19 replies to this topic

#1 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

Well the title says it all lol

I'm going with a tent and soil grow. My biggest question is lighting, and what is the preferred way to go.

I'll be using a 24"x48"x60" tent so it's not a huge grow.

My seeds from Crop King are on their way, I decided to go with Northern Lights which is a strain I enjoyed years ago.

With all I have read here the lighting is my only question. I don't want to waste money and have a substandard grow.

Thanks in advance my friends

Peace

• Foster, Skywatcher and Furthur1 like this

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:21 PM

Ok looking around on the interwebs I found this "kit". 

This one is an HID system, but also comes in LED........opinions?

https://growace.com/checkout/cart/

• Advocate4TheMT likes this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,983 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

Ok looking around on the interwebs I found this "kit". 

This one is an HID system, but also comes in LED........opinions?

https://growace.com/checkout/cart/

The cart is empty... please link to the product page.

Inquiring minds want to know!

#4 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:04 PM

We’re past the rest. (Metal halide and sodium) Don’t even question it. Do LED. The PAR, and spectrum they can dial in is incredible. And you can literally (not figuratively) sit them on top of your plant. Spend the extra couple bucks, get a nice light with some nuts watt wise!! Im telling you your ladies will have fuckin bark on them. During Veg add a t5 fluorescent panel. There will be endless opinions on this topic. But for your size tent its the logical choice to eliminate the need to exhaust excessive amounts of heat. It makes room for you to dial it in and make that tent the best producer it can be. It will save you money on equipment, and your power bill wont even go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • onediadem, crazy1, Furthur1 and 1 other like this

#5 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:39 AM

Sorry Roc here is the one I was thinking TENT

But if I go with the LED option, then THIS would be my choice

Peace

• Leedleleedle5000 likes this

#6 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

I checked out the links and several of their complete kits. They are nice but seem a little pricey.  

I think that could be pieced together (which yeah is more hassle) for quite a bit less.  

So what size tent are you actually looking at?

There are some really nice LED options available now, and you dont have to go with the red/blue/purple visible spectrum. I'm seeing some pretty spectacular grows with these and I am considering a switch myself.

The 600 is your best bet if you go HID. More lumens per watt and you can find really good prices on them if you dont mind spending the time shopping online..

Im not sure if odor is a big issue, but a quality carbon filter is essential if so. You can find many that appear to be the same size and CFM rating, with a wide range on pricing. The thing to look at is weight. The less expensive ones are less expensive for a reason. The actual amount of, and depth of the carbon bed.

With a cheaper versions it is easy to overpower the filter, reducing its effectiveness and lifespan.  Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Personally  I like a Can brand and I refill it myself when needed.

Im looking for some links on LED's that were given to me by some cats with actual experience, multiple grows, DIY builds, and lots of testing done.

I'm gonna pm ya. ;)  Maybe we can hookup in chat when we get free time and share some ideas thoughts.

peace!

• crazy1 likes this

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:52 PM

Hey Foster thanks stopping in!!

Yes those are a bit pricey, but any stores that would be trustworthy are a good distance away from me, like an hour.

And I now have my 3 yr old with me all the time which is awesome!! But somewhat limits what I do during the day.

I could piece it together I'm sure, but I don't know much about the LED's and figured a system like that is balanced and will definitely take out some "adjusting" in the grow.

I'm open to learning all I can about the LED's and maybe expanding after a few grows to understand them. 

As to tent size, what I can afford LOL!!!!!

The HID system is less and I can swing the 8x4 tent in that set up. With the LED's, a 4x4 set up. Either way, it'll be a soil grow and I prefer the Air Pots to what they offer but ya know.....

Looking forward to chatting with you Brother

Peace

#8 Schrist1

Schrist1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

Hi! Im new and been reading alot..I didn't want to buy a kit online. And I wanted to do a monotub setup. Watched alot of videos, read, searched.... Learned alot and will continue to learn. In the future I will make my own substrate etc.
I have 2 black 40 quart totes. Not super big. About 12 inches wide, 14 high, 16 long. For my first time I did order 2 grain bags from the Midwest. I have my spore also. I was thinking of using one tote with holes and poly fil, the other with no holes just vent the top daily ..this is for fruiting.. For colonizing just put top on and cover for 10 days. Is there any benefit to placing foil on top of substrate during tub colonization? Plan on using a horse manure mix for casing from the Midwest also.. Any thoughts would be great to hear.. Thanks! Scott

#9 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:37 AM

Welcome to the thread my friend and I wish you the best in your grow. But this is about an indoor Cannabis grow ;)

Hey 4theMT, you mentioned adding a T5 bank during Veg. What I was wondering, since you obviously have some experience here, is what spectrum?

Just add a 54w T5 bank with 6400K standard or go with the "power veg" spectrum?

I'm thinking I'd add an 8 bulb bank in the center and 2 4 bulb banks on the ends. 

Your input is greatly appreciated my friend

Peace

• Tenderfoot likes this

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

Well, I've had a few chats with folks about LED's and have finally ordered my lights. Went with Black Dog, will link later and 3 4 bulb T5's to supplement as was suggested. 

I almost have all the requirements here for a grow room, aprox 6' x 9 .5' and will continually update this thread

Peace

• Dipole and Advocate4TheMT like this

#11 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:34 PM

Well, I've had a few chats with folks about LED's and have finally ordered my lights. Went with Black Dog, will link later and 3 4 bulb T5's to supplement as was suggested.

I almost have all the requirements here for a grow room, aprox 6' x 9 .5' and will continually update this thread

Peace

That will be perfect for that tent !!

• crazy1 likes this

#12 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

Look how happy LED and T5 makes the ladies.266a02f576674500670936d83898bee2.jpg58b9735299ba42192cd6d1d29a5d2dc2.jpg9d97bac45e3fbd4604a5fe56daa35aec.jpg

You dont have to worry about your girls stretching because of how close you can put the light. In flower when the lights would come on id sit them a
Couple inches from the tips of the colas and by the time they would go off id have to raise them.
My last panel ran for a couple years strait and never got any warmer than what felt nice to put your cheek against.

Edited by Advocate4TheMT, 05 October 2019 - 02:00 PM.

• crazy1, Dipole and Tenderfoot like this

#13 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,340 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

Your plant look very nice.  How do you like the LEDs so far?

#14 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

Your plant look very nice. How do you like the LEDs so far?

Ive been using them for years and years. And now there way better and half the price. Until theres a new technology Made for lighting, i will always use LED over all the other options. Wait thats a lie, i also like to hang t5 fluorescent panels vertically shining from side to side in the tent. Even if its one panel that you rotate. Also i use the small spotlight LED’s mounted shining from the ground up through and in between the ladies. Remember they dont get hot. You can make it so your “popcorn nugs” are fucking as big as colas.

Edited by Advocate4TheMT, 13 October 2019 - 05:41 PM.

• crazy1, Dipole and Tenderfoot like this

#15 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:34 AM

Beautiful little ladies there 4theMT

Thanks for your input here and the further explanation of your lighting. I appreciate you adding that.

MY T5's will be here today, 3 - 4 light units to go with the LED's then I can begin getting everything set up and going.

Peace

#16 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

Beautiful little ladies there 4theMT

Thanks for your input here and the further explanation of your lighting. I appreciate you adding that.

MY T5's will be here today, 3 - 4 light units to go with the LED's then I can begin getting everything set up and going.

Peace

Nice!!! You must be psyched! I

• crazy1 likes this

#17 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:06 PM

I am pretty dang excited my friend that's for sure

Thanks for your input here, it is very much appreciated.

Peace

#18 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,598 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:17 PM

Don't want to hijack but I think my input is pertinent here. I have just started myself. Never have grown the green before so I am learning as I go. I have a 4 foot 4 bulb T5 for my seedlings and vegetative growth and two King LED lights for the later veg stages and the bloom stage. So far the T5 seems to do a little better in the veg mode but the King LED work great in the veg as well. Have not made it to bloom yet so I cant elaborate on how well the lights work during that phase.

Started this grow from seeds I found. I will order some for the next round.

Once I'm sure I wont embarrass myself I will post some pics in a new thread lol

Edited by dial8, 07 November 2019 - 01:19 PM.

• crazy1 likes this

#19 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Dial8 and welcome to the thread!!

Great to see you my friend and you’re more than welcome to post here.

Peace

Edited by crazy1, 07 November 2019 - 03:22 PM.

• dial8 likes this

#20 Melonmuziq

Melonmuziq

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted Today, 12:02 PM

Looks like u have been getting some great advise. How is it working out?
It may be a little late but i will add an equation. A good rule of thumb is: low end 2000 lumins per square foot. High end 3000/sq ft.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!