• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

I just spawned out three dubtubs. In each, I had intended to retain a portion of the substrate to spread thinly over the surface after loading and leveling the spawn/sub mixture but on the first one I spaced out and forgot to save that portion so now the spawn/sub mixture is the surface and wheat grains are exposed.

Ordinarily I would just sterilize a little coir or verm and put it on top, but this is a comparative grow to test yield and potency from different substrates, so I cant add anything. Even verm could effect yield by altering pinset, I assume, so I'm hoping to avoid that.

Will having exposed grains increase risk of contam? And if so, will that risk drop off once its fully colonized and ready to fruit, or will it also pose a risk to the later flushes?

• Billcoz likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

I usually sprinkle a little substrate on top but I didn't do this for years. I know Coorsmikey doesn't and leaves grains exposed... If the spawn and substrate were prepared properly, you should not have an issue. Those exposed grains should be completely recolonized with myc in a day or two and will no longer be exposed.

• Billcoz and ElrikEriksson like this

#3 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

Good, I can relax now :wink:

The spawn was absolutely beautiful before shaking the jars, and 4 days consolidated, so it sounds like things are most likely going to be fine.

#4 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

I'd say you're good to go, I only case sometimes. 

And the world won't end, it may pause for a brief moment though   :biggrin:

Peace

• Billcoz likes this

#5 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:55 PM

I can handle that, then.

Every time I hit a legitimate level 5 peak the universe pauses right at the height of it.

I knew that was practice for something :laugh:

• crazy1 likes this

#6 FunG

FunG

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:13 PM

I usually just mix in the spawn and bulk and leave some exposed kernels at the top so I can monitor its overall progress, kernels contaminating have never been a problem since they're fully colonized by mycelium and usually are fully engulfed and recovered by the 72 hour mark.

You do realize the testing you have planned requires a true isolate (two spores) and multiple isolates to select the Gene's with the most potent fruit bodies?

If it's only been semi isolated you'll still have a wide bag of genetics going on in clone samples.

If its ms then I get ya, I do a couple small shoeboxes from Ms and then tissue clone from the best one and go from there, haven't been practicing it like that lately but in the past that's how I'd cutt corners.
  • Billcoz likes this

#7 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:09 AM

The highest standard of evidence is with isolates, yes. But MS grows of domesticate varieties do still provide usable data, even if not convincing or reliable by themselves.

I have a whole list of things I'm growing out by MS while I work toward a few clonal isolates and so I'm doing MS tests along the way. Those isolates will eventually land into this substrate experiment as well, as will two other species. I want to have ample data to report in a few months.

• crazy1 and Billcoz like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!