ones getting off the rez in those days), then the media, beginning with the tabloids (which started being owned by deep state assets back in that time and used as a means to discredit evidence {by publishing it under those purposefully debased mastheads} when it was getting too close to the operations), plus the admitted 400 major media plants which came to light as "Operation Mockingbird," in the Church Committee Hearings, and whose termination was surely no more than a new secret code name, a shit storm of disinformation is put out to bury the single, or few, threads that might be opening some eyes to what's been perpetrated.  It was also then that the term, "conspiracy theory," was coined by the see eye eh as a term of derision (as if conspiracies were out of the question--and organs of power can't keep secrets).  

But then, I am probably just another wild-eyed conspiracy theorist and anything I say would be questionable.   (Would you like some heroin or crack cocaine with that?)

Edited by Alder Logs, Yesterday, 10:24 AM.

#76 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted Today, 03:11 PM

I am not saying conspiracies are all made up lies, but to give every you tube video credence is just as foolish.

We could sit here and list a hundreds of things that we have been lied to about. I am with you on that one

Surely you have a line somewhere too. Flat Earth?

I think you will like this episode Alder, they talk about censorship in the news.

Matt Taibbi is a journalist and author. He has reported on politics, media, finance, and sports, and has authored several books including his latest "Hate, Inc.: Why Today's Media Makes Us Despise One Another" is available now & look for his podcast "Useful Idiots" is available at RollingStone.com

I like the one point they make about how news is so one sided now. They gas light their audience to one side of the story and then when faced with the reality of the other side that was suppressed and hidden from them it blows their minds up.

[Direct Link]

Edited by flashingrooster, Today, 03:14 PM.

#77 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 03:47 PM

It was also then that the term, "conspiracy theory," was coined by the see eye eh as a term of derision (as if conspiracies were out of the question--and organs of power can't keep secrets).  

But then, I am probably just another wild-eyed conspiracy theorist and anything I say would be questionable.   (Would you like some heroin or crack cocaine with that?)

Yes, we know where the term came from.

And if I or someone else (but mostly just me I guess) criticizes or debunks one or more conspiracies from a list of conspiracies that you happen to believe are credible it does not imply a similar take on any of the others, or about how wide your eyes may be.

Everything that everyone says is questionable. That's what research and fact-checking are for, insofar as doing so is still possible anymore. If all sources of information are considered compromised then it seems like that would mean sources of information that support conspiracy hypotheses as well as any sources of contrary information that suggest the conspiracy is false are equally untrustworthy. So while a mainstream news source might be full of crap, that does not mean that a given non-mainstream source is any more accurate or any less full of crap.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!