4 replies to this topic

#1 lysis

lysis

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

Hello everyone,

Lysis here. I work in biotech as a mechanical engineer in Oyster Point. I've been interested in the benefits of all types of mushrooms for some time now, and have recently taken more of an interest toward growing them at home. I've been researching and exploring various sterilization techniques, and will certainly have more questions as time passes.

For now, one of my main questions is: does anyone have any good resources for buying substrates on the Peninsula, between say San Francisco and Redwood City? 

Specifically, I'm trying to find the best places to get good quality hardwood sawdust and coconut coir.

If not, alternatives such as economical sources that I can have shipped would work.

Thanks!

• wharfrat and RutgerHauer like this

#2 TrippTripTrippyJ

TrippTripTrippyJ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

Hey there. 

I am also new to growing my own mushrooms, for all of their benefits - even though I detest the flavor and texture of them. lol. Keep surfing the many forums and archives on this site, as there are a multitude of pictures and grow info here. Personally speaking, because I am a noob to mush - I wanted to avoid as many abilities to contaminate my first grow, so I opted to order as much prepared items as possible while I acquire the tools necessary to do all this myself. I searched for mushroom grow kits, then figured out what I already have, what I need to buy. Oakland has a store for mushroom growing enthusiasts. I have not gone there yet. They seemed limited in what they have to offer online. There are a few places in Sac that offer spore syringes and substrates pre-injected. Hi-mountain compost has some things to offer online. Look for good reviews or testimonies. I think the key is to get sterilized, sealed, pasteurized wherever you can in the beginning stages like prepoured agar dishes, substrate bags or jars. Watch videos related to what you want to do at home, what different methods and decide which direction you want to start. Good Luck! 

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

Welcome!

I have no tips on where to get these items specifically, but for sawdust you could look into hardwood fuel pellets - it's relatively cheap and easy to use - there are several recipes to use those as a substrate and commercial mushroom growers like to use fuel pellets too.

As for coco coir, they are made in bricks and you can get them at any kind of grow shop - they should also be able to supply you - if you need it - with vermiculite, perlite and gypsum. I found a cheap source for coco bricks on a website that also sells palm trees, they grow those in palm coir as well - but seeing I order my stuff online I would rather kill two birds with one stone and get several supplies at one source that can supply that other stuff I need as well.

If you are looking into edible species like oysters and you want to supplement your sawdust substrate and need wheat bran - I would suggest looking for shops where you would get animal feed - they sell it as a supplement for horses, would be pretty cheap to get a big bag of it.

What species are you interested in growing?

Edited by RutgerHauer, 28 January 2020 - 03:46 PM.

• Moonless likes this

#4 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:02 PM

Welcome to topia. Glad yall have joined in on the party.

I have had luck with sourcing hardwood chips from the local tree chopping service. Whenever they're nearby I go on over and ask if I can fill a bins of the stuff. They've always been helpful! Another option is to see if anyone has chip drop in your area and to collect wood chips from their chip drop.

As for coir those bricks of 650g of coir are great and enough for a large tub. I like to go with compressed coir just to maintain that pest like roaches don't get inside (its happened before).

Edited by Moonless, 28 January 2020 - 04:02 PM.

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,706 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

Hello everyone,

Lysis here. I work in biotech as a mechanical engineer in Oyster Point. I've been interested in the benefits of all types of mushrooms for some time now, and have recently taken more of an interest toward growing them at home. I've been researching and exploring various sterilization techniques, and will certainly have more questions as time passes.

For now, one of my main questions is: does anyone have any good resources for buying substrates on the Peninsula, between say San Francisco and Redwood City? 

Specifically, I'm trying to find the best places to get good quality hardwood sawdust and coconut coir.

If not, alternatives such as economical sources that I can have shipped would work.

Thanks!

welcome to topia  :biggrin:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!