#21 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

Greta is as good a litmus test as is the word Trump

Say either word and 40 percent of the people in the room will react one way, and 40 percent will react the opposite way.

To my eye the other 20 percent should be the people running the world

• Coopdog, MsBehavin420 and Oneyedraven like this

#22 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

If the 20% are those who respond with fact-based science and aren't trying to kill (or mock, or slander, or libel) the messenger then I'd agree.

That's the only thing that really matters here (the facts). Well, that and what we collectively as a species intend to do about what the facts are telling us while we still can, though it may well be that this ship has already sailed and we're currently just enjoying the last of the momentum of a once-stable climate as it continues to accelerate towards its critical Tipping Point and everything we do from here on out is just "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic."

The unfortunate part about existential Tipping Points is that we can only know we've crossed one in retrospect, as many of us will likely live long enough to see for ourselves.

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 October 2019 - 05:20 PM.

• onediadem, crazy1, Coopdog and 2 others like this

#23 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

I often wonder how many people are really in the middle. Sort of unconvinced of a specific viewpoint at this time. 

Everyone I know that is not to concerned with climate change. This had a zero percent effect. It was a comical event. Then on the inverse, the people who are very concerned, thought it was this incredible speech. 

We are locked into some heavy tribalism now. Surely it has always been there but it seems fairly prevalent these days

Its one side versus another. My guy versus your guy. So we just shrugg off obvious things in support of our side. like one would for a friend or family member

Freakishly, facts have almost become irrelevant. Especially when anyone can just pay for a study and manipulate it . A study fact checking another person's study does not pay very well.  It's pretty frightening for a guy who does place a lot of faith in the facts. But more to the point people don't make decisions in politics based on facts and information. It's about feelings and playing to our subconscious fears and desires

Edited by flashingrooster, 03 October 2019 - 06:45 PM.

• Coopdog, MsBehavin420 and Thacan like this

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,065 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:17 PM

I saw this posted by a rabid right winger who never seems to get anything outside his echo chamber in the 25 years I have observed his posts:

NX0Hgci.png

#25 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:24 AM

How much of the internet, with all of the AI algorithms and facts getting pushed to each tribe, is just one big mind fuck?
  • crazy1, Coopdog, Oneyedraven and 1 other like this

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

I saw this posted by a rabid right winger who never seems to get anything outside his echo chamber in the 25 years I have observed his posts:

I deleted the image of the attempted meme from the quote since something with production values that low need not be reproduced in any allusion to it.

Anyway, I find it interesting just how consistent reactionaries' attempts at wit or humor fail with such shoddy, face-palm inspiring embarrassment.

In the competitive world of harsh-yet-witty memecraft, little bit of effort and a commitment to higher production values go a long way, as do basic critical thinking skills...

religioniceberg.jpg

Edited by TVCasualty, 04 October 2019 - 04:24 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#27 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

How much of the internet, with all of the AI algorithms and facts getting pushed to each tribe, is just one big mind fuck?

It's one of those co-creative feedback loops. Or seems to be, anyway.

People made the 'Net to change how we interacted with other people, but then the 'Net went a lot further and changed the people. Then the changed people changed the 'Net. Then the changed 'Net changed the descendants of the originally-changed people who made the 'Net. A few more iterations of this kind of evolution and there will be no logical or comprehensible way to delineate and analyze history anymore.

Assuming we don't fail and collapse as a high-tech civilization first, I'd bet that in a mere few centuries from now understanding how exactly we got from where we are today to where they will be will end up lost in an ephemeral fog of data stored within a bewildering array of legacy formats of unreadable data (and even if they can get a 500-year old hard drive to spin up, the data will probably be scrambled beyond recovery by electromagnetic phenomena or entropy, and even if it's readable how will they parse the signals from the fake-news type noises without a nuanced understanding of just how batshit-crazy our current culture is?).

So the 'Net and society are mind-fucking each other, but only society feels it (and within society the kids seem to feel it the most). So being online is analogous to being in a dysfunctional relationship with pervy sex-bot, I guess.

It seems to me that Greta is a canary-in-the-coal-mine kind of phenomenon (among other things). She's certainly not the first person to do something like this. Lots of butterflies are always flapping their wings; another I can recall who spun up a tropical storm if not a hurricane was actually named "Butterfly," ironically.

Anyway, the next phase after the canaries and butterflies are silenced (assuming we fail to act during this one, and we'll almost certainly fail) will likely involve little to no talking and a lot more fire, sabotage, and the flipping-over of once-stable economic tables with extreme nothing-left-to-lose-so-who-gives-a-fuck-what-kind-of-mess-it-makes prejudice.

And we won't be able to claim that we weren't warned.

So if Greta and her friends get disenfranchised with regards to having any say in what kind of world they should expect to inherit then they can always borrow my lighter or any of my tools if they ever need 'em.

• onediadem, crazy1, Coopdog and 1 other like this

#28 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,874 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

Anyway, the next phase after the canaries and butterflies are silenced (assuming we fail to act during this one, and we'll almost certainly fail) will likely involve little to no talking and a lot more fire, sabotage, and the flipping-over of once-stable economic tables with extreme nothing-left-to-lose-so-who-gives-a-fuck-what-kind-of-mess-it-makes prejudice.

And we won't be able to claim that we weren't warned.

So if Greta and her friends get disenfranchised with regards to having any say in what kind of world they should expect to inherit then they can always borrow my lighter or any of my tools if they ever need 'em.

Is it time to provide another link to the PDF of the Army's, 'Improvised Munition Handbook' ?

#29 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

Nowhere have I said I disagree with the cause.
But thanks for automatically assuming that i do.

Ahem, Pjammer said it shes a celebrity now.
and she is

Much like her parents are also minor celebrities themselves....
so eat it.
shes just a tool. Tug the heart strings. Not a bad cause. But again im far more worried about countries like Japan. China. India.
um the Amazon is on fire, south Africa is out of water...
  • onediadem, crazy1 and Coopdog like this

#30 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:04 AM

Nowhere have I said I disagree with the cause.
But thanks for automatically assuming that i do.

Ahem, Pjammer said it shes a celebrity now.
and she is

Much like her parents are also minor celebrities themselves....
so eat it.
shes just a tool. Tug the heart strings. Not a bad cause. But again im far more worried about countries like Japan. China. India.
um the Amazon is on fire, south Africa is out of water...

As for me, I didn't assume such. I was commenting on the personal take on her.

The "tool" claim is one of those conspiracy theories that have no substance behind them. Opportunists will no doubt try to stick to her like assorted leeches and barnacles just like happens to anyone who finds themselves a global celebrity, but that's par for the course so so what? That's not on her, that's on our bottom-feeder culture of celebrity whorship [sic] that she's an accidental natural at using to advance her own agenda, which is to save what's left of her future ( a worthy agenda if there ever was one).

And the things you are far more worried about are the very issues she is so pissed off and raising hell about (the environmental ones, that is), so I don't understand the basis for the vitriol that's being directed at her personally.

Epstein is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. To use a lousy analogy he's like an evil spark plug; he makes an evil engine run but he's not one of the main parts and is very easily replaceable and almost certainly already has been.

Even the almost-certain bloodbath that Hong Kong will become before it's finally subjugated through brute force (which will also largely render it into a smoking ruin and put the world in a very awkward position) is way down the list of shit we need to fix yesterday if we want to continue having the luxury of being shocked by the news of bad stuff happening somewhere else involving people that aren't us for much longer. Mexico City is almost out of water. Southern California isn't far behind and tribal violence over access to water has already broken out in parts of Central Asia, too. And other places are currently under way too much of it. We all know this stuff, but the people with their hands on the big levers just keep on keeping on with business as usual so the time for politeness and diplomacy is at an end.

Coincidentally, it often seems that the same cast of characters is involved with things like the Epstein abomination as well as the raping and pillaging of the planet itself. And the CEO of Nestle was quoted awhile back saying that access to water is not a basic human right in his estimation, so the persons of interest to cleanse from polite society won't be hard to find since their hubris prevents them from keeping quiet about their sociopathy and depravity.

If we really want to get some shit done and kill a whole flock of really bad birds with one efficient stone then we should reset the scoreboard in a manner that still allows a global economy to function but disenfranchises no one from it (i.e. redistribute wealth to the degree that enables universal healthcare and housing), erase the debt record, scrap the concept of corporations for economic entities of manageable scale (none 'too big to fail') that mandate sustainability instead of growth, chop off as many heads as needed to break the continuity of evil (religion is going to have to go, too), plus some other stuff and you get the picture.

That'll never happen, so we're fucked, but it theoretically could so hope springs eternal unless you're a kid who has a brain uniquely wired to see through the spin-doctored bullshit people are slinging to deceive themselves as much as everyone else because some things are just too disturbing and frankly terrifying to realistically contemplate.

When someone forces us to look at those things more closely than we're comfortable with, we generally don't like those people. But that doesn't change the facts.

• onediadem, crazy1, Coopdog and 2 others like this

#31 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

of course she's been used as a tool

to say that she's not is as much conspiracy theory as saying she is

we don't know shit that isn't fed to us - without firsthand knowledge, otherwise we're just recirculating heresay

the odds that a non-photogenic, dyspeptic 16 year old could become the tip of the spear of a global , non-spontaneous, "groundswell" is astronomically unlikely.

she was selected, groomed, and turned out like a Subway sandwich

to my eye only wishful thinking could think otherwise

• crazy1 and Coopdog like this

#32 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:27 AM

No matter what I'm told by my intellectual superiors I rest easy

Oh look, another sunrise, another day filled with endless verbal handwringing (should I choose to listen to it? Or should I sit outside and sip some coffee while the birds sing hello to a new day?)

I know there will be a rebuttal but if I dont read it will it even exist in my world?

I'm off now. So many things to ignore...so much beauty to behold.

May you find exactly what you are looking for in this short existence, Amen!

Edited by GORF, 05 October 2019 - 09:27 AM.

• Myc, crazy1, Coopdog and 3 others like this

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

The "conspiracy" part is the notion that she was elevated to her current status intentionally by people acting behind the scenes. That is a patently-absurd notion.

That opportunists are hitching their wagons to her sudden fame and trying to use her as a tool probably happens to all famous people, but that's a whole different ballgame than claiming she's some kind of agent specifically created to advance someone else's agenda.

She looks a lot younger than she is, which I suspect is fueling some of the criticisms and opinions that her thoughts and words are not her own. But she's 16, and a 16-year old is only still a "child" in an arbitrary cultural sense, or if they've been raised in the U.S. (and I'm only half-joking about that). I know several people who were already living entirely on their own and fully supporting themselves by that age.

the odds that a non-photogenic, dyspeptic 16 year old could become the tip of the spear of a global , non-spontaneous, "groundswell" is astronomically unlikely.

Unlikely stuff happens more often all the time (mainly because there are so many unlikely events that can happen).

This is why I am enjoying the rise of the Chaos Age. A growing emergence of the unpredictable and unexpected is becoming the new normal. And we ain't seen nothin' yet. The Butterfly Effect is real, and greatly underestimated in terms of its role in what actually happens in the world.

Few if any people saw Trump's presidency coming, too (including Trump). So the Chaos Age works both ways, of course.

And speaking of Trump, why is it that women (or girls) with opinions are criticized as not being photogenic (a decidedly subjective standard) while butt-ugly men can spout outright lies and bullshit from a podium all day long without it being pointed out how not-photogenic they are? And FWIW, Ms. Thunberg has addressed this point, too.

she was selected, groomed, and turned out like a Subway sandwich

Based on what?

That's merely a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theory being directed at her that lacks any sources besides embarrassingly low-quality memes.

And taking someone's message and persona at face value is not a conspiracy theory in any sense of the phrase, and assuming otherwise is arguably where any wishful thinking is occurring.

• crazy1 and Alder Logs like this

#34 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,980 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

No matter what I'm told by my intellectual superiors I rest easy

Oh look, another sunrise, another day filled with endless verbal handwringing (should I choose to listen to it? Or should I sit outside and sip some coffee while the birds sing hello to a new day?)

I know there will be a rebuttal but if I dont read it will it even exist in my world?

I'm off now. So many things to ignore...so much beauty to behold.

May you find exactly what you are looking for in this short existence, Amen!

Enjoy those kinds of moments while they last.

They are certainly easier than trying to save what's left of the world-as-we-know-it, so I can definitely understand the appeal (especially among those who don't have nor want to have kids).

And please wish the rest of us luck in our probably doomed-to-fail efforts to shape civilization into something more equitable and sustainable before it implodes; you will benefit from those efforts too if we succeed, but that's obviously an extreme long-shot since way too many people still seem to assume that someone else is somehow going to fix everything for us, or that there's nothing going wrong that's about to get much worse at all.

To be honest, I'm getting pretty close to just saying "fuck it" and refocusing my life on self-gratification, too. Running whitewater taught me the inherent futility of fighting a strong current, so sometimes I wonder why I still even bother. I suppose it's because I haven't figured out how to burn the empathy out of my awareness yet (so there are some things that I cannot ignore no matter how much I may want to). That, and the fact that the Butterfly Effect is real so maybe there's still a chance to turn things around, however small.

• crazy1, Alder Logs and Juthro like this

#35 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,065 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

Well, they did say that Kucinich was funny looking.

As things appear, I seem to come back to, "what part of 'we're fucked' don't we understand?"  But, things are never completely as they appear.  Perhaps a butterfly-like creature in a planetary system in the Pleiades just flapped its wing-like structures and bumped the æthers, and we ain't seen nuthin' yet!    Maybe one in a million will be left here, but hey, what the fuck?  I just can't seem to help playing the part of a possibility monger.

Edited by Alder Logs, 05 October 2019 - 12:42 PM.

• crazy1 likes this

#36 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

There are still paper books and cash money, so we are safe

When it all goes digital THAT is when the giant solar flare will come to knock us back into the stone age.

Jeff Bezos will be stuck on Mars with his radio and wondering why he cant get Houston to answer.
  • crazy1, Coopdog and Juthro like this

#37 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,874 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

Jeff Bezos will be stuck on Mars with his radio and wondering why he cant get Houston to answer.

I guess it wont be all bad then :)

#38 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,763 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:16 PM

GORF you certainly had the best response of all to this thread. 

Speaking for myself, I support every single angry word she said. I don't necessarily believe they are all her words, although I suspect the core message to be. My spirit tends to shy away from any sort of manipulation, and that was my first response to this very pursuasive kid, that I was being intentionally manipulated by whoever was behind her rise to instant world wide fame. I feel very sorry for the roasting she is taking in the media, and it is everywhere. I see this as one more tool they found to instantly divide us, and they are wringing their hands and grinning from ear to ear to see the dissention spread like a wildfire. I think I'll leave it at that. It was hard to read this thread and see that division alive and well right here in the most peaceful and environmentally friendly place I know of.

Carry on....

#39 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

I try not to hate. I'm human and still get mad as hell at things and people, but I practice forgiveness as best as an old sinner can

Greta will have to live with herself and relive all she has said and done when she gets older and wiser. I hope she ages well and gracefully and comes to understand what life is about and what is truly important about it. It is kinda the most important reason we have been granted its favors and follies. Like the rest of us, she will calm down after living through 5 or 6 end of the world scenarios and seeing that while everything changes, life is still the same life it always was. The world is not what is important.

People are. And people never change by themselves. We change when we are together. Listening to each other. She isn't ready to hear all of it yet. She has only heard those who agree with her. Change happens when we HEAR, finally hear, and understand the people we dont agree with. Much of what she says is correct, but until she hears and understands those who dont agree, she will always think the wrong way about solutions to the problems we all see.

Edited by GORF, 05 October 2019 - 06:05 PM.

• crazy1, Coopdog and flashingrooster like this

#40 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:34 AM

As one with kids from 2 yrs old to 23, I see the way many think, or don't.

I do my best to raise my kids right and make them aware of the world we live in and it's amazing!!

Watching them learn, plant a garden, play in the creek or walk in the woods is what it's all about.

They see and appreciate the world they live in, for now.

I can't leave a better world for my children, but I can do my best to leave better children for the world.

And in doing so, I'm doing the best I can.

Peace

• onediadem, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!