26 replies to this topic

#21 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 784 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

As Juthro so kindly pointed out above, using quart jars is not ideal for BRF cakes.  Half pint is the norm.  Best of luck!

• Juthro and Billcoz like this

#22 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:32 PM

As Juthro so kindly pointed out above, using quart jars is not ideal for BRF cakes.  Half pint is the norm.  Best of luck!

Yeah, I don't think that had anything to do with the cakes shrinking/collapsing, but that is correct. Pint jars will stall quite often.

• Juthro likes this

#23 FunG

FunG

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:29 AM

Did op see where I mentioned to use a towel between the jars and the bottom of the pot? If they're not sitting on a divider that comes with the PC that is....

#24 DustStorm

DustStorm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:12 AM

Did op see where I mentioned to use a towel between the jars and the bottom of the pot? If they're not sitting on a divider that comes with the PC that is....

Some towels will disintegrate in a PC, and I've scorched some by lining pots with it to stop them from shattering the jars from the heat, but it does indeed work.

I'd rather just line the bottom with forks, spoons or butter knives to act as a divider for the bottoms of the jars nowadays, but towels or scrap cloth will work fine for multiple uses until they start to unthread and break apart.

As far as cakes collapsing/compressing in the jar from the heat... well, the jars lose moisture when they're being heated up, and usually it occurs when you keep the spawn mixture a bit too dry. It's not really bad to keep the spawn moisture a bit lower than normal, and it actually helps stop bacteria from flourishing too quickly.

My grain jars always dry down slightly and shrink to about 2/3 the size of the original filling, or sometimes even 1/2 of it's original volume after I pc'ed them, and they still take spores, LC and agar transfers nicely.

The best type of jars for making PF-style cakes are half-pint, pint, and pint-and-a-half jars. The wide-mouth versions only. They have smooth shouldered mouths, allowing you to just tap or wiggle the cake out.

OP might as well just use the quart jars to spawn to bulk, but that's if the spawn doesn't contam during consolidation of the jars.

Edited by DustStorm, 17 October 2019 - 09:13 AM.

#25 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:15 PM

I have a divider for my PC, but back when I was using a pot & lid I had this pizza oven rack disk thing, that fit just perfectly inside the pot I have. It's like a metal ring with a wire mesh center to keep pizza hot or cook it or something.

I'd just ball up a few big pieces of tinfoil to about 1 1/2" thick, put em in the bottom of the pot and put the wire disk thing on em, so the jars sat stable on top with plenty of room for enough water so I didn't have to worry about water boiling dry and open it to check the level.

My little bro stole the wire rack from Hungry Howies(where he worked) for me. I saw it one day when I was there & the thought popped in my head that I could use it for this very purpose lol.

I was obsessed with mycology when I was starting, so I looked at everything as potential myco equipment. Plus I am an extreme low-budgetter, or just a cheap ass.

Edited by Billcoz, Yesterday, 12:17 PM.

• DustStorm likes this

#26 DustStorm

DustStorm

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:10 PM

I have a divider for my PC, but back when I was using a pot & lid I had this pizza oven rack disk thing, that fit just perfectly inside the pot I have. It's like a metal ring with a wire mesh center to keep pizza hot or cook it or something.

I'd just ball up a few big pieces of tinfoil to about 1 1/2" thick, put em in the bottom of the pot and put the wire disk thing on em, so the jars sat stable on top with plenty of room for enough water so I didn't have to worry about water boiling dry and open it to check the level.

My little bro stole the wire rack from Hungry Howies(where he worked) for me. I saw it one day when I was there & the thought popped in my head that I could use it for this very purpose lol.

I was obsessed with mycology when I was starting, so I looked at everything as potential myco equipment. Plus I am an extreme low-budgetter, or just a cheap ass.

Same, I'm a cheapskate, but I blame video games that taught me about barterism. I want as much value out of my time or resources as possible, even though in reality I know I'd be way more chill about settling with what I have. It really helps to have an open mind about how we can approach this hobby, and what could make the best value-per-action ratio possible.

I used a stainless steel wire rack that was used to cool pastries down, or as a paper towel stand, or w/e it was used for by my granny...

But it's the same circumference as the presto 23qt pc rack plate, and it has three legs that allows me to put 10 quarts + 1 pint jars inside perfectly snug.

Before that, I just stuck steel utensils or metal jar rings on the bottom to keep the glass jars off of the bottom or sides of the pc, and used cloth to line them so that the jars could have some cushion of some sort. We just improve our skills as we go along.

Edited by DustStorm, Yesterday, 03:12 PM.

#27 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted Today, 07:51 AM

Thank you everyone for the valuable insight provide. I'm very excited about this new hobby and perhaps a bit impatient. Since I joined this sight I've inoculated 16 quart jars applying what I've learned from the pros (you guys). Using 4 different strands, Burma, Golden Teacher, B+, and PE, I'm seeing my first mycelium growth. The jar size and cake shrinkage have been a learning process.

Also, as the fall season moves in, keeping my jar temps up has been a small challenge. I'm using 2 aquarium heating mats with digital readout inside of a large storage tote in front of a window. In efforts to evenly heat such large jars I've laid most on their sides on the mats. I'm trying to get my jars close to a consistent 80 degrees usually coming in at about 76-78. Growth is very very slow or I can't see what's taking place inside the cakes to know how it's going. It's a test of patience that's for sure.

One question about fill:
When I'm hydrating my mix and grab a handfull to check progress, I'll squeeze and visible moisture comes up between my fingers, but does not drip or stream out. Is this good? Is underhydration why I'm seein so much shrink after PC? Do I need more water? If I need more water can I add it at this point through my injection ports?

As always, thank you ladies and gentlemen for your input.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!