9 replies to this topic

#1 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:55 PM

It has been a while since I've been here and growing mushrooms!

The other day I found these beautiful big patches of mushrooms nearby, growing on the ground next to a school building. I went back there to get some specimens to try and identify. Found out that they are an edible variety named Hypholoma Capnoides. Took four spore prints.

They are in the Stropharia family so they look a lot like the active mushrooms most of us grow here, with some minor different properties. I took some pictures at home of the specimens I collected.

I wanted to go back and get some more to try them out, but unfortunately they had all collapsed the next day. Might go back in a few days after some more rain, also to make some pictures of the patches.

I have found out that to cultivate these indoors I should follow growing methods used for enoki mushrooms. Looking forward to experiment with this, starting by getting the spores onto agar this week.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20191005_185150.jpg
  • PSX_20191005_185123.jpg
  • PSX_20191005_185100.jpg
  • PSX_20191005_185034.jpg
  • PSX_20191005_184954.jpg
  • PSX_20191005_184922.jpg
  • PSX_20191005_184846.jpg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 07 October 2019 - 06:20 PM.

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:56 AM

Aha! I finally got to the point of some succes with the spores I took from these specimens.

I took four spore prints, two of the specimens dropped a lot of spores, and two ended up producing a less dense print. I hadn't read into taking spore prints at the time so I messed up by not letting the prints dry before folding the foil and storing in a baggy - which made for some bad prints in case of the dark prints.

I didn't know at the time I started streaking these spores onto agar the effect of not doing your prints the right way, and thought it would be best to use the thick prints to start out with. Tried two times from both of these thick prints, on several plates,with not much luck other than some mycelial growth I wasn't able to save from its horribly contaminated habitat.

So, the third time I tried one of the prints that didn't look so cool but seemed cleaner and weren't wet when I stored them. At this point I knew how to do printing so I figured it would give me more chance of succes than my previous attempts. Something else which happened by chance this time, is that I made a thinner agar mix, simply because I was too impatient to notice I hadn't mixed in my ingredients quite well.
I just recently learned that this mistake might have come in helpful since a thinner agar mix would help in hydrating the spores.

I was extra careful with my sterile technique because this had caused me some problems before, and this resulted in some nice clean streaks onto my plates, that stayed clean the first week unlike my previous attempts.

I did four dishes the 19th of November and two of them have started germinating yesterday, showing more promise today.

I am so pleased with this, I had almost given up on the prints I took!

I suspect the two cleaner prints were also more clean because I took those specimens from the underside of the patch they grew from, so they might have been less exposed to the elements. Might have well been younger too.

Hope to be able to update with some pictures soon at the point I'm ready to make some transfers.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 24 November 2019 - 05:17 AM.

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

I now have four dishes that gerninated so well, i don't know what to do with them all. I guess it's time to get crazy and make some new agar dishes one day and do some transfers the next, and repeat that a few times because I can only prepare so many dishes at a time. Maybe try different recipes, see what it prefers.

Or would you say that it would be good to just get one of the dishes into a few jars to do a grow without isolating a strain - and clone from that?

I'll think about it. Tomorrow it'll be time to prepare some dishes first.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191128_215207.jpg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 28 November 2019 - 03:58 PM.

• CourageToGrow likes this

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2019 - 03:57 AM

20191212_094341.jpg

I made 4 of these plates from 2 of those four spore swipes a week ago. One of them got contaminated so I got rid of that, there wasn't any aggressive growth on that plate so that wasn't very hard to do. I prefer not to do transfers from contaminated plates if I don't need to.

This one plate however has a small contamination (4 'o clock), but has some nice rhizomorphic growth, so I will save all these three samples from that plate today!

I have 2 similar clean plates from which I will transfer 4 more good looking samples. I will do 2 transfers of each so I will have 14 transfers to do in total. Good thing I was able to get 20 plates ready yesterday - I'll have some spare ones for my other species if I need them.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 12 December 2019 - 10:35 AM.

• dial8 likes this

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:02 AM

Ten days after second transfer..

PSX_20191223_085549.jpg

Have two of each of these - and two other isolates that don't grow well - so for that reason and symmetry in the picture I left them out. The last three dishes in the picture were transferred from the dish I posted before.

You can see the last one got contaminated - another dish had a small bacterial contamination as well - but the mycelium took that over, slowed down a bit at that point and is happily growing along ever since. I want to see whether that happens here too.

All in all I am not displeased with 2/14 dishes getting a small contam - I am improving.

I found it funny that first dish isn't fully symmetric - the copy grew in the same manner.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 23 December 2019 - 05:56 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:11 AM

I will be putting 6 of these dishes to rye, devided over 12 jars, today. I will do some transfers first to make some backups before doing the inoculation. I happen to have exactly 6 dishes left over from the last agar session.

In the mean time I have prepared for this bigger than usual project by ordering a 23 qrt Presto pressure cooker, but am not expecting to receive it before I need it since I am importing from the US and transport might take a week or two. I want to get on with the project so I will have to do an extra PC cycle for now since my PC only fits 4 jars at a time.

I am planning to do 12 quart jars of sawdust substrate, with holes drilled into the middle to make room for the spawn. That will then colonize from the inside out - and when colonized I will fruit them from the jars in an unmodified tub / fruiting chamber on top of a layer of perlite.

I can check results of the different strains side by side to select for the best genetics - and another good reason to fruit them from the jars is because I will have to cold shock them to induce fruiting - I don't have room in my fridge for big substrates. I am unsure about whether I will have to dunk them before fruiting as well, I assume it won't hurt if I do - but the substrate might already contain enough moisture to give a flush.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 28 December 2019 - 11:01 AM.

• Cuboid likes this

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

Okay that went not as good as I had hoped, but let's hope for the best. My SAB was way too full, hard to work around it and easy to mess things up. Will have to upgrade soon to a bigger one to make things less awkward.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 28 December 2019 - 05:34 PM.

#8 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

Here is one of the jars of strain #4.

20200106_201553.jpg

I quartered every dish and put two quarters of the culture into a small amount of rye. So, two jars per strain. Twelve jars total for 6 strains. A bit inefficient but practical since I will inoculate 12 quart jars.

As mentioned before some things went wrong with inoculating these jars: I forgot to cut out a small bacterial contaminant on one plate and also dropped one piece of agar on my cooling rack inside my SAB, but put it in the jar anyway. So far I see no contamination issues though, all of the jars look healthy. I won't shake them to speed things up, don't want to spread any possible contaminants as well. Will just let it go until it is fully colonized.

They will probably be all colonized later this week - good thing the delivery of my new PC is quicker than anticipated, just received a mail to expect a package from abroad tomorrow!

Guess I'll have to buy some fuel pellets soon and prepare the substrate for my quart jars I'm spawning to. Will have to fix a bigger SAB as well - but have been having trouble with ordering tubs because there was a faulty address on the label, so I'll have to wait for it to be returned and have my money refunded before I can order it again, little tight on cash at the moment.

My new SAB will be 150 quarts, so I think I'll never need a bigger one. I'll use my smaller one to take spore prints.

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

Alright, some progress is being made. I have prepped the substrate for these with fuel pellets and wheat bran, but ended up with almost twice as much as anticipated. I was prepared to do 12 liter jars, but ended up filling 21 jars with substrate. It was a lot of work, been at it for a few hours and still have to sterilize.

Should have probably done a test to make sure how much jars I could fill with following a recipe for a 5 lbs block.. would have been almost 4 of them.

Luckily I have my big PC now so 3 cycles will be exactly enough to cover them all.

I thought I only had enough spawn to inoculate 12 jars, but having done the math I should be able to easily inoculate them all, since I only need about 0.1 liters per jar - and I have 12 spawn jars with 0.2 liters of substrate. Low spawn ratio, but it will just take a little longer.

Will keep you posted on how that goes tomorrow.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 January 2020 - 05:02 PM.

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 926 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:20 PM

Okay that was a complete waste of my time and energy. Well, not completely. I have learnt quite a lot. For example: Run tests!

I was ready to inoculate all these 21 jars, had them sitting in my new SAB with the spawn jars. Then I opened up a jar and I found out I had not drilled a big enough hole to make room for the spawn. Made sense in the end, I don't know why I thought it would work drilling a small hole of 1 cm or 3/8" wide. During sterilization the sawdust had expanded and the hole had narrowed.

Now I am left stabbing these jars clean with a big kitchen knife. At least I can get rid of my frustration, that is a plus.

20200116_223324.jpg

Something else I have learnt: It could have worked if I had just drilled a big enough hole, but cleaning these jars out if they were to be fully colonized would be a pain in the ass - it is already with just a clean substrate in them.

The final lesson is: be careful with stabbing your jars of substrate with a knife. Before the 20th jar you will end up with a broken jar and a cut in your foot.

Run tests! I did this test for you so you don't have to.

I would not advice to use this method with bottles or jars unless you want a lot of work on your hands.

I will toss my spawn because I will need some time to figure out how to go further on this. I have the strains on agar still, so no worries. Will probably make some blocks and fruit those in tubs with perlite - or maybe even try a tray. Keep it simple.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 January 2020 - 05:26 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!