75 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

I first heard about Sober October from Joe Rogan.  I was thinking about it as the days led up...And so here I go.  Who's with me?

https://video.search...29&action=click

Edited by riseabovethought, 01 October 2019 - 12:42 PM.

• Soliver and Juthro like this

#2 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

It would likely be a great idea

I can't even lie to myself about this one     :meditate:

Was about to take a hoot between types

• riseabovethought and Juthro like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

LOL, I'm with the rooster on this one, I was drinking coffee, and taking a couple of pulls on my pipe while I was looking up info on what sober october is all about.

In reality I should, I drink too much, and its not good for me, but I unfortunately my mama didn't raise no quitters ;)

(It's really nice to see you poking your head in Rise)

• crazy1, riseabovethought and flashingrooster like this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

LOL, I'm with the rooster on this one, I was drinking coffee, and taking a couple of pulls on my pipe while I was looking up info on what sober october is all about.

In reality I should, I drink too much, and its not good for me, but I unfortunately my mama didn't raise no quitters ;)

I would think that heavy drinking is necessary to survive the winter months in your local, Juthro!

• Juthro likes this

#5 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

I am with you in spirit Rise, even If I falter to participate

Granted even my once a week drinking night could still be considered bad for my health, I can see how hard it is on one's body to drink all the time. 

Mary Jane has saved me from a serious alcohol problem... It has always been my drug of choice for casual relaxation

A few years back I got caught at my job for a drug test, failed on weed and had to abstain for a year.....  Switched to nightly drinking during the week to try to cope. For so long I had basically passed out on the couch from weed, woke up after fifteen minutes and got in bed proper for the evening. I was getting anxiety about sleep, my normal instant sleep pattern was off and it could take an hour or so to fall asleep if I was lucky. So a couple of drinks before bed was a temporary solution. This quickly devolved into getting drunk by myself three or four nights a week. The hangover was the only thing holding me back from five. I soon realized that my sleep was actually made worse by this. The constant wake up at two or three am ,thirsty, sweating and feeling like shit. Toss and turn and turn and finally fall asleep properly just in time for the alarm to go off. My memory started to noticeably get worse, as well as just my mental capacity. I would liken it to cement in my head preventing thoughts from bubbling up. I would later on in life find out I have sleep Apia so this must have compounded the issues as it worsens when one drinks. This condition is associated with memory loss and poor sleep

Don't get me wrong, mary jane certainly has its long term effects as well. There is a groggy feeling and loss of short term memory loss. The amount of times I have walked into a room and forgot why I was there!!  I suppose I just decided I was much more functional on weed. So three months into the abstinence I cracked and went back to my other girlfriend.

And three month's later I got the call for a random drug test. Luckily for me I have a great boss! He was able to put off the test for two weeks while my system would clean up. That was a scary test let me tell ya! 

Edited by flashingrooster, 01 October 2019 - 01:30 PM.

• crazy1 and Juthro like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

I would think that heavy drinking is necessary to survive the winter months in your local, Juthro!

LOL, true that!   Staying frisky, North of 60* :)

I try to limit out the heavy part of it, but it's an easy trap to fall into during the long cold winter, that's a fact.

You've got my support, Rise (always), even if you wont get my participation this go round.

• crazy1 likes this

#7 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:21 PM

Heavy alcohol use is inviting early dementia. A case in point: my wife's ex is now in a home for those suffering from dementia - he is my age ( I am 64). Scary. I don't drink. Cannabis is way safer.

• Squeetaleta likes this

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

I am always sober unless I am trippin. Just another month for me.

• PJammer24, MsBehavin420 and Squeetaleta like this

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

Heavy alcohol use is inviting early dementia. A case in point: my wife's ex is now in a home for those suffering from dementia - he is my age ( I am 64). Scary. I don't drink. Cannabis is way safer.

Sourdoughs only drink heavily when its cold... They have too much work to do the rest of the year!

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,913 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, well some sourdoughs' summer work is snapping a camera shutter. 

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

Well damn, between 9/15 and 10/15 was the 4-week stretch I'd set aside this year to spend drunk. 

Unfortunately I'm not sticking with it as I don't have any alcohol in the house at the moment, lol. But that's only because I drank it all a few days ago (and "all" wasn't much so I was really more "fuzzy" than "drunk").

As alcohol continues to fall out of fashion around the world (Russia's consumption has dropped by 43% in past decade, which is amazing), it's going to be interesting to see how governments are going to make up for the drop in "sin tax" revenue they're probably addicted to. Granted, much of that will be made up with taxes on legal Cannabis, but there will still be major budget shortfalls as a result.

• crazy1 and Squeetaleta like this

#12 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 444 posts

Donator

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

sober

adjective

so·​ber | \ ˈsō-bər
\
soberer\ ˈsō-​bər-​ər

\; soberest\ ˈsō-​b(ə-​)rəst

\
Definition of sober

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a : sparing in the use of food and drink : abstemious
b : not addicted to intoxicating drink
c : not drunk
2 : marked by sedate or gravely or earnestly thoughtful character or demeanor
4 : marked by temperance, moderation, or seriousness a sober candlelight vigil
5 : subdued in tone or color
6 : showing no excessive or extreme qualities of fancy, emotion, or prejudice

sober

verb
sobered; sobering\ ˈsō-​b(ə-​)riŋ
\

Definition of sober (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb

: to make sober

intransitive verb

: to become sober usually used with up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welp.....
I'm fucked without any chemical aid.

I'm drunk on life and existence, I'm surely not sedated, can't say I'm to thoughtful....just depends on who it is, I sure as fuck ain't calm within, I have no clue what the word "moderation" means.
I know I show signs of excessive and extreme qualities of fancy because......why the fuck not?
I am full of emotion.
I have no clue what being sober means.

Edited by Baphom3t, 02 October 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• TVCasualty, Soliver and Squeetaleta like this

#13 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

I'm with you. I kicked booze over a year ago, this october I am focusing on nicotine, caffiene, and cannabis. My goal is to quit smoking everything ( I can still eat the good stuff with a little effort in the kitchen). The first 48 hours have been challenging to say the least. I have been a pack a day smoker for 20 years. I have only had a couple drags in the last 2 days... Wish me luck... And good luck to all who join the movement...
  • crazy1 and Alder Logs like this

#14 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:05 AM

I dont even remember my last drink... Wait that's a lie. I think it was in june. But being it was only 1 does it actually even count?

Much like thrideye above, im a derty smoker. I plan on going to have acupuncture done for help quitting. Ive had enough of being tied to smoking

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,913 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

I have only had a couple drags in the last 2 days...

As a serial ciggy quitter, my advice is, say "fuck you" to the next drag.  That shit will not let go of you if its got its foot in the door.  It wants nicotine in your blood.  It's your blood, goddamnit!   Think of cigarettes butted out in your mashed potatoes, or dropped into your bottle of fruit juice.   That shit is nasty and shouldn't get a pass.   You can make it.  You are making it.  The addicted body will complain, but it's your body, not its!

Much love to you. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 03 October 2019 - 01:46 PM.

• Thirdeyeplants likes this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, well some sourdoughs' summer work is snapping a camera shutter. 

It was the only summer work I could get.  All of the jobs playing disk golf were taken :)

• Alder Logs likes this

#17 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:42 PM

I was about to go to bed before reading this post. 

Now I'm staring down a shot of sake, a tobacco / CBD bud spliff, and a teaspoon of kratom.  Probably some other shit .... gimme a minute to dig around ...

Oh.  Here it is. 

Joy!

Staying sober 1/12th of your annual existence is what people who can't handle the reality of their regular existence do to make themselves feel better.

Yes, I know that sounds bitter, but the truth often leaves that taste behind IME.

If "Soliver Octover" leads to long term happiness, then keep it up the rest of the year.

Otherwise Joe Rogan can take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut as far as I'm concerned.  He propagates rampant drug abuse the other

eleven months out of the year, regardless of how many hours a day he spends maintaining his animalistic appearance and supposed

adherence to non-violent violent practices.

(I love the Joe Rogan Podcast, BTW.)

Cheers!

:)

soliver

Edited by Soliver, 08 October 2019 - 09:43 PM.

• crazy1, Baphom3t and Juthro like this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:44 PM

I knew it !!!  Soliver's mother didn't raise no quitters :)

• onediadem, crazy1, Soliver and 1 other like this

#19 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:35 PM

Well, that was a real positive contribution to this thread...
  • Soliver likes this

#20 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 444 posts

Donator

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:48 AM

Well, that was a real positive contribution to this thread...

We're all about positivity.  :bat: :bat: :bat: :tongue: :biggrin:

Edited by Baphom3t, 09 October 2019 - 05:48 AM.

• onediadem, Juthro and MsBehavin420 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!