10 replies to this topic

#1 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

Hey all, hope you had a good weekend?

So after researching the threads and a few videos I started some jars of liquid culture 10 days ago.

I inoculated a quart of ALC, APE and GT. The ALC water has turned slightly cloudy but shows no growth visible with the naked eye. The GT exploded and colonized the jar quickly. The APE on the other hand has had growth but it has been extremely slow at a snails pace compared to the GT. Since this is my first attempt at liquid cultures I am unsure if this is normal growth for different strains... some being faster than others?

I guess what I am really trying to figure out about this APE is when do I consider the jar colonized? It has been 10 days since inoculation so do I just let it keep going no matter how long it takes or is there a time limit when I should consider the jar as good as it is going to get? Keep in mind I used spores to inoculate, not other cultures which I assume would be preferable but this is all I had. The ALC syringe was super dark with spores but as far as mycelium growth I see no floating fibers. I will test it in agar but my hopes are low with that jar.

What you see in the image is the APE... 10 days growth. Definitely growing but not sure if that amount after 10 days is normal or not. I have read that APE can be slow. I do break up the jars once every evening on a stir plate. What you see is definitely more than I started with so any results after this point I am still happy! I am just not sure when to start using it. With the amount we see here, I am not sure how much percentage of mycelium I could draw into a syringe even if I flip the jar upside down.

Input? Suggestions?

APE 10 Days.jpg

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

Shake the jar to break up the myc and draw your syringe.

• Jinroh likes this

#3 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

Shake the jar to break up the myc and draw your syringe.

So this comes down to technique while drawing the liquid rather than waiting for more colonization? Do you think I should start using this jar if it tests out on Agar right now? Or should I wait for more colonization first?

#4 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

I can barely make out the writing in mobile ver for mycotopia.

What I gathered is the gt's out performed the ape which is common, anything besides pe6 are to mutated to grow at a decent rate, it's the gnomes of the spores themselves, they're different....mutated. so never expect ape which is even further mutated to grow like a traditional cubensis.

As for the liquid cultures you need a marble or ball bearing to break up the mycelium, it's impossible to suck it up in a syringe when its dense and heavy and often times even if successful it will clog during inoculation.....I'm not a fan of lc's but to each their own.
  • Jinroh likes this

#5 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

I can barely make out the writing in mobile ver for mycotopia.

What I gathered is the gt's out performed the ape which is common, anything besides pe6 are to mutated to grow at a decent rate, it's the gnomes of the spores themselves, they're different....mutated. so never expect ape which is even further mutated to grow like a traditional cubensis.

As for the liquid cultures you need a marble or ball bearing to break up the mycelium, it's impossible to suck it up in a syringe when its dense and heavy and often times even if successful it will clog during inoculation.....I'm not a fan of lc's but to each their own.

Thanks for the input... yes I understand. I have magnetic stir bars in my cultures. I will post a pic of what the APE myc looks like when stirred up.

#6 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:15 PM

OK, here is an image of the jar after 30 seconds on a stir plate. Very hard to photograph floating mycelium in a clear liquid with the lighting that I have. Now that I look at it more closely, this is probably sufficient to start using. I plan to make some test plates this evening. I will update this topic when anything interesting happens.

APE stirred.JPG

#7 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 426 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:54 PM

Hey jinroh. I'm also having a hard time reading on the mobile version. Please consider changing the font color to darker color. I have to highlight the text to read it and it hurts my eyes to read lol
  • Ripples likes this

#8 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

Hey jinroh. I'm also having a hard time reading on the mobile version. Please consider changing the font color to darker color. I have to highlight the text to read it and it hurts my eyes to read lol

I will just leave the color default from now on. I originally chose the color because it stood out. I guess not so much on a small screen.

• Ripples likes this

#9 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

Lc looks great and crystal clear like it should be!

Mobile Vs. Full version for reference.

Screenshot from 2019-09-30 19-58-09.png

Mobile Version^^^

Screenshot from 2019-09-30 19-58-50.png

Full Version^^^^

• Jinroh likes this

#10 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:05 AM

Here are the results of my culture tests. All plates are labeled and dated. The only thing that has changed is slightly more growth and the B+ clone plate has been isolated out to two other plates due to that spot of contamination. The APE appears healthy, the GT is good, but that Alc has been a dissappointment. I had a really dark syringe to start with and I do not think I am seeing anything significant on the plate. Out of three Alc WBS jars I have lost two to contamination (different syringe). I have one left that looks like it might make it. I will try and plate some of that when I remove the spawn. I did not post a pic of the Alc due to the image data size limits.

DSC00504.JPG DSC00505.JPG

DSC00506.JPG DSC00508.JPG

Edited by Jinroh, 02 October 2019 - 09:10 AM.

#11 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:47 PM

So I may be losing what little there is left of my mind but I noticed something that might just be my imagination or something I am unaware of. And no... I have been completely sober for nearly a month... no shrooms... nothing.

I have my next set of grain jars sitting on top of my fireplace. Before you say that I am going to cook them or dry them out, the fireplace is a very well insulated and sealed propane-fired model and that area never gets over 75F. It is the warmest place in my house. (I like it chilly) Since I can see them from where I sit all day, there seems to be a "breathing" type of action going on. By that, I mean that after I shook the jars and I have watched them colonize over the past week, the Mycelium seems to surge and get really nice and white everywhere it occupies the jar, then it dies down and loses color slightly. I have noticed this at least three times over the past week. The jars are now at 90% and it still is happening. The Myc never seems to lose any ground, it just changes from snow white to gray over a period of 12 hours or so and then back again. Am I going crazy or is this a thing that actually happens normally and I never noticed it because I was never around to see it over that amount of time?

Every time I see it turn gray I am thinking "oh no... I am loosing another one. LOL

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!