• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

What are the preferences between growing Peyote and San Pedro? From what I think I am reading San Pedro grows faster, but Peyote has a higher alkaloids content. So besides the legal aspect is there an advantage of cultivating one over the other? Peyote is my first choice, but from what I am reading perhaps I should also spend some time and effort on San Pedro. That’s what I am trying to decide. Focus on one or both.

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,952 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

I'll give you a recommendation from my own experience.

Grow both.

Peyote is a much slower grower than San Pedro, Peruvians, and Bridgesii.

Content is highest in peyote, but you would have no complaints with 12-18 inches of the Bridgesii, and about 18-24 inches of the Pedro. The columnar s when grown from a reliable cutting will add anywhere from 5 to 7 inches in a year. When you cut or harvest a section, it just keeps growing and usually produces additional pups at the base. As anyone who grows the columnar's will tell you, you eventually have more than you will ever consume.

The peyote's have a strong " presence". You will find yourself enjoying when you are in their aura of presence. They become individual "entities" that share a positive influence on you. Perhaps this is why so many who grow them are reluctant to harvest the button's. From seed it can take ten years to get a decent size yote, as compared to the rate of growth on the columnar's.

This is not to say you would never take the tops. For me, my pedro's shows me a section when I am welcome to take. The peyote's have also offered in the past. If harvested correctly, the peyote's will continue growing and produce new heads.

Comparatively the Lophs take very little space to grow. San Pedro or Bridgesii need more. I personally grow all of them, and have been known to blend different columnar's when the cactus invite me to " share flesh" with them.

I have to say, being with your cactus for some of the journey will change your understanding of them, where they not only are your

"children to care for", but also a teacher more immense than the confines of their cactus body's.

OK, I suppose I have just exposed my eccentricities..............

But I encourage you to have multiple species.

Edited by Skywatcher, 22 September 2019 - 09:30 AM.

• Myc, Sicshroom, Thacan and 3 others like this

#3 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

@Skywatcher thanks so much for a wonderful reply! I am so looking forward to the journey.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#4 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:46 AM

Well put skywatcher, I am currently tending to a small yote garden and a san pedro, and a Peruvian torch. I acquired my yotes with the hopes that they might have helped to guide me through some dark times. They sure did!!! I dont know how, but the relationship I have with them now and the profound respect, has made them a permanent part of my life. Maybe one day they will ask me to share a spirit walk with them, but until that day I will care for them as my own children. I have found the san pedro to be much more willing to share their flesh and join you for a spirit walk.

There is much technical information to be gathered in these forums, but the most important information can only be learned by spending time with these miraculous teachers...
  • Skywatcher and Thacan like this

#5 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

As anyone who grows the columnar's will tell you, you eventually have more than you will ever consume.

This is true. My climate is far from ideal for trichocereus, my plants have to spend over half the year indoors and dormant, but I have many of them and I produce more mescaline than I can eat. I started growing peyote soon after I started growing trichocereus and I'm still just staring at the peyote, far from harvesting them.

Its a bit of a myth that peyote is stronger than trichocereus. The classical published data on peyote alkaloid yield is from half a century ago when 20 year old plants were being harvested and dried slowly over the course of months [which increases their potency]. The peyote being harvested and used today by the native american church is young or fast-grown like a collection grown specimen would be, its dried in a speedy fashion, and its potency is equal to that of a good trichocereus.

But the high is different. The high between different trichocereus is different too, I have one group that are slightly higher yielding in alkaloid than NAC peyote but its a very stimulating electric high with little visuals, 80mg of the alkaloid hydrochlorides from that group accentuate a cup of coffee in a very interesting way but its not great for soulflying. Conversely, I have another group that's 2/3 the strength of NAC peyote and its very visual for mescaline and the peak is like making love to a rainbow. When mixing with harmine I even once broke through into a mescaline version of DMT hyperspace at peak, that was a very interesting surprise!

Grow a diversity and learn their individual personalities. Hybrid seed of known good parents is an excellent way to get a collection going.

And, of course, peyote and trichocereus do not have to be separate entities.

post-13016-0-07929400-1568003253.jpg

A year ago this peyote was just a nice sized pup on another button. The stock is an active specimen that is not much weaker than NAC peyote.

Edited by ElrikEriksson, 22 September 2019 - 01:01 PM.

• Skywatcher, Thirdeyeplants and Thacan like this

#6 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:18 PM

I wanna make love to a rainbow...
  • Skywatcher, Sicshroom and Thacan like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!