17 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

I am hoping for some feedback on some of my ideas, and questions. I can't stand oily/ greasy lotions that don't soak in, and have been using a body butter successfully for skin psoriasis.

This made me want a high dose cannabis butter to use for the pain in the knees and legs.

I have been growing some high CBD plants this year, in addition to a fresh supply for my edible butter. Cannatonic is the strain. I am putting together a recipe for the pain cream, and doing a lot of reading and research on products that are more readily absorbed into the skin.  I have pretty much settled on a Coco butter and Shea butter combo, and an just deciding on the "carrier" of the CBD/THC once infused.

Everything I have read points to Almond Oil as one of the best for making a body butter that is readily absorbed. Here is where I am going to show my novice lake of experience......

I have made a lot of cannabutter for use in edibles, but never used an oil instead of a butter to infuse with the goodies from the buds.

Does anyone know if organic oil like Almond oil will get all the cannabis ingredients out and infused to then be used making the butter? I know coconut oil does, but I want a lighter oil that the skin will absorb.

Also, does anyone have input on the amounts needed to have an effective topical?

All input is greatly appreciated.....

• wildedibles likes this

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:49 PM

I'm fond of Avacado oil for cooking. Super light, nearly tasteless. Might be worth looking at.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

I am going to use Sweet Almond Oil as the carrier for the CBD/THC. I have two methods I am deliberating between to infuse the Cannabis into the oil.

The first is to use a crock pot with the oil and the decarbed herb for 3 hours.

The second is to fill a jar with the decarbed herb and cover with the oil. Shake often and let sit in a dark place for 6 weeks.

Waiting for 6 weeks is not as appealing as having the oil in 24 hours, but if anyone has done the slower infusion, I would love to hear your comments on is it worth the wait and why.

To reiterate, this is not for edibles, it is the base for a topical cream.

• wildedibles and RainbowCatepillar like this

#4 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

I have learned that the CBD and THC are more efficiently extracted to saturated fats. That means the higher the saturated fat content, the better the medicinal will bind to it. This chart shows the various fat contents of most oils.

http://chartsbin.com/view/1961

As a result of this new information, I have had to re-think the carrier oil for this pain cream. I now plan to extract with coconut oil at a very high content. This will allow me to cut the infused coconut oil with Almond oil, to get a lighter weight oil to blend with the Shea and Coco butter. I plan to use vitamin E as a preservative so it will last longer in the jars.

I am almost ready to do this now, and have all my ingredients. On the day I make it, I will be posting a photo illustrated recipe, step by step. I will of course also include a report on effectiveness. I need cheesecloth and for the freakin wind to quit blowing long enough to set up the crockpot on the patio for a day. The herb has cured long enough now to use.

Edited by Skywatcher, 21 October 2019 - 09:26 PM.

• crazy1, wildedibles and RainbowCatepillar like this

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:14 PM

just spitballin' here

could you extract into the high density oil first

then thin that with other oils more consistent with your ideal end product?

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

could you extract into the high density oil first

then thin that with other oils more consistent with your ideal end product?

Yes, that is the plan pharmer..........and I do appreciate you giving a conformation that this is a good compromise. I have the extraction completed and will be working on the next steps later today.

Edited by Skywatcher, 23 October 2019 - 08:37 AM.

• Myc, crazy1 and wildedibles like this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:26 AM

Watching this one closely. I too use a canna-based "lotion" made of coconut oil. It is very greasy, transfers to clothing, and takes a long time to absorb (or wear off onto the furniture). 

Another good preservative is the addition of bees wax. It can help a thinner product to stand-up a little better. 

#8 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

good grief, I managed to read a full paragraph and not retain anything. sorry about that

It's a skill I learned while working at the Department of Redundancy Department

• wildedibles, Skywatcher and RainbowCatepillar like this

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

I made a very small batch for the first trial, enough to fill an 8 oz jar.

Here are the steps I followed.....

STEP ONE- Make the cannabis oil.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups Coconut oil

2 ounces + 10 grams of dried, cured bud and sugar trim (Cannatonic)

4 cups water

soy lecithin

cheesecloth

Crock pot

1. Decarb coarse shredded herb @ 240 F for 60 minutes. I place it in a roasting bag on a cookie sheet. Cool a bit, and run a rolling pin over the bag to get the herb ground well. (not powdered)

1 Harvested dried herb.jpg   2 decarb.jpg 3crushed and prepped.jpg

2. Warm oil in a crock pot to liquefy. Add herb and stir until all the material is oil soaked. Add 1 tblsp. Lecithin. Add 4 cups of water, and cook on low for 4-6 hours, stirring about every 20 or so minutes.

4 melt oil.jpg   5 oil herb water.jpg

3. Let cool a little, and strain through 4 layers (or more) of cheesecloth, into a large bowl. I find it easier to lay the cheesecloth in a fine mesh wire strainer for support.

4. Squeeze out as much oil as you can, then pour boiling water over the spent herb in the cheesecloth strainer to get the last dregs of oil out of the remains.

5. Place bowl with water and oil in the refrigerator overnight. Lift out solidified oil the next morning, and gently wipe off any scum from the bottom.

6 solidified cannaoil.jpg

6. Re-heat oil to liquid, strain again if desired, and add 1/2 tsp. lecithin. Pour in a storage jar until ready to make the body butter.

7 finished oil.jpg

STEP TWO- body butter medicinal cream

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. Coco Butter

3 tbsp. Shea Butter

6 total tbsp oil           4 tbsp canna- coco oil

2 tbsp Almond oil

1 tbsp Arrowroot powder

1 tsp beeswax

(any essential oils you want for fragrance)

8 get all ready.jpg

1. Heat oils, butters, and wax in a double boiler set up. Glass or Pyrex bowl is best.

9 oil butter wax.jpg

2. Once all are melted, add arrowroot powder and stir in until dissolved.

10 melt.jpg

3. Remove bowl, and set in larger bowl with ice. Stir slowly until it starts to gel up on the sides.

11 chill.jpg   12 geling.jpg

4.With a hand mixer start slow and speed up as it thickens. Add essential oils if desired. whip until light and creamy.

13 whipped.jpg

5. Place in a good container for use.

14 ready to use.jpg

Its not perfect yet, but far less greasy than plain oil. I used it right as I finished up making it, and my legs have not burned or itched for 5 hours now,so I would say efficacy is good. It was a high sheen on the skin at first, but kept soaking in, and within 15 minutes seemed no more oily than any of the heavy creams I have been using.

I will keep doing little adjustments as I make more.

• crazy1 and wildedibles like this

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:11 AM

Awesome Sky!!!!

Thanks for the write up and pictures, really glad to hear this isn't too oily and is effective.

Peace and good vibes Brother

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

I am still considering different options, now that I know how this batch worked out. Possibly switching the oil proportions to more Almond and less coconut, or even researching the ability of coco butter and Shea butter to be used as the carrier ?......

The Arrowroot powder is only there to absorb oil, but does not actually remove it or the contents, maybe adding more would alter the feel of the medicated body butter.

I know now that this is effective, and am pretty sure I can figure out how to make it even less oily on the skin, although I am not too unhappy with this batch. I used a sandalwood oil at about 8 drops to add some " earthy "  fragrance to this batch, but even without it had a very nice coco butter smell.

Cooking the batch of cannabis and oil with water allows the water to pull out quite a bit of color and chlorophyll, and some of the natural aromatics so the butter did not smell heavily of the herb. I should have included that when using a lighter oil to make the Canna-oil, one that does not solidify, using a gravy separator to get the oil and pour off the water is a pretty easy and accurate method.

Myc, I should mention that this is all with appreciation to you who shared the first recipe for a pain oil with me..........

I just needed to see if I could make it any better.

• Myc and wildedibles like this

#12 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,886 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm glad you've found a less-greasy formula and cheer you on in finding yet more ways to make this topical more friendly to clothing and furniture. Taking notes.

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

I've got to add a note here, as far as the residual on the skin. Yesterday when I gave it the first try, it was used mid-day, and I had already applied a coco butter lotion in the morning which does leave some residual. I think the double application with the new cream was more responsible for how oily the leftover was because today has not been that way.

Applying the new cream this morning, when my skin and legs are the driest everyday, the cream was much more readily absorbed. There is still some oil residue after about 15 minutes, but not enough that I would feel any concern about wearing pants or socks.

Also, as yesterday, within 15 to 20 minutes, the itching and burning from my eczema and psoriasis was gone.

I am now pretty happy with this but will still nudge it as I make more. I am trying it today on my partners neuropathy pain in his feet and leg calves......

Feedback on that later today.

• Myc and wildedibles like this

#14 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:01 PM

I'm out of likes, but want to say thanks again to both you and Myc.

#15 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

This project seems to be ongoing......

I am determined to keep improving the end product. I have to add a note on efficacy.

My partner has severe neuropathy, and the pain level increases during the day and peaks in the evening. It is the worst in the feet and lower legs.

Until now, nothing tried has had much effect. We were both cautiously optimistic when the first use of the cannabis cream helped get through half of the day with minimal discomfort. Now however after a week of use, there is no doubt it helps a lot. Not 100%, but a substantial reduction in the burning pain sensation. I am thrilled to have the results more than I hoped for.

My further research has found that both the Coco butter and the Shea Butter have saturated fat contents of 50%, making them both in theory, good carriers for the cannabinoids. This ratio is comparable to Palm oil.

I will be making a small batch of " Cannabutter" using a blend of both to use on the next batch. By eliminating the coconut oil altogether, I can use only as much Almond oil as needed to soften the butter mixture to a usable creaminess, and be much more readily absorbed into the skin.

Eventually I hope to have this recipe finalized.

• Myc, crazy1 and Juthro like this

#16 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

Great news Sky!!!!

I am very grateful to hear these positive things

Peace and blessings

#17 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:21 AM

but a substantial reduction in the burning pain sensation

any reduction is a good reduction, substantial is substantially better :)

and this beats having to deal with opioids or some of those freaky frankendrugs the docs are so fond of. expensive and only insubstantially effective

I find it odd that a topical cream helps with deep down in the tissue issues but we don't argue with success

so do I assume correctly this same cream could be baked into brownies? i.e. food safe?

Edited by pharmer, 05 November 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#18 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,949 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:27 PM

Coco butter and Shea butter are both edible products. Shea has a distinct smell, not unpleasant, but I would not say its "appetizing" .

The coconut oil is definitely a good product for baking. I believe Coco butter is used in chocolate, so you could bake with it but I am not to sure of the ratios with that application.

The addition of beeswax and essential oils for fragrance makes it not really edible in my opinion, and once it is whipped, you would probably need to melt it so you could measure correctly.

My partners neuropathy is the result of severe spinal nerve damage, originally in the low back, but thanks to a surgery that went quite badly, traveled down the legs now and is no longer repairable. Because the pain is from nerves firing off with false signals, I believe the cream is getting absorbed through the skin, and soothing the nerve endings subcutaneously.

I wish that was the only pain issue he has, but there are unfortunately other sources as well. He has been off opiates for years, other than occasionally on really bad days, but has steadily been increasing the Gabapentin in an effort to combat all of this.

This cream was planned since last spring, so I am glad the time, effort, and cost have been proving to have been worthwhile.

• crazy1, Juthro and OldBear like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!