• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:10 PM

One easy tip I have is to keep windex close by. The alcohol percentage is not enough to degrade the silicon and it prevents the silicone from sticking to your finger, gloved or not, or whatever device you use to apply your sealant. If sealant gets somewhere you don’t want it to be you can use a paper towel/rag with windex and wipe it right up without spreading it.

Cool, I need to try that.  Maybe next time I use silicone I won't end up with a sticky mess.

In fact you can get away with just water, wet a paper towel or dip your finger in water.

It was a greasy trick I learned at work to use spit on your finger to form silicone and not make a mess

• cybele likes this

#22 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

One easy tip I have is to keep windex close by. The alcohol percentage is not enough to degrade the silicon and it prevents the silicone from sticking to your finger, gloved or not, or whatever device you use to apply your sealant. If sealant gets somewhere you don’t want it to be you can use a paper towel/rag with windex and wipe it right up without spreading it.

Cool, I need to try that.  Maybe next time I use silicone I won't end up with a sticky mess.

In fact you can get away with just water, wet a paper towel or dip your finger in water.

It was a greasy trick I learned at work to use spit on your finger to form silicone and not make a mess

Aaaaayyyy! I knew I guy that did that in the military, lol! I am a pretty heavy smoker, so dry mouth is an issue for me. To be scientific, lol, windex is just more consistent for me. For others in a jiffy reading this, there ya go! Spit on it!!

• flashingrooster likes this

#23 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:24 AM

67-BF4048-71-B1-4-DFD-8-B3-B-57-E198-D9-

Nine days of growth and we are at about 20% colonized. Decided to give it a good shake. Here in another week it should be ready to inoculate something!
  • macgyver and FunG like this

#24 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:08 AM

12 hours later and I think it exploded. Tomorrow night I have a PC run to complete. I will be including a sterile water and syringe setup, and we’re going to be testing wether a ship is needed or not! None of the three had a rubber gasket, and not one showed a sign of contamination. The security of the jar is definitely a success.

0-F3-E25-D0-0420-436-A-B2-DE-441-B152-F9

#25 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:16 AM

1-C0-FDF74-B92-A-4-F84-A9-D0-4-C5289-F7-

B9-E3-EE6-D-9-D2-E-4-EEC-BB67-D1-C4-D13-

9678-F07-B-91-AA-4051-A3-E3-12-CF8-F4-D8

E8-C43655-4-E34-4917-9-F49-12-ED619-CCBA

After 10-12 days all of them are looking pretty great. Next time I will shake them sooner. On to other things, wether it is, or isn’t pan mycelium idk.. lol. It’s my first time growing them. I was granted the pleasure thanks to a kind community member.

I had some cultures that didn’t grow as fast the others and chose the slowest. I placed an agar wedge into the three jars to test the seals on the injection port, and filter. As well as to test if these lids do not need a gasket. So far none have contaminated with anything other than what I placed in them via the wedges. Neither have my wide mouth half pints equipped with these lids, and used for agar.

Tonight I’m going to pressure cook a syringe, and some sterile water. I’ll finally be testing the syringe filter’s ability to displace air without creating a vacuum. I believe all should go well.

#26 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:31 PM

Good to see someone else using popcorn cybele.

Not that I think it's the best choice but more so a novelty to grow on. Are you going to use the popcorn jars to make a myc syringe?
  • cybele likes this

#27 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,689 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:53 PM

Damn Nice camera Cybele, them are some good photos of corn.

• cybele likes this

#28 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

Good to see someone else using popcorn cybele.

Not that I think it's the best choice but more so a novelty to grow on. Are you going to use the popcorn jars to make a myc syringe?

I grind a little popcorn and oats into a powder to mix in my agar now. So they have a taste for both. In the future my select cultures will be transferred via agar to these jars with popcorn. Then I will make some mycelium syringes, and use them to inoculate oats in quart jars, and mycobags. I figure I can keep these syringes in the fridge for 3-6 months, maybe longer. Diversifying the cultures I can keep long term,and the quantity. When a syringe runs low I can inoculate more agar with the syringe, and repeat the process.

#29 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

Damn Nice camera Cybele, them are some good photos of corn.

Hopefully one day I will grace these boards with something a little more mesmerizing than popcorn, lol. Even the greatest camera doesn't help with those jars but it still beats no pictures.

• coorsmikey likes this

#30 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:39 PM

Don't forget a silicone gasket for the lids. Plastic lids are typically not water tight because they have no gasket area. Use the thick clear FLAT silicone gaskets and NOT the Tattler brand.  

THIS^^^

I am in the process of fabricating some plastic lids.

The plan is to have plenty of clean bulk inoculate using the Mycelial Syringe tek. After I isolate a good culture on agar I would like to then transfer a clean wedge to a sterile grain jar. The grain jar will then be used to create mycelial syringes. I plan to follow the tek to a T with the exception of making the SHIP obsolete. I plan on  doing that by making some changes to the lids.

I am using the following:

• half-pint jar
  • wide-mouth plastic lid, grey
  • self-healing injection port, translucent/clear
  • syringe filter .22 micron pore size

The syringe filter should stop the jar from coming under vacuum. If I feel resistance when pulling the sterile water back up then I know we need more air flow. If that occurs I can place a ship through the same injection port as they are built for longevity. Either way we are all going to find out!

[This is the exact design, my parts are just different colors. I will post a picture of my lid's as soon as they are done, and cured.]

I am using the following thread's:

Fahster https://mycotopia.ne...ge-tek-revised/

BuckarooBanzai's mycelial slurry tek https://mycotopia.ne...-inoculant-tek/

My only question is the grain prep. I would like to use popcorn, but I have only worked with oats. Fashster went into some detail with his grain prep, but I believe his  grain hydration revolves around his tyvex absorbent lids. What is the best way to prep, and hydrate popcorn, on an extremely small scale. I will still be using oats as my primary spawn. I am just using the popcorn to "shred" the myc for the syringes.

It seems like you've mastered popcorn hydration/prep.

Pretty sure that if you run with regular mouth plastic lids vs wide mouth plastic lids you can get away without a gasket with that lid configuration. Shroomsupply sells both regular mouth aka 70mm and wide mouth aka 90mm lids in those configurations and they state to use a gasket with the 90mm and not the 70mm if your going after a watertight seal. I use those lids in wide mouths with a gasket, but just a heads up.

This is pretty much inline with what I do with whole corn: https://mycotopia.net/topic/63118-turkeyranch%E2%80%99s-easy-popcorn-spawn-pictorial/

As outlined in that tek, if you're worried about getting the right hydration you can add a few tbsp of vermiculite to the bottom of each jar to soak up small amounts of excess water before pressure cooking them. Use that as a "bandaid" until you dial in your process if you have to.

Disagree, silicone gaskets are the bomb! :tongue:

The new syringe filters came in. Time to fabricate these lids, and let them cure.

After curing, we are going to whip up some popcorn. Then it’s time to put a little agar love in the jars. After colonization we will find out if the syringe filter is adequate enough, and there is no need for a ship.

I’ll be transferring clone tissue to agar, then to popcorn, then the mycelial syringe to grain with my cubes. I also plan on transferring pan agar to the popcorn master, and using the mycelial syringes to perform waylitjim’s cyan tek.

41285282-8-DA5-491-E-9-B4-C-054-C0-DAA94

Those syringe filters don't offer a ton of GE IME. I am curious if the new "leak proof" jawns are useful for our purposes. I bought some but have yet to play around with them.

https://www.urbandic...e.php?term=Jawn

post-147940-0-40536500-1574566702.png

This might be of interest to you:

https://mycotopia.ne...-in-three-days/

Attached Thumbnails

• jawn.PNG

#31 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:33 AM

Thanks Cats, my house is overran now. We got a fourth and he is a shoulder sitter.

I have used these lids for my agar in wide mouth half-pints, in oat quarts with the filter/injection port combo, just with the filter in grain quarts, and on these popcorn mycelial-slurry half-pints, and I have never took on or lost noticeable moisture with these newer style grey ball brand lids. Nor has a single one been contaminated by airflow as I let them sit for three days after their first PC run. I try to be pretty stringent. I have never needed a gasket, but I do have them on standby. To add, I do not put foil over them in the PC, I tighten them tight then back them off a bit. You'll recognize the feel.

As far as the syringe filters go concerning GE, most of my jars will have the lids with injection ports, and syringe filters because I want my primary inoculate method to be by slurry not G2G. If it displaces just enough air to not blow my syringe out, or suck it in during collection of the mycelium laden sterile water that is a success. Then I can use the same lids across all of my jars. I do not see the syringe filters helping the grain quart jars at all with GE, nor the popcorn while in the mycelial-slurry jar, and actually would prefer it not to (HIgh C02 promotes celestial growth, right?).

No fucking kid, I have a joke for you. So as mentioned earlier in the thread I just had some agar specimens I needed to clean out of a jar to make room for better ones (Pan Cyan). I also needed to test these lids, but was most concerned with testing the syringe filter as a replacement for a ship. Also, making sure of course a gasket wasn't needed for this application, and to make sure my sealant set right on the filter, and self-healing injection port. I could have cared less if anything grew. So I rushed the prep, figuring if I put a weak spot in the armor it may help to really see how contaminates come at my lid. I boiled them for around 20-30 minutes at a pretty strong boil, strained, and rinsed twice. Dried with a towel. Loaded them in the PC for 90 minutes at 15 PSI. Consider me the popcorn master since it takes everyone else 24-48 hours and it took me 2 *Shrugs*

I am seriously kidding though. Oats are nice but I have had misfortunes in the past with them. I am just now moving to bulk. Which really put me onto doing the slurries. They are extremely cheap here, and the money goes to local farms as its locally grown. If I have no problems I am going to stick with oats as spawn, and popcorn in the slurries, and train the culture from the beginning with agar to love both. If I do have problem's I may just switch to popcorn. Going bulk with popcorn I would follow some of the advice mentioned earlier in my thread as to preparing it. Like I said I made an extremely small amount. 3 half-pints.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#32 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

So I made some of the lids the other day as well. Realized later on that most people were talking about this design in regards to liquid culture jars. 

I used the rubber gaskets, and one of my jar's went under vacuum. Any advice for avoiding this?  Should I keep the lid slightly loose and tighten after pc

Also curious about the gas exchange. I know diddly about this hobby but have read a few people say they do not provide enough for grain spawn. I was going to use them for that was well.  Does jar size matter?

• cybele likes this

#33 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

So I made some of the lids the other day as well. Realized later on that most people were talking about this design in regards to liquid culture jars. 

I used the rubber gaskets, and one of my jar's went under vacuum. Any advice for avoiding this?  Should I keep the lid slightly loose and tighten after pc

Also curious about the gas exchange. I know diddly about this hobby but have read a few people say they do not provide enough for grain spawn. I was going to use them for that was well.  Does jar size matter?

I find them to be a great upgrade. As far as the vacuum, that depends on if you have the older white lid, or the newer gray design. I’m speaking exclusively about the ball brand. I tighten my lids and then back them off a hair. I would recommend doing the same, and putting foil over the lid.

Concerning gas exchange, the lids function great in any application including grain spawn.

The jar size really just depends on what outcome you’re looking for.

#34 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,696 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

Cool! Nice to see the corn jelly
Jars still in use. As far popcorn prep goes, no worries if you burst some kernels.. I actually preferred all burst kernels when I made them.. they colonize faster amd absorb water and dry out faster (I use to store my cultures by drying them out in the jars with my tyvek lids). Just dry the corn off well before loading.. also shake the jar after you pc and that’ll distribute the accumulated water.

Great thing about the jars is that if they do stall, just shoot them up with like 3-5mls of water and the corn will soak it up and the myc will finish colonizing

C48C22C5-9C7E-47EC-A6AC-D629DC4F92B4.jpeg

As you can see most, if not all the kernels are burst.

Nice job!

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 28 November 2019 - 10:49 PM.

• cybele likes this

#35 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:16 AM

I fucking love popcorn as a spawn... It’s the first thing I ever used and it holds a super special place in my heart.

Very nice job man!

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 29 November 2019 - 12:21 AM.

• cybele and FunG like this

#36 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:56 AM

Cool! Nice to see the corn jelly
Jars still in use. As far popcorn prep goes, no worries if you burst some kernels.. I actually preferred all burst kernels when I made them.. they colonize faster amd absorb water and dry out faster (I use to store my cultures by drying them out in the jars with my tyvek lids). Just dry the corn off well before loading.. also shake the jar after you pc and that’ll distribute the accumulated water.

Great thing about the jars is that if they do stall, just shoot them up with like 3-5mls of water and the corn will soak it up and the myc will finish colonizing
As you can see most, if not all the kernels are burst.

Nice job!

Faht&&0){for(var>
)throw>

Well shucks, the inspiration himself!

My success with burst popcorn shells has made me want to jump into grain preparation with more of an open mind. I am just now transitioning into spawning grains (oats), and have read nothing well about burst grains. I had some time to kill before I had a real worthy agar contender, and was not worried about wasting a specimen or a small amount of cheap popcorn, so I said what the hell. I needed to test the seals on the lids. The popcorn was boiled for like 20 minutes tops. Like you just advised, and I had read previously while researching oats, I dried the outside of the grain extremely well. Luckily, I get to test this theory further as I just prepared my first oat batch, and I steeped them too. Many burst shells lol.

I have also incubated mine indirectly by placing them next to a heated device. The condensation will fluctuate on the walls, but it has never affected the growth.

I also shake mine after the autoclave, and a few times over the next day. After 24 hours I believe the moisture has set in, and I inoculate.

The lids design, and engineering partnered with using a jelly jar allows such a small space to become an abundant amount of inoculate. Not to mention you can watch its cleanliness real well.

Edited by cybele, 29 November 2019 - 01:18 AM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#37 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:58 AM

I fucking love popcorn as a spawn... It’s the first thing I ever used and it holds a super special place in my heart.

Very nice job man!

So far I have loved working with it as well, and do not have a single complaint. It is perfectly suited for this tek.

#38 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:00 AM

I heart popcorn. Oats and other grains are just less expensive. Popcorn jars last forever, IME.

• cybele and FunG like this

#39 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:12 AM

Finally getting around to testing these suckers, pun intended. Two different size syringes, actual sizes unknown. Time to see some floating mycelium!

I have a fruit-body that I am going to clone from one of my Golden teacher tubs. So in a week when that agar is nice and ready to meet a popcorn jar I need to have some ready. Then we can see the full process of going to grain. For now the pan cyan mycelium I capture in the syringe is going to the fridge.

Tonight I will post a picture of the syringe after extraction. For now, look at that brick o' carn.

IMG-1734.jpg

IMG-1735.jpg

#40 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:16 AM

I heart popcorn. Oats and other grains are just less expensive. Popcorn jars last forever, IME.

Price is not a problem for me it is the quantity. Can you find it in 50lb bags? To admit, I have never looked online. With oats, I do not have to make as many purchases, nor do any transactions online to pick up 50lbs.

Because I am digging the fuck out of it.

Edited by cybele, 29 November 2019 - 01:17 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!