Thanks Cats, my house is overran now. We got a fourth and he is a shoulder sitter.
I have used these lids for my agar in wide mouth half-pints, in oat quarts with the filter/injection port combo, just with the filter in grain quarts, and on these popcorn mycelial-slurry half-pints, and I have never took on or lost noticeable moisture with these newer style grey ball brand lids. Nor has a single one been contaminated by airflow as I let them sit for three days after their first PC run. I try to be pretty stringent. I have never needed a gasket, but I do have them on standby. To add, I do not put foil over them in the PC, I tighten them tight then back them off a bit. You'll recognize the feel.
As far as the syringe filters go concerning GE, most of my jars will have the lids with injection ports, and syringe filters because I want my primary inoculate method to be by slurry not G2G. If it displaces just enough air to not blow my syringe out, or suck it in during collection of the mycelium laden sterile water that is a success. Then I can use the same lids across all of my jars. I do not see the syringe filters helping the grain quart jars at all with GE, nor the popcorn while in the mycelial-slurry jar, and actually would prefer it not to (HIgh C02 promotes celestial growth, right?).
No fucking kid, I have a joke for you. So as mentioned earlier in the thread I just had some agar specimens I needed to clean out of a jar to make room for better ones (Pan Cyan). I also needed to test these lids, but was most concerned with testing the syringe filter as a replacement for a ship. Also, making sure of course a gasket wasn't needed for this application, and to make sure my sealant set right on the filter, and self-healing injection port. I could have cared less if anything grew. So I rushed the prep, figuring if I put a weak spot in the armor it may help to really see how contaminates come at my lid. I boiled them for around 20-30 minutes at a pretty strong boil, strained, and rinsed twice. Dried with a towel. Loaded them in the PC for 90 minutes at 15 PSI. Consider me the popcorn master since it takes everyone else 24-48 hours and it took me 2 *Shrugs*
I am seriously kidding though. Oats are nice but I have had misfortunes in the past with them. I am just now moving to bulk. Which really put me onto doing the slurries. They are extremely cheap here, and the money goes to local farms as its locally grown. If I have no problems I am going to stick with oats as spawn, and popcorn in the slurries, and train the culture from the beginning with agar to love both. If I do have problem's I may just switch to popcorn. Going bulk with popcorn I would follow some of the advice mentioned earlier in my thread as to preparing it. Like I said I made an extremely small amount. 3 half-pints.