20 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

Hi all,

Who was it that was doing some sort of Tai Chi / Qi Gong sequences prescribed by a Chinese Functional Doctor? I seem to remember reading it mentioned a few times but can't find the 'main' discussion again. Alder maybe? Can anyone point me in the right direction please? :)

Kind regards,
Cuboid.

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

It was Alder, but I can't remember the thread. 

Peace

Edited by crazy1, 18 September 2019 - 11:57 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

It was I, but the doc hasn't stuck any needles in the points that would make me remember the thread.

What is CFS/ME?

• crazy1 and coorsmikey like this

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:13 AM

It was I, but the doc hasn't stuck any needles in the points that would make me remember the thread.

What is CFS/ME?

Hi Alder,

CFS/ME is short for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

I've struggled with fatigue/ post exertional fatigue whole adult life. It was blamed on Depression/Anxiety but 10+ years of meds and therapy haven't fixed it. Last year it was very clear that the fatigue preceeded getting depressed when I had a pretty bad relapse. I'm finally being "treated" for the Chronic Fatigue instead of depression. Currently taking part in a rehabilitation group and a small part of that is we've been introduced to a little bit of QiGong and so far it's been the most useful part for me. I wondered if you could share what routine you've been using? I think I recall you were / are recovering from Limes disease was it?

Kind regards,
Cuboid.

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

And if a kind mod would fix my spelling / typo in this threads title I'd be grateful :)

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

The series I use is called, "Yi Gun Gin" (ee goon jean), a.k.a., "Iron Shirt."

Positions 5, 7, 8, & 12, have some movement as part of the form.  The rest are more like isometrics, where there is only applying the tension of muscle against muscle.  On form 6, "with put" should read, "without."  On form 8, the fists/arms are pulled apart to shoulder width using the muscles of the back, between the shoulders.  On form 9, it is a bit confusing.  When it says the palms face "outward," think, "forward."  The fists and forearms are rotated so the tops of the fists are being pulled toward the face, what they call, "inward."  On form 12, picture you are lifting the Moon to shoulder height, so there is some weight there.  When lowering the hands, picture you are sinking a basketball under water, so again, there is resistance. 

My doc says that these twelve forms stimulate all the acupuncture meridians, and strengthen all the organs associated with them.

I am about to start my third series of 49 reps each for this day.  Take it easy at first.  It took me over a year to get to 49.  Start with one until you get the forms down.  Then increase by even numbers to keep the number of reps of each an odd number.  Don't ask be why.  These Chinese medicine guys are inscrutable.  

Attached File  YiGunGin.pdf   360.5KB   80 downloads

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 September 2019 - 10:19 PM.

• crazy1 and Cuboid like this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:36 PM

Just logged back in to say I should have stressed the importance of abdominal breathing while doing the reps.  I like to do them in front of a mirror with my shirt off because it helps me stay aware of both how I am breathing and that I am true to the forms as I can be.

• crazy1 and Cuboid like this

#8 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

Positions 5, 7, 8, & 12, have some movement as part of the form.  The rest are more like isometrics, where there is only applying the tension of muscle against muscle.  On form 6, "with put" should read, "without."  On form 8, the fists/arms are pulled apart to shoulder width using the muscles of the back, between the shoulders.  On form 9, it is a bit confusing.  When it says the palms face "outward," think, "forward."  The fists and forearms are rotated so the tops of the fists are being pulled toward the face, what they call, "inward."  On form 12, picture you are lifting the Moon to shoulder height, so there is some weight there.  When lowering the hands, picture you are sinking a basketball under water, so again, there is resistance. 

My doc says that these twelve forms stimulate all the acupuncture meridians, and strengthen all the organs associated with them.

I am about to start my third series of 49 reps each for this day.  Take it easy at first.  It took me over a year to get to 49.  Start with one until you get the forms down.  Then increase by even numbers to keep the number of reps of each an odd number.  Don't ask be why.  These Chinese medicine guys are inscrutable.  

<script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...ums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=mqquote&t=107569,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,-B1HlfeAmZc'); //]]></script> attachicon.gifYiGunGin.pdf&&0){for(var>)throw>

Just logged back in to say I should have stressed the importance of abdominal breathing while doing the reps.  I like to do them in front of a mirror with my shirt off because it helps me stay aware of both how I am breathing and that I am true to the forms as I can be.

Thank you Alder Logs, much appreciated. I've saved the pdf and printed out a copy. I'll have a read through (along with your notes) tonight and see if I can get up a bit earlier tomorrow and try it out.

kind regards,

Cuboid.

#9 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

And now I know the right search term to find some of your previous posts about it:-

i.e goggle "site:mycotopia.net Yi Gun Gin"

https://mycotopia.ne...s/#entry1245878

https://mycotopia.ne...f/#entry1323398

https://mycotopia.ne...e/#entry1396967

#10 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

And if a kind mod would fix my spelling / typo in this threads title I'd be grateful :)

Pretty please? I'm embarrassed I managed to type Gigong in the title instead of QiGong.

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

I'm sorry, that magic is not in my bag of tricks.  I have no powers at all here.  What can I say, you screwed up.  Your atonement must be to higher gods than I.

• Cuboid likes this

#12 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:22 PM

No need for embarrassment. It's cool. 

• Cuboid likes this

#13 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:11 AM

I have been trying to research a good book on how to properly begin practicing qigong. It seems like every book I found talked a lot about qigong but not the how of practicing it, if that makes sense? I’m going to check out the pdf, and read anything else on it that I can find that may be useful. Thanks guys for bringing this and other things in this school of thought to the message boards,. I really dig this forum.
  • Cuboid likes this

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:18 AM

There are lots of videos online for other Qi Gong forms.  I got a DVD at a garage sale too.  I got several organ specific exercises from my doc to do too. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 25 September 2019 - 12:19 AM.

• Cuboid likes this

#15 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:04 AM

The only place I looked for qigong videos was YouTube. I will make a more thorough search tho. I think my problem was I was trying to find a beginners book and I just couldn’t.

Edit: my father has multiple sclerosis. I often wonder if there is an alternative method to help his depressions, fatigue, balance, lots of different symptoms, and the MS, itself. I mentioned Lions Mane to him to try and promote growth of the myelin where his auto immune disease is effecting his brain and creating lesions. He basically told me he wouldn’t try anything or read about anything his doctor hasn’t brought to his attention.. made me wanna cry lol

Edited by DarkNchildlike, 25 September 2019 - 01:07 AM.

#16 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:02 AM

Pretty please? I'm embarrassed I managed to type Gigong in the title instead of QiGong.

No need to be embarrassed, my friend! Notice how I misspelled "Caterpillar" in my name. I was obviously intending to spell "Caterpillar" as evidenced by my prof pic, but you know what? Screw it, I'm rolling with it lolll... This community is not at all worried about misspellings and nobody here seems to gauge your intelligence by your spelling. It's all about content and genuine connections here. No worries!

• Alder Logs and Cuboid like this

#17 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

No need to be embarrassed, my friend! Notice how I misspelled "Caterpillar" in my name. I was obviously intending to spell "Caterpillar" as evidenced by my prof pic, but you know what? Screw it, I'm rolling with it lolll... This community is not at all worried about misspellings and nobody here seems to gauge your intelligence by your spelling. It's all about content and genuine connections here. No worries!

I totally didn't notice the missing R in your screen name until you brought attention to it. Now I can't un see it lol.

• RainbowCatepillar likes this

#18 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:49 AM

The only place I looked for qigong videos was YouTube. I will make a more thorough search tho. I think my problem was I was trying to find a beginners book and I just couldn’t.

Edit: my father has multiple sclerosis. I often wonder if there is an alternative method to help his depressions, fatigue, balance, lots of different symptoms, and the MS, itself. I mentioned Lions Mane to him to try and promote growth of the myelin where his auto immune disease is effecting his brain and creating lesions. He basically told me he wouldn’t try anything or read about anything his doctor hasn’t brought to his attention.. made me wanna cry lol

That's really quite sad about your dad only listening to his Dr. It really limits your options especially if that is a typical reductionist western medicine Dr. I know you can only lead a hrse to water and not make him drink - so just make sure you keep making the 'water' available and maybe one day your dad's curiosity will get the better of him.

#19 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

I came across this (practically a play list of yube vids):

https://cfs-survivor...tigue-syndrome/

#20 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

Thank you Alder Logs, much appreciated. I've saved the pdf and printed out a copy. I'll have a read through (along with your notes) tonight and see if I can get up a bit earlier tomorrow and try it out.

kind regards,

Cuboid.

I've read through those instructions and my ability to picture the actual moves is really limited apparently. Have you ever come across pictures or video for these sequences?

Edited by Cuboid, 25 September 2019 - 11:53 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!