• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:15 AM

Everyone in my life has been asking me to quit smoking. Everyone that consumes cannibis says I should start eating it. I have been very familiar with cannibis from a very young age, but I just had my first "quality" edible and im sold! I can (half-assed) grow my own, but have never processed it any further. I have to get this down to a simple process and so far what I have come up with is that I need to buy a decarboxylator to minimize the guess work in this phase and that once you decarb the flower and infuse butter or oil the sky is the limit... Any pointers or simple protocols. I really just want to get a simple and effective process to make potent butter. From there it all seems like a natural progression...
  • Skywatcher likes this

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:04 AM

Hi ThirdEyePlants,

This could be a useful resource:-

https://greencamp.co...ke-cannabutter/

Personally I've had success in the past just chopping flower up quite fine using scissors and putting it straight into melted butter over a low heat, keep an eye on it, stir quite a lot so bits don't get stuck on bottom  and burn, keep going until all the flower has turned from green to light brown... which can take 30mins - 45mins or longer. I found it best not to rush it by turning up the heat, it would just burn. Low and slow was the ticket.  Might not be totally optimal but worked fine for my small needs. I'd make ginger biscuits out of the butter with proper stem ginger in them - yum yum! And a pain free good nights sleep pretty much guaranteed if I ate one 2 or 3 hours before bed :)

Kind regards,

Cuboid.

• TheObserver and Skywatcher like this

#3 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:39 AM

I make edibles regularly, here is my process and it turns out a high quality edible ;)

Decarb 10 grams of flower that are ground coarsely, put it in the oven at 220f for about 35 minutes.

I put mine on tinfoil that's slightly wrinkled to get air/heat all around the ground flowers.

Then get a good quality butter, the more fat the better as the THC will adhere to the fat.

Put it in a pan that is oven safe, then the oven at 200f

When the butter is melted, add the decarbed flower. Let ride in the oven for 3-4 hours.

At that low temp, the butter won't burn and the THC will be absorbed. 

Strain using a fine mesh strainer, that's what I have fond to work best. 

Be sure to let the last little bit drain out of the flower and enjoy.

Peace

Edited by crazy1, 20 September 2019 - 04:39 AM.

• Skywatcher and Cuboid like this

#4 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:55 AM

So, what is all the hype behind this nova decarb? Am I really running a risk of destroying my flower if my oven is newer, higher quality, and set at 250? What are the odds I don't get an efficient decarb or extraction in the oven with these temps and times?

#5 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

Without decarbing,  all the TCHA will not become THC. It requires heat for the transformation, hence decarbing. 

I have a newer oven as well, and 250f won't be too hot to decarb. Mine actually goes down to 170f.

on edit: you can set your oven to 300f and only leave the ground flower in there for 10-18 minutes, checking after the 10 minutes to see how it looks. Will turn a lighter green more towards light brown.

If you can't drop the oven temp low enough, you can add a cup of water to the cup of butter. This will help keep the butter from burning and helplengthen the time of your extraction. But that method will be done on the stove top. And not exceed 200f or your butter will begin to burn

Peace

Edited by crazy1, 20 September 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#6 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:21 AM

I understand the necessity for the decarb process and understand the reaction on the herbal conversion side. And my oven does go down to 170, so temp range is not an issue. A lot of the information I have been reading about individual products and techniques seem to very slightly on time and temp and lead you to believe it is a VERY delicate process. I have been told it HAS to be 220 for EXACTLY 40 minutes or the decarboxylation process can not be efficiently completed. Ive also been told 250 for 20 minutes is fine. Which led me to shopping for a 200 dollar product to decarb and a 150 infuser. I deffinately put the horse before the cart on this one.

I guess this could all be summed up by 1 question: Can I royally screw this up as a novice if I just use my oven, a cookie sheet/foil, glassware and some butter?
  • Skywatcher likes this

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

I guess this could all be summed up by 1 question: Can I royally screw this up as a novice if I just use my oven, a cookie sheet/foil, glassware and some butter?

Yes you could if you just went all silly and didn't pay attention to what you are doing.

It is very simple andonly requires attention during the decarbing to be sure you don't under or over do it.

In my experience, 220-45 works great in the 30-45 minute range. The variable is the moisture of the flower when you start.

If you've ever seen vaped bud and the color it has, tanish, just don't go quite that far in your oven tek

Peace

• Thirdeyeplants likes this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:17 AM

I also make my own butter, and that is my main source for consumption. I far prefer the slower come up, the prolonged effects, and the way edibles feel rather than smoking.

I 100% agree with the 220 for 30-40 minutes to decarb.

I prefer to use a crock pot for the infusing process as it will not burn on low with water.

I cook a 50/50 blend of water and good butter, with the decarbed herb for 3 hours or more. I also swear by adding lecithin for the cooking process, and again to the finished butter before putting it in storage containers. Lecithin greatly helps the body absorb the content more efficiently, and has the effect of near doubling the potency of your finished product.

The cooked combination needs to be filtered through fine mesh like several layers of cheesecloth or a fine screen. Wring the solids out to get as much of the butter as possible. I then set the bowl in the refrigerator overnight, and remove the solidified butter off the top the next day. I will re-melt the butter and add the second measure of lecithin, and then pour into small canning jars.

It's not that difficult. You just want to stay low and slow as Cuboid recommended. I would say if you have already invested in the decarboxylator, they work very well for small batch, but if not, your kitchen equiptment works equally well.

After you master butter, coconut oil is another good carrier for baking....

• crazy1 likes this

#9 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

Budder is the best for baking cookies, brownies and such.

There is really no need to actually make budder to bake, though.

Cooking raw cannabis in the recipe decarbs it while baking.

be sure the recipe doesn't require temps over 350 F as this may vaporize the THC.

I love the budder though.

As another option, if you want to make gummies, make some green dragon.

It is another form of ingesting even without making gummies.

Put a ml or so in your drink or take it straight.

Do a search here for the method.

Edited by mushit, 20 September 2019 - 01:55 PM.

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

One thing I’d like to add to this. When you think you have blended enough, blend some more. Unless of course this ruins a recipe which requires a certain time blending or they are over done.

And I’m not arguing mushit so please don’t take it that way. But in adding any component to a recipe, I’d suggest using a liquid made to fit the bill. Just my own personal experience
  • TheObserver and Skywatcher like this

#11 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

One thing I’d like to add to this. When you think you have blended enough, blend some more. Unless of course this ruins a recipe which requires a certain time blending or they are over done.

And I’m not arguing mushit so please don’t take it that way. But in adding any component to a recipe, I’d suggest using a liquid made to fit the bill. Just my own personal experience

This reminds me, I prefer the non overmixed texture when I did ginger biscuits (cookies) but found some were waayyy more potent than others so had to get used to a sub standard texture but consistent dose :-)
  • crazy1 likes this

#12 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

Thank you all, you really put my mind at ease and saved me a bunch of money...
  • crazy1, Skywatcher and Cuboid like this

#13 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,272 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

I make cannabudder in the crockpot. Take a good amount of sugar trim I personally use about 2 oz and melt some good butter in the crockpot, combine the trim, melted butter, cover with pre-boiled water, add a tablespoon or so of lecithin (I'm using sunflower lecithin) and I stir it up good and let it simmer on high for an hour or so and then once its done I strained it with two layers of cheesecloth that I hand press to get all the butter out into a tall container. I strain the butter while it's still hot then pour a little boiling water over the plant material to get the rest of the butter out and finally let that cool on the table for awhile and stick in the fridge overnight. Leaves me with a nice pick of golden Canna-budder. I use it to make oatmeal cookies and I add the lecithin to the cookie batter before baking. A lb of butter usually yields about 26 normal size oatmeal cookies. That's my process just found that works well for me.
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!