• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 943 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

OK! Try number three on locating a ferrous needle!

I am pretty sure I got it this time but I am waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.

There are needles used in the meat handling industry called HDN (Highly Detectable Needle). They are used when the animals are raised for meat. The needles are detectable by metal detectors in case a needle breaks off inside of an animal the plant can be shut down to get out the metal before going to market.
They are expensive but super heavy duty. They are available as singles for around 0.65 or 38.00 bucks for 100. I can't imagine wearing one out using it for mycology, these things look tough! Here is a link to one of the sites that sells them for anyone interested.

https://www.qcsupply...eedle-16-1.html

Edited by Jinroh, 31 October 2019 - 05:04 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#42 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 943 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

I heard back from the needle manufacturer. She told me they should work because they are magnetic. They are still stainless steel, it is just the alloy has been formulated to be magnetic.

• Juthro and drinkkykeon like this

#43 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,283 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:22 AM

Hello gentlemen, I'm curious how your experiment is going? I wonder, could you replace your glass cylinder with a thin walled stainless one? Since you'd be using a foot pedal for control, you could place your needles or scalpel into the stainless sleeve and heat them?

Another thought that poped up, a woman's flat iron? You could create a stand that left the flat iron opened slightly to place your needles/scalpel's inside? Just mount the iron in a stand.

#44 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:37 PM

Hello gentlemen, I'm curious how your experiment is going? I wonder, could you replace your glass cylinder with a thin walled stainless one? Since you'd be using a foot pedal for control, you could place your needles or scalpel into the stainless sleeve and heat them?

Another thought that poped up, a woman's flat iron? You could create a stand that left the flat iron opened slightly to place your needles/scalpel's inside? Just mount the iron in a stand.

I have put my experiment on hold due to some technical issues and lack of funds. For now, a butane culinary torch with its stand is working excellently. And now that I will have a flow cabinet within the month, I do not have to worry about flammable fumes anymore like I used to with a SAB.

As far as a flat iron goes, it would have to be able to get the tools red hot for 5 seconds or so. I am not sure if a flat iron is capable of that heat range and if it was, it would be very uncomfortable to sit near it because it would have to be red hot!

As far as the induction coil sleeve is concerned, I chose glass because it does not interrupt magnetic fields like metal does. Technically a sleeve is not needed at all, but needles and scalpels can scratch the varnish insulation on the magnetic induction coil which could cause an electrical short and quick destruction of the oscilator. A surgical steel tube may work since it is non-magnetic but I am still unsure if it would still not interfere in the magnetic field in some way.

#45 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,283 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Jinroh, torch sounds easier, especially now that you're using a cabinet.

Good luck!
  • Jinroh likes this

#46 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Jinroh, torch sounds easier, especially now that you're using a cabinet.

Good luck!

Thank you!

• YoshiTrainer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!