• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:07 AM

If you just dry the perlite out again and rewet, your bleach smell will be gone. exposing it to direct sunlight will also make the bleach dissipate
  • IntrinsicShadowLands likes this

#42 IntrinsicShadowLands

IntrinsicShadowLands

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:04 PM

Although new to this all, I felt pretty uncomfortable with the possibility of the bleach odour getting into the mushrooms that I would soon be ingesting, so I decided to follow advice and swapped out the perlite with a load straight from the bag, this time rinsed with plain water.

How long should I expect to wait to start to see humidity levels rise and condensation appear on the walls of the tub?

It feels like I am looking after a newborn baby! Often find myself popping into the room where they are stored to make sure everything is okay :)
  • MsBehavin420 likes this

#43 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

The humidity levels will rise quickly (10 to 20 minutes to 90%) when you close the fruiting chamber. The only way that you will see condensation on the walls is when the temperature outside of the chamber is less than the dew point inside the chamber. For example, if you fruiting chamber is at 75F and 90% humidity inside, then the wall temperature inside of the chamber would need to be less than the dew point of 71.9F to see condensation. And yeah fruiting is fun to watch. Take care and have fun.

Edited by Thacan, 11 October 2019 - 07:22 AM.

#44 IntrinsicShadowLands

IntrinsicShadowLands

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

The humidity levels will rise quickly (10 to 20 minutes to 90%) when you close the fruiting chamber. The only way that you will see condensation on the walls is when the temperature outside of the chamber is less than the dew point inside the chamber. For example, if you fruiting chamber is at 75F and 90% humidity inside, then the wall temperature inside of the chamber would need to be less than the dew point of 71.9F to see condensation. And yeah fruiting is fun to watch. Take care and have fun.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation :)
  • MsBehavin420 likes this

#45 IntrinsicShadowLands

IntrinsicShadowLands

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

I have 3 jars that look a bit iffy, and was wondering whether somebody with a trained eye could identify whether there are any contamination issues going on?

A couple of weeks ago I shook several of the jars that were slow in mycelium growth. Is this a big no-no with the PF-Tek?

Attached Thumbnails

• Contam 1.jpeg
  • Contam 2.jpeg
  • Contam 3.jpeg

#46 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

Jar 3 is questionable.
2 looks good

And 1. What's on the bottom of the jar.?

#47 IntrinsicShadowLands

IntrinsicShadowLands

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

Jar 3 is questionable.
2 looks good
And 1. What's on the bottom of the jar.?

Thanks for getting back to me. I have no idea what is on the bottom of the jar! I am presuming you mean the little darked out triangle underneath the brownish colour?

Is the yellow/brown tinge in the second jar nothing to worry about then? I presumed it was unwanted bacteria of some sorts.

Edited by IntrinsicShadowLands, 14 October 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#48 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:47 PM

The yellow happens sometimes.. I say let them all finish up and then look for inconsistencies.

And yes i was meaning that brown triangle lookin thing. Wait it out. See if it all becomes Consistent white.

#49 IntrinsicShadowLands

IntrinsicShadowLands

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

I don't want to start a new thread with my on-going questions, though I hope users will still check in with this thread.

I have attached a picture of 3 of the cakes that are already in the FC. From left to right, they have been in there for ~ 6, 4 and 2 days. I am wondering if this is how things should be looking at this stage or whether growth is somewhat on the slow side?

I have been misting/fanning about 4 times a day. There are 7 small holes on the 2 longer siders of the box, although none underneath. The cakes are placed in my conservatory, although get no direct sunlight.

Is there anything else that I could or should be doing?

Attached Thumbnails

• Fruiting Chamber 1.jpeg

#50 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:13 PM

Try not to mist the cakes. But it looks good

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!