• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

My next grow will likely be PE, but I have no experience outside of PF tek so my question is what is you favorite tek for PE? I have tried (and will continue) digging around in the archives but I haven’t found anything specifically on this subject. If you have a link please provide it here. I believe that I have the proper equipment or can adapt or improvise so that is not a limitation; I just want to know what experienced growers have found to work and perhaps what unique pitfalls to avoid. Cheers
  • cybele and LBowDeep like this

#2 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:01 AM

I received a PE spore swab years ago, it was very highly recommended to me that PE be isolated on agar prior to testing its fruiting abilities since other cultivators repeatedly regurgitated the fact that it performs poorly from multispore. Another reoccurring subject is pe performing notoriously poorly on pf cakes. So you may want to advance your skill set to include agar and grains before giving pe a whirl.

I never succeeded in culturing a good performing isolate of pe myself so I never got around to fruiting it but everyone i spoke with said it takes a average of 21days opposed to "the other" cubensis that pin at 14days and mature by 21-25day mark.

That's all the info I've dug up about them.
  • Thacan and LBowDeep like this

#3 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

I have just started Agar work and have some successful cultures going of other strains on Petri dishes, but have not started PE as of yet. I also have everything I need to begin grain spawn, but I am not sure what grain and substrate to try. I am leaning toward rye berry and then coir&verm. Thanks for the advise, I will inoculate in agar and then transfer to grain. This will be my first grain spawn.

If others with experience are reading this thread please let me know what you think works best.
  • LBowDeep likes this

#4 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

I have just started Agar work and have some successful cultures going of other strains on Petri dishes, but have not started PE as of yet. I also have everything I need to begin grain spawn, but I am not sure what grain and substrate to try. I am leaning toward rye berry and then coir&verm. Thanks for the advise, I will inoculate in agar and then transfer to grain. This will be my first grain spawn.

If others with experience are reading this thread please let me know what you think works best.

Like FunG mentioned a common occurrence is longer colonization, and fruit times. As well, as a general agreement that PE and APE need casing layers.

A good friend of mine exclusively grows APE and he follows wharfrat’s dubtub pictorial https://mycotopia.ne...t-a-4-part-tek/

It’s growing using four Dubtubs which means you can test your agar isolates side by side. Since you are getting started with agar inoculate a couple plates with a syringe/print, and isolate it out. Then you can transfer an agar wedge to your grain of choice.
  • bezevo, Thacan and LBowDeep like this

#5 darkkon

darkkon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:41 PM

foaf havent specifically done PE but ecuador, and those are very cocoa fiber and holy cow (Shit) mixed is a charm

• Thacan and LBowDeep like this

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

Do we really need to do all the foaf stuff still? Or is it actually a foaf
  • coorsmikey, PJammer24, adrian118 and 4 others like this

#7 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:42 PM

PE Tek: Take your syringe and throw it in the trash and grow a real strain. :D 

• onediadem, PJammer24, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#8 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,252 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:20 PM

It seems that now a days, PE belongs in the trash. Most everyone I see growing it lately is growing blobs. IDK I guess folks like blobs, have you seen that mutant enigma strain thats going around. I wouldn't be surprised that is todays PE renamed. 

@OP Thacan, PE doesn't require a certain tek. Its a cubensis, any solid tek will work. Just wait for pins before putting into fruiting conditions. If you try and "Force fruit" you will dry it or drown it while waiting for pins.

Edited by coorsmikey, 22 September 2019 - 07:24 PM.

• sandman, PJammer24, Salem and 3 others like this

#9 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 881 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

does anyone  have  any decent PE or APE  genetics preserved that hasnt mutated to ENIGMA BLOBS ?

i bet some  one still as some  decent genetics, isolated and stored away.

ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh  it might be a secret ?

Edited by bezevo, 22 September 2019 - 07:46 PM.

• Thacan, FunG and LBowDeep like this

#10 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:46 PM

I have a thin 9 year old print from PE which I hope to revive, its one of the many reasons I've started practicing agar work.

I had no idea it had degenerated so much, I'm glad I was gifted a print weeks before I took a long break from mushrooms.

There are so many serious collectors, why don't lots of people have old preserved spores, mycelium water, and colonized wood chips?

Or am I the only one who doesn't throw away backups of backups, just in case? :laugh:

At the very least, can't someone just grow 20 strains from a spore sample from degenerated PE and find one that will grow well?

Another option would be backcrossing PE6 with PE to get something new and more like PE than PE6, it's another thing on my list of 40 reasons to practice agar weekly :wink:

• LBowDeep likes this

#11 LBowDeep

LBowDeep

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

I'm a complete newb and know practically nothing.  I'm not disputing any of the posts in this thread.  

I got PE spores for my first grow (currently in the first flush) and followed a BRF tek, and I've had zero issues---no super slow fruiting, contamination, or the white blobs I see mentioned in these forums.  

Beginner's luck? Highly likely.  But I did purchase spores from a highly reliable source, I followed the tek obsessively (even though BRF isn't recommended for PE), and I have been obsessed with sanitary grow/work conditions from the outset.  Some of the mushrooms coming in right now are going to be sheer monsters. 

We'll see how things progress for this flush and additional flushes.  Things are looking good for the time being.  I'm going to start on a batch of Golden Teacher with the BRF tek again, and after that I plan on shifting to a more advanced tek.

Thank you for the shared wealth of knowledge.

SHROOMS--10:5:19--1.jpg

• sandman and Thacan like this

#12 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

It seems that now a days, PE belongs in the trash. Most everyone I see growing it lately is growing blobs. IDK I guess folks like blobs, have you seen that mutant enigma strain thats going around. I wouldn't be surprised that is todays PE renamed. 

@OP Thacan, PE doesn't require a certain tek. Its a cubensis, any solid tek will work. Just wait for pins before putting into fruiting conditions. If you try and "Force fruit" you will dry it or drown it while waiting for pins.

does anyone  have  any decent PE or APE  genetics preserved that hasnt mutated to ENIGMA BLOBS ?

i bet some  one still as some  decent genetics, isolated and stored away.

ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh  it might be a secret ?

My next grow will likely be PE, but I have no experience outside of PF tek so my question is what is you favorite tek for PE? I have tried (and will continue) digging around in the archives but I haven’t found anything specifically on this subject. If you have a link please provide it here. I believe that I have the proper equipment or can adapt or improvise so that is not a limitation; I just want to know what experienced growers have found to work and perhaps what unique pitfalls to avoid. Cheers

OP, here's me messing around with them:

https://mycotopia.ne...us-of-my-penis/

Everyone else, I don't grow blobs, in fact I'm still working with the PE that morphed back to one of its genetic 'parents'. Looks like a normal cube but grows slow and weighs way more than other cubes. 

• sandman, PJammer24, Thacan and 1 other like this

#13 LBowDeep

LBowDeep

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

P.E.'s continue to grow after the veil breaks, so harvest them when the caps are turned up and kind of beaten up looking. 

But there has to be a point of diminishing returns, at least from a potency standpoint, right?  At what point does one harvest P.E.'s to achieve both optimal size and potency?

• CatsAndBats and Thacan like this

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

P.E.'s continue to grow after the veil breaks, so harvest them when the caps are turned up and kind of beaten up looking. 

But there has to be a point of diminishing returns, at least from a potency standpoint, right?  At what point does one harvest P.E.'s to achieve both optimal size and potency?

When they're done growing. I subscribe to the belief that the PE strains are stronger because of their slower growing rate. 

I basically threw that in their because I saw people harvesting way too early.

Here's some more about potency:

https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1410459

• sandman, Thacan and LBowDeep like this

#15 LBowDeep

LBowDeep

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

When they're done growing. I subscribe to the belief that the PE strains are stronger because of their slower growing rate. 

I basically threw that in their because I saw people harvesting way too early.

Here's some more about potency:

https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1410459

Thank you.  This settles a question I was concerned about, if only because there's so much conflicting information out there.

I've seen a lot more conflicting information surrounding temperature and light with fruiting PE.  I've had my babies at a consistent 75 degrees, and I put them under twin LED lights for 12 hours during the day and in total dark in the closet for 12.  

• CatsAndBats and Thacan like this

#16 LBowDeep

LBowDeep

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

Is there a recommended next step after doing BRF tek?  Monotub?  If so, what tek should I try?

• Thacan likes this

#17 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:10 PM

Is there a recommended next step after doing BRF tek?  Monotub?  If so, what tek should I try?

I continue to research this topic and here is one of the popular teks for monotub that was compiled by wharfrat a few years ago.

https://mycotopia.ne...t-a-4-part-tek/

Beware that some have found that the coffee in this tek can promote contaminates and from what I have read you can just leave it out.

More to follow as I find them.

Good luck

• LBowDeep likes this

#18 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:22 PM

The next step after PF cakes would likely be dubtubs or similar.

Monotubs are big. They yield a lot but one failure wipes out lots of spawn and substrate. Not only that but you're left with a large pile of just one variety, that's fine if your selling, host mushroom orgies, or just dont mind monotony. With dubtubs you can cheaply grow medium size crops of a range of mushroom varieties. Dubtubs also use the same size pressure cooker most people buy for doing PF cakes [large enough to hold 4 pint jars or 6 cake jars], people can spawn monos with pint jars, but most seem to prefer quarts.

As someone who never sells, likes variety, and sadly doesnt host mushroom orgies I doubt I'll ever do a mono.

• LBowDeep likes this

#19 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

Im currently awaiting for the popcorn to finish so i can shake it, of pe that "someone" sent me.

(thanks buddy, you know who you are)

I did a few agar transfers from a derrrty swab. My agar was almost consumed by the time I got to getting the popcorns.

Im not having as much luck with the pf classics on grain. Second run with popcorn and it seems to be telling me to eff off or just going suuuuper slow. It didnt like WBS
  • LBowDeep likes this

#20 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

Maybe this will help if you're a visual person (minus the heat pad, 9:38 for results).  PE prefers mono/dubtubs, expect slower colonization and fruiting times.  Also expect approximately 2x the potency compared to other cubes like GT and B+.  Good luck!

https://www.youtube....h?v=POuozQp5ohk

Edited by LegoMyego, 20 October 2019 - 10:37 AM.

• Thacan, Jinroh and LBowDeep like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!