• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

I am very interested in learning about peyote. Can it be grown by the average person? I've never experienced the effects of it or even had it available to me. Im interested in making another dream come true.

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,667 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:24 AM

Try looking here: 

1. Here We Grow
  2. Botanicals
Botanicals
Ask and answer questions about Cactus & Entheogens & other Psychedelics

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

Anyone can grow the peyote, unless you just have a black thumb.............

It is an exercise in patience however......................

The most difficult part if you are growing from seeds, is the first 3 months. They need near saturated humidity to germinate and grow until they have enough roots to slowly ween into the natural humidity levels. They are not much different from other cactus. Well draining soil, easy on the nitrogen, and lime rich soil mix.

It will take 10 years or more to get a size that could be safely harvested without killing the plant, and you would want 8-12 or don't bother. This is why most cactus aficionados also grow the active columnar's like San Pedro, Puruvian's, or Bridgesii.

These also contain mescaline and various alkaloids, and are reasonably fast growers putting on 6+ inches per year. You need 12-24 inches depending on the species and the specific genetics.

I would encourage you to try.

• onediadem likes this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:51 PM

https://www.ebay.com...UIAAOSwpO1dceP9

https://www.ebay.com...211/bn_67865699

#5 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:28 AM

Thank you for the info. .. there is some serious research for me to do. I am busy, but have plenty of time for things such as these. Ten years? I've gained respect for these creations. Wow, that is impressive. ..... I will be gathering(mentally) for the next few weeks.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#6 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

It will take 10 years or more to get a size that could be safely harvested without killing the plant, and you would want 8-12 or don't bother.

If you sprinkle peyote seeds on moist soil in a covered food container they will be big enough to graft to pereskiopsis in a couple weeks. Once successfully grafted to pereskiopsis they can be the size of a golf ball in six months. If then grafted to trichocereus they could be the size of a tennis ball in another 12 to 18 months.

Of course, at harvest the alkaloid content is inversely proportional to the speed at which it grew, but if you harvest the button, callous it, and age it in the shade for 3+ months its potency will increase.

Pereskiopsis is a leaf bearing cactus that grows like a weed, it can be rooted in water and when planted in soil it likes consistently moist and often wet soil that receives lots of tomato fertilizer.

• Boorick76 likes this

#7 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

It will take 10 years or more to get a size that could be safely harvested without killing the plant, and you would want 8-12 or don't bother.

If you sprinkle peyote seeds on moist soil in a covered food container they will be big enough to graft to pereskiopsis in a couple weeks. Once successfully grafted to pereskiopsis they can be the size of a golf ball in six months. If then grafted to trichocereus they could be the size of a tennis ball in another 12 to 18 months.
Of course, at harvest the alkaloid content is inversely proportional to the speed at which it grew, but if you harvest the button, callous it, and age it in the shade for 3+ months its potency will increase.

Pereskiopsis is a leaf bearing cactus that grows like a weed, it can be rooted in water and when planted in soil it likes consistently moist and often wet soil that receives lots of tomato fertilizer.
I am researching grafting techniques, as well as different types of cacti. This is way more in depth than previously considered. Still, very doable.
Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Coopdog likes this

#8 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,684 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

You can buy San Pedro, Peruvianis and Bridgessii on Ebay and even Amazon. They are also legal to buy and posess in most places. A quick google search will net you big fat tops and center pieces that you can buy. You can have one hell of a weekend of beautiful healing and happiness with enough left over to plant and grow for about $75 or so. The cuttings generally run about $20 apiece for a big fat 3-4 inch thick one foot long cutting. Look for Bridgessii as it is the next strongest under Peyote, and then Peruvianis (Peruvian flame) and Pachanoi (San Pedro)

They say that San Pedro is the weakest of the three, but it is the one that has given me the most love out of the three. I have yet to do Peruvianis, but was gifted a cutting of a particularly powerful one a couple years ago that is now big enough to start to think about what part of it she can part with. I hope you find some as I believe the cactus experience to be the most beautiful thing that has ever happened to me over the years and I am very grateful for having met these amazing things. They all have spirits, and I swear they are sentient beings. If you grow some, you will see what I mean. 

• Boorick76 and RainbowCatepillar like this

#9 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

You can buy San Pedro, Peruvianis and Bridgessii on Ebay and even Amazon. They are also legal to buy and posess in most places. A quick google search will net you big fat tops and center pieces that you can buy. You can have one hell of a weekend of beautiful healing and happiness with enough left over to plant and grow for about $75 or so. The cuttings generally run about $20 apiece for a big fat 3-4 inch thick one foot long cutting. Look for Bridgessii as it is the next strongest under Peyote, and then Peruvianis (Peruvian flame) and Pachanoi (San Pedro)

They say that San Pedro is the weakest of the three, but it is the one that has given me the most love out of the three. I have yet to do Peruvianis, but was gifted a cutting of a particularly powerful one a couple years ago that is now big enough to start to think about what part of it she can part with. I hope you find some as I believe the cactus experience to be the most beautiful thing that has ever happened to me over the years and I am very grateful for having met these amazing things. They all have spirits, and I swear they are sentient beings. If you grow some, you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the info. Im a bit intimidated by it. One thing, Im afraid if I nurture and lovingly grow one of these, I won't be able to cut on it, especially if I get a vibe it has its own spirit. The next, is I want to experience it in a respectful way, not just use it up.
This is definitely something im going to start soon. I may not get to experiencing it for a bit, but it seems like these work the best like that.
Im always looking at things one way, coming in/starting these threads, and leaving with a completely different view... not sure if that's a good thing or not.
  • Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#10 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Cutting a columnar doesnt really have a 'using it up' feel the way cutting a button might.

When you cut it you leave the bottom 6-8" to sprout a new branch and you can save the top 6-8" to callous and root out for a duplicate plant.

Its more like helping them multiply and taking a commission :wink:

• Coopdog, Skywatcher and Boorick76 like this

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

One thing, Im afraid if I nurture and lovingly grow one of these, I won't be able to cut on it, especially if I get a vibe it has its own spirit. The next, is I want to experience it in a respectful way, not just use it up.

Respectful is always rewarded.

Auxin is so right about helping them to propagate. Knowing you have insured it's continuation creates a " bond" between you. Yes, you will feel it's spirit. But when you are the caregiver, and already shared time with it and watched it grow, the cactus will willingly share flesh with you. I personally believe they actually guide and teach during the time when you are both one. Mine will "call" to me, offering an invitation when I have need. They have actually showed me the portion being offered.

I would not think of this " using it up" under respectful care and nurturing, but more as a freeing of both spirits.....

(yes, some would consider me eccentric)

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Auxin and 2 others like this

#12 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,684 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

The three I mentioned grow fast and put on up to a foot a year of new growth. Mine are now almost shoulder height, and getting hard to move lol. The other day when I carried them in for the winter, I had to bend over significantly to get through the doorways and strained my back in doing so because carrying the pot they were nearly to the ceiling. You will greatly enjoy growing these things, and they are very forgiving except for temperatures too low. Buy enough to brew some up and plant both, and you will have a lifetime supply. I love to gift the cuttings to people and they love getting them whether they know what the cacti are capable of or not. They are very beautifui ornamental plants and are discreet to own because very few people are aware of their magical properties. 

I gifted a nice cutting to a female friend a few years ago, and she finally retired last year. When she retired she was wishing she had some sort of monumental experience to commemorate the huge change in her life, and I had the impression that she might enjoy the gift that a good trip can give being the open minded type. I told her that the cactus I gave her a few years ago was more than capable of providing just such an experience for her, she was quite amazed that she had been growing this magical cactus and entirely unaware of the fact that it was. It had been thriving for her, and she took a picture of it and showed it to me, and I told her how to do it. She was nervous, but determined to do it. Took her a while, but when she finally got it done she wrote me a LONG letter about what an amazing and soulful experience it was and that made me very happy. When I had given it to her as a housewarming gift I was unsure if I should tell her about it or not and ended up not mentioning it. She was very shocked and surprised when I finally did, and I got the impression it was very good for her in many ways. I think everyone should partake in these things at least once in their lives, and that it would make the world a much better place if they did. 

I very much encourage you to look them up and get some going. They are a very rewarding hobby for sure and are very aesthetic and beautiful ornamentals as well. When they finally reward you with a bloom you will be blown away how one 6 inch flower can make your entire yard smell so good. 

Edited by Coopdog, 05 October 2019 - 07:36 PM.

• Skywatcher, Auxin, Thacan and 1 other like this

#13 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

...when I carried them in for the winter, I had to bend over significantly to get through the doorways and strained my back in doing so because carrying the pot they were nearly to the ceiling... 

I've done that repeatedly. Remember, bend at the knees and waddle like a duck :wink:

When the core is nice and sturdy and fat and you dont think the weight will snap it, one thing I've done is put on goggles, take clippers, and clip off a patch of spines the size of your hand about half way up the stem. Then you can put on a glove, grab the pot with one hand, grab the despined patch of stem with the gloved hand, and carry it like a log.

• Coopdog likes this

#14 Boorick76

Boorick76

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

Thanks to each of you, for sharing about this with me. Last night, I consumed what I thought would be a small dose of my GTs. Happily, it took me deeper than expected. In a quiet moment, I looked at this topic....
Coop... your story was just what I needed at that moment. I laughed aloud and a joyful tear came to my eye. What a wonderful story. I could actually picture you trying to move a big cactus and the gift within a gift, for your friend,
is truly priceless. Thank you for that. Very enlightening.
My long gone grandmother, used to have a front room with big windows, almost like a greenhouse. I have fond memories of all the different plants, almost no room to walk, many if which were cacti. I would do anything to go back and learn about the way she kept all those different plants so happy. She may have had a few magic guys mixed in. I've had some luck with growing things. Probably got the green thumb from grandma.
What struck me deeply, is how much you all felt the vibe I was feeling. These spirits or beings are surrounded in these threads. I can feel them calling to me, through your posts. It's very powerful, yet calming.
  • Coopdog, Skywatcher and RainbowCatepillar like this

#15 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,944 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:11 AM

...when I carried them in for the winter, I had to bend over significantly to get through the doorways and strained my back in doing so because carrying the pot they were nearly to the ceiling... 

I've done that repeatedly. Remember, bend at the knees and waddle like a duck :wink:

When the core is nice and sturdy and fat and you dont think the weight will snap it, one thing I've done is put on goggles, take clippers, and clip off a patch of spines the size of your hand about half way up the stem. Then you can put on a glove, grab the pot with one hand, grab the despined patch of stem with the gloved hand, and carry it like a log.

I use a rectangle of cardboard to keep the spines away from my skin during the moves. Super helpful for the taller columns.

Up and down the damned basement steps every year. Rinse, repeat.

• Coopdog, Auxin and Boorick76 like this

#16 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

I have my first San Pedro cactus cutting sitting here with me. It brings me so much calm and joy. I talk to it and greet it when I enter the room.. 

I was just telling a friend how powerful they feel. They stand so powerfully reaching to the light with their spines sticking out like antennae. It feels like it brings so much good energy into my space and I just bask in it! 

My hope is that it will root properly because I already love it so much.

It's official, I've got the cactus growing itch! I will definitely be growing a bunch. Will soon be buying more pots and soil  :biggrin:

#17 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,684 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

For me it has taken half a year for them to root properly and start growing most times. Others have had much quicker results but I live in a mostly unheated home, so the cooler temps could have something to do with it. You don't want to water them much if at all while they are trying to root as that can cause them to rot. Test them once a month or so, by gently moving them just a little bit. You will know immediately when they are rooted as they will be solidly in place. I always wait until I see fresh new greet at the top of the column before watering. I have tried to rush it a couple times and both times lost that cutting, so keep them dry until they root! :) 

• Skywatcher and RainbowCatepillar like this

#18 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

For me it has taken half a year for them to root properly and start growing most times. Others have had much quicker results but I live in a mostly unheated home, so the cooler temps could have something to do with it. You don't want to water them much if at all while they are trying to root as that can cause them to rot. Test them once a month or so, by gently moving them just a little bit. You will know immediately when they are rooted as they will be solidly in place. I always wait until I see fresh new greet at the top of the column before watering. I have tried to rush it a couple times and both times lost that cutting, so keep them dry until they root! :) 

Thanks for the advice, Coopdog!
My friend who gave me the cutting warned me not to water it too soon as well.
I appreciate the reminder! I will test it in a month! I can't wait till it gets big enough for me to give a cutting to someone else. 
Gotta spread the love :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!