• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:13 PM

On September 30th I crumbled 2 PF tek cakes into a bag of substrate.

20190930_193221.jpg

Yesterday, on October 4th this bag is 100% colonized.

20191005_150426.jpg 20191005_150429.jpg

My question is: How important is 100% consolidation, does it only reduce chance of contams? Will it not fruit properly until mycelium stops growing/eating nutes? and will it effect yields?

I am planning to fruit this brick in a SGFC after a dunk n roll

Thanks for the advice!

#2 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

Consolidating a cake isn’t paramount. You don’t have to do it.

However, it helps as the cake will sit there for a week, give or take a day or more in either direction, anyway until it’s ready to fruit. So if you birth right after full colonization and place in whatever FC of your chose, it will still sit there until it is ready and/or has consolidated. During this time in even the most perfectly crafted FC, it will inevitably start to loose moisture via evaporation.

Keeping the cake in the jar/container for the consolidation period helps the cake not to loose as much of that valuable moisture.

Consolidation is a tool IMO. Not a “must do” for growing healthy flushes. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish with a particular grow.
  • CatsAndBats, ElPirana, Nicked and 1 other like this

#3 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:35 PM

Consolidating a cake isn’t paramount. You don’t have to do it.
However, it helps as the cake will sit there for a week, give or take a day or more in either direction, anyway until it’s ready to fruit. So if you birth right after full colonization and place in whatever FC of your chose, it will still sit there until it is ready and/or has consolidated. During this time in even the most perfectly crafted FC, it will inevitably start to loose moisture via evaporation.
Keeping the cake in the jar/container for the consolidation period helps the cake not to loose as much of that valuable moisture.
Consolidation is a tool IMO. Not a “must do” for growing healthy flushes. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish with a particular grow.

I’ve often wondered if the consolidation time will actually take longer (and hence longer time to pin) simply because the temperature is lower in fruiting conditions. I’ve never bothered to try this out for myself though, but it seems to make sense to me.

#4 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

I think I will let it consolidate for at least a few more days before I spawn it, I am also wondering if a full length dunk is necessary because the sub is still probably pretty moist since it is only about a week old...

#5 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

As an update, there was some cobweb on the top of the bag. I decided to do a short dunk in a diluted peroxide-water mix and spawn early to allow more FAE.

#6 FunG

FunG

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your luck with the cobweb man....once that shit is growing peroxide wont save it, peroxcide is mainly used to curb cobweb long enough for a maturing flush to finish but will do very little in preventing its return. The dunk just spread the spores all over

Trust me on this one, similar situation time and time again when i was doing invitro bags using cakes.

#7 Gallztron

Gallztron

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your luck with the cobweb man....once that shit is growing peroxide wont save it, peroxcide is mainly used to curb cobweb long enough for a maturing flush to finish but will do very little in preventing its return. The dunk just spread the spores all over

Trust me on this one, similar situation time and time again when i was doing invitro bags using cakes.

could a diluted peroxide/water mixture be used as a preventative measure?

#8 FunG

FunG

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

The only preventive measures for cobweb are ensuring that the substrate is not overly wet (primary cause) and has plenty of f.a.e (lack of fae with overly moist substrates are the leading catalyst to cobweb)

There's no other way to prevent it, a h202 dunk like I said will only give you a few days before the mycelium that h202 damages gets infected too then it returns with a vengeance, every time.

#9 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

I will update this thread with my outcome, a monotub in the same room was aborted because of trich though...

We will see and only time will tell.

Gave the bricks a good rinse after the dunk then rolled them in verm, trying to provide plenty of airflow to slow down the cobweb. If it doesn't get taken out by trich first :tinfoil: 

20191006_213734.jpg
20191009_155926.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!