78 replies to this topic

#1 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,059 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

I enjoyed hearing this.  Seems like a lot of us are screaming the same thing, for years...

https://www.youtube....h?v=AY_S7n3jkkU

Edited by riseabovethought, 01 October 2019 - 03:24 PM.

• shitsplash, TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,656 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

(OUT OF LIKES)

• TVCasualty and riseabovethought like this

#3 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

Well, maybe she will actually make some more listen................we can only hope

Thanks Rise

Peace

• TVCasualty likes this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

71815471_779473209173813_883769593945286

• crazy1, MsBehavin420, Mushinist and 2 others like this

#5 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

It's certainly very shady that her parents are both in showbiz. And what ever happened to the 1000 Epstein names..?.. Side tracked by a twerp
  • onediadem likes this

#6 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

I believe in rhe the cause. I also believe that the us isnt as muxh of a problem country in comparison to India. China and Japan. TEPCO's plan is to dump 10 years of radioactive waste water into the ocean

The upside is Noone has died from the tritium that is planned to be dumped slowly into the ocean over a period of time.

Tritium has a half life of 12. 5 years.

https://www.fukushim...ific-ocean.html
  • onediadem likes this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

I tell ya, I am sick of politics, and as a parent, I am disturbed that her parents allowed her to do this. Although in today's "Everyone wants to be a star" climate, I am not surprised. There would be no way I would allow this. I cannot imagine how many death threats she has received. Using children to further a cause is ridiculous, no matter how important the message. Children should be allowed to be children. Life happens too fast for them anymore. Have any of you seen pedophiles are now demanding equal rights as a sexual orientation? I find I am more disgusted with the absolute lunacy brewing in our world today. I long for peace and harmony that will never be seen in our lifetime. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a star trek all inclusive world? Sigh.  I only hope the planet is not killed before that can happen. Until greed is not force that drives this nonsense, it will never happen. We do have choices tho. Live clean, recycle everything.

And for the earths sake, love your neighbor.

• crazy1, Coopdog, PJammer24 and 10 others like this

#8 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

Yes to all but that neighbor.... He can go suck an egg!
  • onediadem and Skywatcher like this

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:56 AM

I agree with ODD... She is not old/mature enough to make the decision to speak on an international stage like this. I feel like kids should be allowed to be kids and that having her become a rallying cry for saving the planet is not what I would consider being a kid. She is now internationally renowned. She is basically a climate change celebrity at an age where she should be playing with barbie dolls and beginner oyster mushroom kits :cool:... I would never have allowed my daughter to take that stage! If she, without being pushed, wanted to make a statement, she could have done it in a letter format... I am in support of the message but believe that it was the wrong messenger...

I am a proponent of staying in your lane and being the best person you can within your own little sphere of influence. If everyone did their best to be a good, responsible human, the world would be a great place and Earth would be healthy! Human nature is to push back when pushed... I really dont think attempting to shame people works and telling people they are living poorly certainly does not work... People need to be allowed to come to these conclusions on their own or they are not going to change.

My daughter, assuming I end up having one, will not be speaking on an international stage... She will be taught to be respectful to the Earth and other people... Hopefully she will be a good person and be a positive influence within her own sphere of influence... She certainly will not become one of the most recognizable 16 year olds in the world... Notoriety is not necessarily a good thing, whether famous or infamous... Sometimes I prefer anonymity...

I do not approve of the way this message was delivered at all, nor do I believe the message is 100% hers... No matter how important the message, I feel that she has been used by adults to make a point. One of the reasons we are still talking about this is because it was a child! Its a common marketing strategy to shock people into remembering something... Not cool in my opinion... Give the girl a barbie and a bicycle and let her be a kid....

Sorry for the rant... I just really dont approve of adults using children as a pawn to accomplish something, no matter the goal.... They knew using a kid would make this a talking point and they exploited that opportunity...

** I just finished reading ODD's post (I have a habit of not finishing posts before posting myself) and it seems we feel almost exactly the same about this... I respect your game ODD!!! :hug:

Edited by PJammer24, 03 October 2019 - 07:58 AM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Coopdog and 4 others like this

#10 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,352 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

"For the children"

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

"For the children"

Right... Is she not a child herself? I seem to remember reading that in the transcript and shaking my head... Or I may be confusing a letter my friends 9 year old daughter wrote for class that said, "what I was a kid..." Lol, so funny/cute how kids feel they are grown when in reality, they are still just babes...

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:18 AM

Greta is a butterfly flapping her wings in the Chaos Age. I hope she continues for as long as possible and that she pisses off her particularly rabid and vicious critics to the point they have a stroke and finally STFU.

She scares the shit out of a lot supposed grown-ups at both a conscious and unconscious level, evidenced by their unhinged attacks on everything about her except the actual substance of what she has to say.

She is for real, and not anyone's tool. Watch her give a speech; you can't make someone do that, or fool them into being that articulate and unflappable.

My only criticism of her is that she is way too soft-spoken and moderate regarding the issues of concern since the threats are in fact existential to everything we take for granted and are about to lose.

The wilderness tracking/survival instructor I took classes from started saying "we are a society that's killing our grandchildren in order to feed our children" in the 1960's. That would make Greta a member of his predicted doomed generation, and all indications are that he was right.

If you were 16 and knew you had a future of eco-hell to look forward to (if you're lucky), what would you do? Your fucking homework?

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 October 2019 - 10:19 AM.

• riseabovethought, Alder Logs and RainbowCatepillar like this

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

71815471_779473209173813_883769593945286

Point taken, lol.

We definitely took a wrong turn somewhere...

post-102948-0-09344700-1570116299.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• EvolutionTrash.jpg

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 October 2019 - 10:25 AM.

• onediadem, crazy1 and riseabovethought like this

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

It's certainly very shady that her parents are both in showbiz. And what ever happened to the 1000 Epstein names..?.. Side tracked by a twerp

In your estimation is Greta the "twerp?"

#15 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

Yep. twerp

n.
A person regarded as insignificant and contemptible.
n.
A fool, a twit.
n.
A small or puny person; one regarded as insignificant, contemptible (this one)

#16 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

Dont get me wrong i believe in the cause. But I also walk the beaches and clean up garbage. And use things till they cant be used anymore and then i fix it and use it some more.

I also don't feel that she isnt speaking to the usa on any of this bc we are going greener and produce less toxic shit into the environment than say china, who owns swine farming factories in the usa bc they cant evem raise pigs in china

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,656 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

I think Greta is old enough to know that the people driving the bus dont give a shit about her future. So I choose to commend her on her bravery, and for having the courage to be able to stand up and do what she did.  And no disrespect intended to you  Ms B., but if your comparing number of victims, Greta's cause touches an exponential larger number of victims then Epstein could have ever dreamed of touching. 

Greta is speaking for a generation, really she is speaking for all of us.  Our collective future has recognised our lack of action and should be encouraged to take action, and not be dismissed because some think they are 'too young to know what they are saying'.

With that said, do I think she has been handled and trained to give a show for the camera's, hell yes I do.  But how is that different from every other career politician in that building?

• crazy1, Alder Logs, MsBehavin420 and 1 other like this

#18 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

I think Greta is old enough to know that the people driving the bus dont give a shit about her future. So I choose to commend her on her bravery, and for having the courage to be able to stand up and do what she did.  And no disrespect intended to you  Ms B., but if your comparing number of victims, Greta's cause touches an exponential larger number of victims then Epstein could have ever dreamed of touching. 

Greta is speaking for a generation, really she is speaking for all of us.  Our collective future has recognised our lack of action and should be encouraged to take action, and not be dismissed because some think they are 'too young to know what they are saying'.

With that said, do I think she has been handled and trained to give a show for the camera's, hell yes I do.  But how is that different from every other career politician in that building?

I commend her ability to speak publicly, its not something that is easy to do... My issue is that I don't think she is old enough to understand the level of scrutiny that being in the spotlight brings... Celebrity is not easy to handle and that's exactly what she has become... The spot light will most likely remain on her into adulthood with people trying to use that celebrity to further individual causes... I feel similarly about child actors.. Being in the spot light fucks up children... There is no denying that...

The message is on point, I commend her for being able to do that, but that doesn't mean she should have been asked/permitted to...  Her life will never be the same. She is the subject of memes, ridicule, praise, etc.. etc.. Adults often don't handle that type of attention well whether positive or negative... A 16 year old is even less equipped.

Edited by PJammer24, 03 October 2019 - 02:37 PM.

• crazy1, Coopdog, Juthro and 2 others like this

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:07 PM

Yep. twerp

n.
A person regarded as insignificant and contemptible.
n.
A fool, a twit.
n.
A small or puny person; one regarded as insignificant, contemptible (this one)

Wow.

The media spin machine has really been working its magic against her, and I'm kind of surprised to see so many people buying it, especially here. And it kind of makes your avatar seem rather ironic, considering.

Anyway, here's a letter signed by a list of 224 professional scientists and academics from the UK who disagree (aka generally well-educated, intelligent, and rational adults):

We, the undersigned academics, stand in solidarity with the children going on school climate strike on 15 February, and with all those taking a stand for the future of the planet.

Nelson Mandela once said: “Our children are our greatest treasure. They are our future. Those who abuse them tear at the fabric of our society and weaken our nation.” Human planetary abuse is, in a very real sense, child neglect.

As many of us and other fellow academics have indicated previously in this newspaper (Letters, 27 October 2018), the scientific evidence of climate change is clear. For example, the summer of 2018 has been confirmed by the Met Office as the hottest on record for England. The heatwave adversely affected crops across Europe, with wheat and potato harvests reduced by one quarter, which in turn impacted upon food prices. Australia is similarly experiencing “hottest on record” weather events. As citizens across the globe will know and testify, many comparably disturbing examples could be given. We cannot nurture our children without Nature

We are rapidly losing sea ice in the Arctic. The warming of the ocean, the melting of land ice and the ensuing rising sea levels will threaten coasts. In 2018, the European Drought Observatory noted a high deficit in soil moisture across Scotland, Ireland and much of northern Europe. This increases the risk of wildfires, such as those we saw across England in 2018. As well as posing a direct threat to life, fires produce toxic smoke, which is a significant health risk to young and old alike. Sir David Attenborough has warned: “If we don’t take action, the collapse of our civilisations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon.” Many other organisations, like Extinction Rebellion, are now working to bring the truth about the ecological crisis to the public’s attention.

It is with these tragic and desperate events in mind that we offer our full support to the students – some of whom may well aspire to be the academics of the future – who bravely plan to strike on 15 February to demand that the UK government takes climate action. They have every right to be angry about the future that we shall bequeath to them, if proportionate and urgent action is not taken. We are inspired that our children, spurred on by the noble actions of Greta Thunberg and many other striking students all around the world, are making their voices heard.

Alison Green, PhD (Psychology), National Director (UK) ScientistsWarning.org
Sir Tim Smit Co-Founder, Eden Project & Exec Chair Eden Project International
Professor Kevin Anderson, Joint chair of Energy and Climate Change at Manchester and Uppsala Universities
Professor Tony Watts OBE
Molly Scott Cato MEP, Professor of Green Economics, University of Roehampton
Chris Rapley CBE, Professor of Climate Science, UCL
Professor T. R. Birkhead, FRS Department of Animal & Plant Sciences,
University of Sheffield
Professor Joy Carter Vice-Chancellor, University of Winchester
Professor Danny Dorling, School of Geography and the Environment, University of Oxford (UK)
Professor Diane Reay, University of Cambridge
Professor Guy Claxton, King’s College London
Professor Rosalind Gill, UK
Professor Jem Bendell, PhD, University of Cumbria
Professor Marilyn Strathern, DBE Cambridge University
Dr Anne Alexander, University of Cambridge
Dr Miklós Antal, Research Fellow, University of Leeds
Francisco Ascui (PhD, MBA, MSc), Centre for Business and Climate Change, University of Edinburgh
Dr Hugues Azérad, Fellow and College Lecturer,Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages, University of Cambridge
Dr Keith Baker, co-founder, Energy Poverty Research initiative, Scotland
Stephen J. Ball, distinguished service Professor of Sociology of Education, University College London
Dr Meg-John Barker, Psychology in Social Sciences, The Open University
Rocio Perez Barrales, School of Biological Sciences, University of Portsmouth
Emeritus Professor Michael Bassey
Professor Margaret Bates
, University of Northampton
Manu Bazzano, Lecturer, University of Roehampton
Professor David Beerling, Dept. Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield
Peter Belton, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry, University of East Anglia
Dr Teresa Belton visiting fellow, School of Education and Lifelong Learning, University of East Anglia
Dr Nicholas Beuret, University of Essex
Dr Simon Boxley, Centre for Climate Change Education & Communication, University of Winchester
Dr Gail Bradbrook, co-founder of Extinction Rebellion
Beth Breeze, Director, Centre for Philanthropy, University of Kent
Delny Britton Ph.D. (env. Sci.), Stroud, Gloucestershire
Dr Onel Brooks, Senior Lecturer in Psychotherapy, Counselling and Counselling Psychology
Annemarieke de Bruin, Researcher, Stockholm Environment Institute, Department of Environment and Geography, University of York
Erik Buitenhuis Ph.D., Ocean Biogeochemist
Dr Catherine Burke, Reader in History of Education and Childhood, University of Cambridge
Professor Erica Burman, Manchester Institute of Education, University of Manchester
Dr Jonathan Busch, Research & Teaching Fellow, Sustainability Research Institute, University of Leeds
Dr Rose Capdevila, School of Psychology, The Open University
Dr Stuart Capstick, Research Fellow, Cardiff University
Professor Andrew Challinor, Faculty of Environment, University of Leeds
Professor Alec Charles, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, UoW
Paul Chatterton, Professor of Urban Futures,School of Geography, University of Leeds
Christopher Clarke, Emeritus Professor of Applied Mathematics, University of Southampton
Isabel Clarke, consultant Clinical Psychologist, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
Professor Linda Clarke, Centre for the Study of the Production of the Built Environment (ProBE), Westminster Business School, University of Westminster
Richard Clarke, Visiting Scholar, University of Westminster
Dr Christopher D. Coath, University of Bristol
Frank Coffield, Emeritus Professor of Education, UCL Institute of Education, London University
Dr Philip Connell, University of Cambridge
Andrew Cooper, Professor of Social Work, Tavistock Centre and UEL
Dr Mick Cooper, Counselling Psychologist
Dr Alice Courvoisier, Ph.D.(Mathematics), lecturer, York University
Nick Cowern, Emeritus Professor, Newcastle University
Ed Craig, Executive Director Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation, University of Edinburgh
Gareth Dale, Politics/History, Brunel University
Professor Colin Davis University of Bristol
Dr Lucy Delap, Reader in Modern British and Gender History, Murray Edwards College, Cambridge
Dr Peter Dwyer, UCU Branch Executive, Ruskin College, Oxford
Dr Alison Dyke, Stockholm Environment Institute, Department of Environment and Geography, University of York
Richard Eke Ph.D., Associate Lecturer in Education
Professor Barbara Evans CEng MCIWEM, Co-Director, Centre for Global Development, University of Leeds
Dr Nick Evans, Junior Research Fellow, Clare College, University of Cambridge
Dr Keri Facer, Professor of Educational and Social Futures, University of Bristol
Dr Andrew L. Fanning, Marie Curie Research Fellow, Sustainability Research Institute, University of Leeds
Suman Fernando, Honorary Professor in the Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities, London Metropolitan University; retired Consultant Psychiatrist
Michael Fielding Emeritus Professor of Education, UCL Institute of Education, London
Dr Keith Flett, London Socialist Historians Group, University of London
Alistair Ford, Research Associate (Cities and Climate Change), Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
Dr Katy Fox-Hodess, University of Sheffield
Professor Lynn Froggett FAcSS
Dr Christophe Gagne, Senior Language Teaching Officer in French, MML, University of Cambridge
Charlie J. Gardner, PhD Lecturer, Conservation Biology
Dr Simon Gibbs university Reader in Educational Psychology
Ian Gibson Professor and former MP and chair, Select Committee on Science and Technology
Simona Giordano, University of Manchester
Dr Sara González, Associate Professor, School of Geography, University of Leeds
Harvey Goldstein, Professor of Social Statistics, University of Bristol
Professor Dave Goulson FRES,, School of Life Sciences, University of Sussex
Dr Dina Glouberman Skyros Institute
Dr Mia Gray, Dept of Geography, University of Cambridge
Sarah Greenfield Clark, MSc (Sustainability), Partnerships Co-ordinator for Extinction
Rebellion
Stephen Hall, University Academic Fellow, Sustainable Cities
Dr Catherine Happer, Lecturer in Sociology
Lukas Hardt, Postgraduate Research Student, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds
Prof. Julie Harris, School of Psychology and Neuroscience, University of St. Andrews
Rachael Harris PhD, University of Cambridge
Stephan Harrison, Climate Scientist, Exeter University UK
Dr Stephen Harwood, University of Edinburgh Business School
Dr Karsten Haustein, Postdoctoral Researcher, Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford
Peter Hawkins Ph.D. Professor of Leadership Henley Business School, University of Reading
Dr Clare Heaviside, NERC Independent Research Fellow, University of Oxford
Dr Jason Hickel, Goldsmiths, University of London
Chris Hines MBE, Hon.D.Sc
Dr Stuart Hodkinson
, Associate Professor, School of Geography, University of Leeds
Dr Dan Hodson, Research Scientist, Department of Meteorology, University of Reading, UK
Paul Hoggett, Emeritus Professor of Social Policy, UWE
Owen Holland, Department of English, UCL
Dr Wendy Hollway, Emeritus Professor of Psychology, Open University
Dr Reza Hossain, MBBS, MRCGP, DCH, DRCOG, DFFP, General Practitioner & Population Matters
Richard House, PhD (Env sci) Chartered psychologist, Stroud
Michael Hrebeniak, Wolfson College, University of Cambridge
David Humphreys, Professor of Environmental Policy, Open University
Peter Humphreys Chair, Centre for Personalised Education, visiting lecturer, School of Education, Birmingham City University
Dr Victoria Hurth Faculty of Business, University of Plymouth
Professor Lisa Isherwood, FRSA, Director of the Institute for Theological Partnerships, Professor of Feminist Liberation Theologies, University of Winchester
Chris Jarrold, Professor of Cognitive Development, School of Psychological Science, University of Bristol
Simon Jobson, Professor of Sport & Exercise Physiology, University of Winchester
Professor Aled Jones, PhD MA BA FHEA HonFIA Director of Global Sustainability Institute, Anglia Ruskin University
Steven Jones, PhD (Education), Senior Lecturer, University of Manchester
Professor Stephen Joseph, University of Nottingham
Remi Joseph-Salisbury, Presidential Fellow in Ethnicity and Inequalities, The University of Manchester
Dr Alexandre Kabla, Reader, Engineering Department, University of Cambridge
Dr. J. Kasmire, University of Manchester
Philomena Keane, Educational Psychologist, Keane Minds
Dr Ben Kenward, Senior Lecturer in Psychology, Oxford Brookes University
Dr Eleanor Kirk, Research Associate, University of Glasgow
Professor Peter Kornicki FBA, University of Cambridge
Dr Tonya Lander, Department of Plant Sciences, University of Oxford
Mary Laven, Professor of Early Modern History, University of Cambridge
Jane Liddell-King, Cambridge
Peter Lipman, Fellow, Cabot Institute, University of Bristol
Del Loewenthal, Emeritus Professor of Psychotherapy and Counselling, University of Roehampton
Gerhard Lohmann-Bond, Chair/Coordinator East Midlands Green Party
Ed Lord RMN, Ph.D. fellow, Swansea University
Rachel Lunnon Ph.D. (mathematical logic), computer programmer, Bristol
Robert Macfarlane, Reader at Cambridge University
Professor Neil Marriott Deputy Vice Chancellor
Professor Pru Marriott, Dean of Business, Law and Sport, Director of the Winchester Business School
Andrew Marsham, DPhil, Middle Eastern Studies, Cambridge
Dr John Marsham, PhD (Meteorology)
John Mateer, Senior Lecturer in Film and Television Production, Department of Theatre, Film and Television, University of York
Giulio Mattioli, (PhD) Visiting Research Fellow, Sustainability Research Institute, School of Earth & Environment, University of Leeds
Dr Emma Mawdsley, Geography Department, Cambridge University
Dr Debbie Maxwell Lecturer in Interactive Media, Department of Theatre, Film and Television, University of York
Susannah Mayhew, Professor of Health Policy, Systems and Reproductive Health
Marjorie Mayo, Emeritus Professor, Goldsmiths, University of London.
Dr Duncan McCollin, Senior Lecturer in Ecology, University of Northampton
Bill McGuire, Professor Emeritus of Geophysical & Climate Hazards, University College London
Ciarán McInerney, PhD., Research Fellow, University of Leeds
Professor Alastair McIntosh University of Glasgow & Centre for Human Ecology
James Mckay, project leader: ‘The Art of a Sustainable Future’, University of Leeds
Dr Jean McKendree, Stockholm Environment Institute, University of York
Laura McMahon, University of Cambridge
Dr Kate McMillan Department of Culture, Media & Creative Industries, King’s College London
Dr Alessandra Mezzadri Senior Lecturer in Development Studies, Department of Development Studies, SOAS, London
Dr Lucie Middlemiss, Sustainability Research Institute, University of Leeds
Professor Martin Milton, Regents University London
Dr Iris Möller,
Lecturer in Coastal Processes, Cambridge Coastal Research Unit (CCRU) / Biogeography & Biogeomorphology Research Group, University of Cambridge
Dr Gerry Mooney, Open University in Scotland
Professor Sian Moore Director, Work and Employment Research Unit (WERU) and Public Services International Research Unit (PSIRU), Greenwich Business School, London
Emeritus Professor Peter Moss, UCL Institute of Education
Richard Murphy, Professor of Practice in International Political Economy, City, University of London
Dr David Nally, Department of Geography, University of Cambridge
Calum Neill, Associate Professor of Psychoanalysis & Cultural Theory, Edinburgh Napier University
Peter Newell, Professor of International Relations, Department of International Relations, School of Global Studies, University of Sussex
Dr Robbie Nicol, Senior Lecturer in Outdoor Environmental Education, University of Edinburgh
Dany Nobus, Professor of Psychoanalytic Psychology, Brunel University London
Eva Novotny, PhD
Jeff Ollerton
, Professor of Biodiversity, University of Northampton
Dr Susie Orbach, The Balint Consultancy
Professor Jayne Osgood, Middlesex University, mother, feminist, activist
Stephanie Palmer, Faculty of Law, University of Cambridge
Douglas Parker, Professor of Meteorology, University of Leeds
Ian Parker, Emeritus Professor of Management, University of Leicester
Carole Parkes, Professor of Sustainable Business, University of Winchester
Christine Parkinson Ph.D. (Behavioural Science), retired biologist and author (climate change), Birmingham
Dr Volker Patent, CPsychol, Open University
Dr Ian Patterson, Life Fellow, Queens’ College, Cambridge
David Peters Professor Emeritus, Westminster Centre for Resilience, College of Liberal Arts and Science, University of Westminster
Dr Mary Phillips reader in organisation studies, University of Bristol
Professor Ann Phoenix
Professor Jenny Pickerill,
University of Sheffield
Adela Pickles, Communications Director for Rainforest Trust UK
Professor Jonatan Pinkse, University of Manchester
Professor Wouter Poortinga, Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University
Dr Gillian Proctor, Programme Leader in MA Psychotherapy and Counselling, University of Leeds
Professor Sarah A. Radcliffe, Department of Geography, University of Cambridge
Joe Ravetz, Co-Director, CURE, University of Manchester
Dr Rupert Read, Reader in Philosophy, University of East Anglia, UK
Dr Peter Reason, Emeritus Professor, University of Bath
Dr Helen Richardson, Professor of Gender and Organisation, Sheffield Business School, Sheffield Hallam University
Annette Rimmer, University of Manchester
Rosemary Rizq, Professor of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, University of Roehampton, London
Pip Roddis, School of Geography, University of Leeds
Paul Routledge, Professor of Contentious Politics and Social Change, School of Geography, University of Leeds
Andrew Samuels, Professor of Analytical Psychology, University of Essex; Former Chair, UK Council for Psychotherapy
Kate Sapin, Manchester Institute of Education, The University of Manchester
Simon Schaffer, Professor of History of Science, University of Cambridge
Dr Jason Scott-Warren, Faculty of English, University of Cambridge
Lynne Segal, Anniversary Professor of Psychosocial Studies, Birkbeck, University of London
Professor Farzana Shain, Keele University
Dr Jo Shuttleworth, Lecturer in Counselling Psychology, University of Manchester
Prem Sikka, Professor of Accounting and Finance, University of Sheffield
Andrew Simms, Research Associate, University of Sussex & Coordinator, the Rapid Transition Alliance
David Sims, Emeritus Professor of Organisational Behaviour, City, University of London
Helen Spandler, Professor of Mental Health Studies, University of Central Lancashire
Nick Srnicek, Lecturer in Digital Economy, Department of Digital Humanities, King’s College London
Lauren Stabler, PhD (Sustainability) Researcher at Global Sustainability Institute
Dr Guy Standing, FAcSS Professorial Research Associate, SOAS University of London
Professor Julia K. Steinberger, University of Leeds
Arran Stibbe, Professor of Ecological Linguistics, University of Gloucestershire
Peter Strachan, Professor of Energy Policy, The Robert Gordon University
Simon Szreter, Professor of History and Public Policy, University of Cambridge, and a fellow of St John’s College, Cambridge
Harriet Thew, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds
Brian Thorne, Emeritus Professor of Counselling, University of East Anglia
Professor Fred Toates, UK
Steve Tombs, Prof of Criminology, The Open University
Dr Corrado Topi, Ecological Economist, Stockholm Environment Institute, Department of Environment and Geography, University of York
Martin Upchurch, Professor of International Employment Relations, Middlesex University Business School, Hendon
Simon van der Borgh, Senior Lecturer in film & television production & screenwriter, University of York
Andreas Vossler, Phd (Psychology)
Lianne Waterston, B.Ed, 2041 Climateforce Ambassador, Climate Reality Leader
Professor Andrew Watterson, Faculty of Health Sciences and Sport, University of Stirling
Dr David Whitebread retired senior member, Homerton College, Cambridge
Ian Willis, Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge
Dr Rebecca Willis, Independent Researcher
Dr Ruth Wood, Senior Lecturer in Environment and Climate Change, University of Manchester
Michael J Wright, Emeritus Professor in Cognitive Neuroscience, Brunel University, London
Mike Yule, Associate Lecturer, Department of Education, University of Chichester
Dr Andrew Zurcher, Faculty of English, University of Cambridge

https://www.theguard...has-our-support

American academics are more hesitant to sign on to stuff like this at the moment because they live under an insane and reactionary regime that attempts to silence factual dissent from the current Administration's myopic insanity.

A staff writer from The Atlantic's sympathetic take on her: https://www.theatlan...rranted/598492/

I also find it interesting that she's directly addressed all of the criticisms and BS conspiracy theories against her and put them to bed with actual facts but so many disingenuous mainstream media tools keep on repeating them as if she hadn't. She seems to have become a Rorschach Culture Blot as much as a climate activist, which is to say our reactions to her reveal more about us than they do anything relevant about her. Some have a vested interest in opposing her message, some are probably not ready to accept the implications of it, and some probably just don't actually know what it is she's actually saying and only listen to what the talking heads are saying about her.

The funny part is that she agrees with everyone who thinks she should just be a kid and go to school and enjoy childhood 'n' stuff. She'd much rather be doing that. The not-funny part is that she can't because she can see her probable future more clearly than her elders.

• Juthro, MsBehavin420 and RainbowCatepillar like this

#20 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

I don’t underestimate the capabilities and determination of a 16 year old. Reflecting back on my own experiences at the age of 16, I was outspoken and would not and could not be contained by my parents or anyone else. Following Timothy Leary’s advice long before I even heard of the guy, I dropped out and moved out at age 17 and did just fine. In the early 70s the youth were a huge part of the cultural change in the USA and I have thought for a long time now, where are the voices of ‘this’ generation? It seems like it has been way too quiet since the 70s. Youth are not just ‘kids’ in my view, no these ‘people’ must speak out loudly, often and in numbers to be heard. Then and now too many ‘grownups’, or old coots as we use to say, discount what is said for various reasons: they are too young, someone put them up to it, they are just actors, they can’t handle the pressure, they must be on drugs, didn’t their parent teach them better, and so forth. I may be an old coot now, but I still believe in the power and spirt of our youth who seek changes for the better. What I won’t be is one of the old farts that belittled or doubted my youth or say that we were too young to know anything or to young to deal with the consequences of speaking out. I know better. I accept them for who they are and will listen to and contemplate their ideas, love and anger. It is their turn next to pilot this space rock, I wish them well.

Edited by Thacan, 03 October 2019 - 04:47 PM.

• TVCasualty, Coopdog, Juthro and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!