• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 grimfrost

grimfrost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

Hey Everyone! New member and first time grower here. 

I have 4 sets of 5 jars each currently colonizing for hopeful monotub transfer. 

This set appears to be the farthest along, how do you all think they're looking? 

Thanks! 

Grimfrost

unnamed.jpg

• Baphom3t and Auxin like this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:04 PM

I'm not following on the coffee filters, but they spawn looks good. They look fully colonized...

• Baphom3t, Stroker and grimfrost like this

#3 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

I assume they are dust guards that allow freer GE than foil.

Nice idea for a balance between no cover and foil.

• grimfrost likes this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:19 PM

I assume they are dust guards that allow freer GE than foil.

Nice idea for a balance between no cover and foil.

The foil is used so that additional water does not enter the jar during sterilization and upset the moisture balance... Not as a dust guard... Once they come out of the cooker, the foil can be removed, though i dont bother.... You really don't need a whole lot of GE at all when colonizing a jar... The foil doesn't impact colonization.

Foil or no foil, you aren't going to see colonization times vary with any significance... You can throw your jars in a tub with no air flow and colonization speed will be similar if not the same.

Edited by PJammer24, 08 October 2019 - 03:20 PM.

• Baphom3t and grimfrost like this

#5 grimfrost

grimfrost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

@PJammer24 Thanks! 

The coffee filters were suggested on the tek I used, I think for added protection. Not sure if they're necessary or not...I only used tyvek and polyfill for the lids. 

I was planning to wait until all of the grain was no longer visible and the jars are fully white. 

Is it necessary to wait that long? 

#6 grimfrost

grimfrost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:24 PM

@pjammer24

Not sure if my last comment went through, apologies if this is double.

The tek I used listed the coffee filters as another layer of protection. I'm not sure if it's necessary or not, I only used Tyvek and polyfill for my lids. 

Should I wait until there's no grain showing and the jar is fully white to transfer?

#7 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

Looks like those are ready to go, and welcome to topia!

Edited by Stroker, 08 October 2019 - 07:36 PM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#8 grimfrost

grimfrost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

Looks like those are ready to go, and welcome to topia!

I posted this on Shroomery also and everyone there said they look bacterial, everyone here on Mycotopia said they look good....

They do look a little wet inside....

#9 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

I'm new to this myself, but they look fine to me. The jar in the middle does look a little different in the bottom left of the jar. But I'm using a mobile device. How long since inoculation? Give it a smell, does it smell shoomy?

#10 grimfrost

grimfrost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

I'm new to this myself, but they look fine to me. The jar in the middle does look a little different in the bottom left of the jar. But I'm using a mobile device. How long since inoculation? Give it a smell, does it smell shoomy?

It's been just over a month, haven't opened to smell yet I think that's gonna be the next step

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:42 AM

A couple of the jars may be bacterial but its no so evident that I wouldn't use them. There are a few spots where the grains are pushed up against the glass and look uncolonized. That is a sign that they might be a little bacterial... There doesn't appear to be a ton of metabolites pooling in the jar so any bacterial infection is not terrible... I would go ahead and use them now.

• grimfrost likes this

#12 grimfrost

grimfrost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

A couple of the jars may be bacterial but its no so evident that I wouldn't use them. There are a few spots where the grains are pushed up against the glass and look uncolonized. That is a sign that they might be a little bacterial... There doesn't appear to be a ton of metabolites pooling in the jar so any bacterial infection is not terrible... I would go ahead and use them now.

How bout this batch? When I shook them it exposed uncolonized grains. 

These are at 6 weeks...

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed-1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!