• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

This specimen was found in southeastern Europe, in a mixed pine and oak forest. I'm very new at this, it looks like it could be some sort of Russula, but the wavy gills near the cap edge look like none of the species whose pics I could find on the internet. The gills look like they might be a distinguishing feature.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191007_181301.jpg
  • 20191007_181258.jpg
  • 20191007_181303.jpg

• Furthur1 likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,073 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

spore print? I don't know a whole lot about Russula in general but the spores should be white to dark yellow....

#3 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:29 AM

No print unfortunately, I couldn't take it with me. If I run into it again, I'll make one, check for bruising etc. I should really do those things every time, now that I think about it.

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,842 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:58 AM

Looks sort of like a Shrimp Russula, possibly a wine cap. if it tastes peppery it's no go, if it smells tastes shrimpey with no pepper sensation you are good to go, but always start light when ingesting any new ones. 

• NatureIsMagic likes this

#5 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

Well I found some more russulas in another place. I'm 99% sure it's shrimp Russula. Stem is white with some carmine, bruised ochre-brown, gills were cream and turned ochre later. I dunno what a shrimp is supposed to smell like, but it does have a certain smell. It doesn't taste bitter or peppery. I forgot to check the tree where I found it, and there aren't many conifers in that part of the woods. I'll check the tree tomorrow and if it's a conifer, then that's it. But even if it isn't, if it doesn't taste peppery it's good to eat?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191019_163441.jpg
  • 20191019_163432.jpg
  • 20191019_163417.jpg

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,842 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

I am in the Pacific NW USA and not where you are and am more familiar with the local fungi, but as far as I know there are no really toxic ones with that specific look. I think Shrimp Russula is a decent guess, but honestly I woud not eat any of them that I can't 100% sure identify. Sure is pretty to look at though!

#7 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

I guess you're right, but how could I 100% identify a red russula without dna testing? Would a pine tree at the site be close enough to 100%? I'll have a spore print as well, supposedly it should be pale yellow.

Local mushroom websites say that other than The Sickener there aren't any poisonous russulas around, but there's hardly any mention of russula xerampelina, and it's always under a different folk name. I guess it's time to shop for a good field guide.

Edited by NatureIsMagic, 20 October 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#8 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:56 PM

A shrimp russula has a very distinct smell. Something you don't quite understand until you smell it for the first time. It basically smells like seafood. The closest I would say is it smells quite like crab meat. Often you need to bruise it a little or break a small piece off to get the smell but when you get it it's so unique and strong its hard to forget. They're worth keeping an eye out for as they are quite delicious.

Happy hunting

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

#9 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:26 AM

I'll try frying to see if that gets the smell out.

#10 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:10 AM

The smell is very distinct. If you can't smell it before frying it up then it's not a shrimp russula...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

#11 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:49 AM

Ok, no smell, no shrimp. I checked the site where I found them and found some more of what I believe are the same shrooms in other places. They all grow under "european hornbeam" trees. It's what the plant.net app identifies the tree as. This also goes against the shrimp russula.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!