• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

Ants and fungus enjoy a beautiful symbiosis.
Never imagined ants  gardening fungus.. so cool!

https://www.sciencem...aves-grow-fungi

• Amanita Versicula and makinbones69 like this

#2 Theinvitrowalrus

Theinvitrowalrus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

I went to Costa Rica last year and saw those things in action. holy crap it blew my mind, I was staring at them for a good hour.
  • makinbones69 and RainbowCatepillar like this

#3 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:27 PM

I went to Costa Rica last year and saw those things in action. holy crap it blew my mind, I was staring at them for a good hour.

That's so cool!
I'm dying to go to Costa Rica.
How long were you there?

Did you stay with fam/friends or hotel?

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#4 Theinvitrowalrus

Theinvitrowalrus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

That's so cool!
I'm dying to go to Costa Rica.
How long were you there?
Did you stay with fam/friends or hotel?
went for 10 days!
stayed in airbnbs with locals, made it a point to get the true costa rica experience.
best trip of my life haha
  • RainbowCatepillar likes this

#5 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:41 AM

Soooooooooo awesomeeee! That inspired me to keep the dream alive! haha

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#6 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:21 AM

I've heard of these ants before. Imo, it shows how many of the things that we view as uniquely human were actually discovered by other organisms far before us. I suggest watching on YouTube lectures of dr Robert Sapolsky on human behaviour for many equally fascinating things.

#7 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 759 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

i saw them in the Amazon jungle .....some were i have a little video i made

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,856 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

I came to this forum originally because of the tiny ambrosia beetle.  The little buggers are also professional myco farmers.  They were boring into my shiitake logs that I had just worked months to noc up, and planting their own favorite species of fungus in their burrows.  Thousands of them descended on my 200+ logs on the first really hot day of the season.  I saw clouds of them, disappearing into my logs in a matter of seconds, totally freaking me out.  The book I was working off of, The Shiitake Grower's Handbook, by Paul Przybylowicz & John Donoghue, warned of ambrosia beetles as a problem, but how was I to defend against the onslaught?  They are tiny, and to net all those logs would have been impossible for me, had I the netting.

The deal is, the beetles, known around here as "powder post beetles," bore a tiny hole into wood and lay eggs.  They carry mushroom spawn in their armpits and on their legs that inoculate the wood as they bore in.  When the eggs hatch, the brood eats the nutrients the fungus brings to the walls of the burrows.  I got on the phone with John Donoghue and expressed my freakout, after no one here on the forum knew what I should do.  John, whose company I bought my spawn from, told me not to sweat it, that the shiitake mycelium was so hardy as to not be threatened by competition from the beetle's preferred species.  So, thank you for the freakout. 

I can thank the beetles for leading me here to Mycotopia.  No regrets.

• Juthro, Amanita Versicula and RainbowCatepillar like this

#9 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• Banned Member
  • 335 posts

Donator

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

A.L>>>

"".I can thank the beetles for leading me here to Mycotopia.  No regrets.""

it was ordering Azures or Cyans {quite accidentally} as i was very much a "newbie"

to growing OR attempts at growng

>is how i found this site.

ALSO it is listed as a resource in a Cultivation Book i have~

w/o looking for the book~i think it was Trade Cotter's book where IT>this site IS LISTED as # 3 as a "resource".

However, i just wanted to tell you what i read "somewhere" is Cinnamon & just worked for me again, last week.

One cake had them, the rest did not-YET!

SO i made a spray of organic Cinnamon/water & IT worked after only one day. {spraying the whole G.B w/it}

So-just saying IT did work for me & i know i read IT in a book on cultivating.

Be safe & well+

Edited by Amanita Versicula, 19 September 2019 - 11:41 AM.

• bezevo and RainbowCatepillar like this

#10 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• Banned Member
  • 335 posts

Donator

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

I came to this forum originally because of the tiny ambrosia beetle.  The little buggers are also professional myco farmers.  They were boring into my shiitake logs that I had just worked months to noc up, and planting their own favorite species of fungus in their burrows.  Thousands of them descended on my 200+ logs on the first really hot day of the season.  I saw clouds of them, disappearing into my logs in a matter of seconds, totally freaking me out.  The book I was working off of, The Shiitake Grower's Handbook, by Paul Przybylowicz & John Donoghue, warned of ambrosia beetles as a problem, but how was I to defend against the onslaught?  They are tiny, and to net all those logs would have been impossible for me, had I the netting.

The deal is, the beetles, known around here as "powder post beetles," bore a tiny hole into wood and lay eggs.  They carry mushroom spawn in their armpits and on their legs that inoculate the wood as they bore in.  When the eggs hatch, the brood eats the nutrients the fungus brings to the walls of the burrows.  I got on the phone with John Donoghue and expressed my freakout, after no one here on the forum knew what I should do.  John, whose company I bought my spawn from, told me not to sweat it, that the shiitake mycelium was so hardy as to not be threatened by competition from the beetle's preferred species.  So, thank you for the freakout. 

I can thank the beetles for leading me here to Mycotopia.  No regrets.

200+ logs OF SHIITAKE? w0w~were/are U DETERMINED!!!+

I HAVE TRIED KITS; PLUGS made my own spore prints=made my son cut "FRESH LOGS" for me; make me WOOD-SHAVINGS/SAWDUSTS etc. etc.

oh i did have some luck w/the shavings & the spores i made myself BUT never complete fruition! 

i gave up FINALLY~OH i even bought them back in the 90's from FUNGI PERFECTI & left them in the fridge for 8 months before figuring out

how to "propagate" AND had called F.P two years later & THEN "they" informed me "IT TAKES A YEAR TO GROW'!

BUT ON-WARD I TRUDGED! 

NEVER w/any REAL success BUT who is to say THAT ONE DAY-THEY MAY JUST SHOW UP~(?)

Still waiting+ 

PS~good for YOU+ ~~~~200+  W O W+

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,781 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:37 AM

Then the rest of us owe the beatles as well, as mycopia is certainly a better place with you Alder :)

PS, those powder post beetles destroyed my brothers ancient walnut tree orchard, and his turn of the century farm house.  I have no love for those little bastards...   

My understanding is that the number of years between the larval state (when they bore into the wood and do their damage), and when the become beatles is so long that they usually have done more damage then can be repaired before the beatles emerge to show you their presence. 

• Alder Logs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!