33 replies to this topic

#21 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

Yes, contamination has happened before.

As long as it is growing and there were no contams to start with, and a sterilized sub, it doesn't happen often.

Being that this an MS grow, I think you're doing quite well. MAybe just let them finish colonizing the grain

Peace

Peace, and thank you.

#22 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

They do look good, but I'd give then a bit longer before using them as spawn.

You can break up bags more than once. I've done it several times. It causes the mycelium to burst into growth by damage.
When I break my bags up, I lay them on their side and try to "thin out" the depth of grain and give it more surface area.

You're off to a great start if this is your first time growing

Peace

is this the same for jars?

#23 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:59 PM

I just broke up one bag a second time. It looked like the mycelium stopped, I'm hoping this will promote more growth. I'll lay it on it's side like you suggested.
  • crazy1 likes this

#24 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

You can break up bags more than once. I've done it several times. It causes the mycelium to burst into growth by damage.
When I break my bags up, I lay them on their side and try to "thin out" the depth of grain and give it more surface area.

Peace

When you lay the bags on their sides, do you compact the grains to make sure there are no air pockets?

#25 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

You should break the bag up enough so that every last kernel of grain is separated, or as close to that as you can get within reason, and then thoroughly mix the bag around several times while kneading the bag to get a very thorough mixture at least twice as long as what you think  you should mix it for, and rub out the top folds of the bags to make sure there isn't any straggler grains stuck up in the the top of the bag. There's really no need to lay them out on the sides or anything with a good thorough mixing at the right time.

• crazy1 likes this

#26 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

No, I just break them up and lay them on their side. Just ty to make it kinda level

Peace

• Sidestreet likes this

#27 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:59 PM

You should break the bag up enough so that every last kernel of grain is separated, or as close to that as you can get within reason, and then thoroughly mix the bag around several times while kneading the bag to get a very thorough mixture at least twice as long as what you think you should mix it for, and rub out the top folds of the bags to make sure there isn't any straggler grains stuck up in the the top of the bag. There's really no need to lay them out on the sides or anything with a good thorough mixing at the right time.

Thanks Sandman

#28 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

No, I just break them up and lay them on their side. Just ty to make it kinda level

Peace

Thank you

#29 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:11 AM

Peace

is this the same for jars?
I don't think you can do it with jars. When you open them to break it up, wouldn't it let in contamination? With bags, you just break it up in the sealed bag.

#30 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:30 AM

When you do grain for spawn in a jar, you leave pleanty of room so you can shake the jar.

Sometimes you may have to "bump" it a little harder to get the grain to move the first time, but just shaking you never open the jar until you're ready to spawn the grain to a sub.

Peace

#31 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:17 AM

When you do grain for spawn in a jar, you leave pleanty of room so you can shake the jar.
Sometimes you may have to "bump" it a little harder to get the grain to move the first time, but just shaking you never open the jar until you're ready to spawn the grain to a sub.

Peace

It feels a little like going backwards, but I want to try PF Tek next. I thought you were supposed to have your jar pretty full, and then have a layer of vermiculite on top. How much space do you suggest leaving?

#32 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:50 AM

PF Tek isn't grain spawn for further inoculations. PF is an all in one grow media.

When you do grain for spawn in a jar, usually about 3/4 full is adequate head space so there's room to shake it up.

Peace

#33 PsillyBilly

PsillyBilly

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

Peace

Thanks for this advice. Laying the bag on its side really helped. I believe I'll be mixing it this weekend.
  • crazy1 likes this

#34 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

I'm glad you had success with that. it has always worked well for me.

But as Sandman said, it is not necessary to do it

Peace

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!