16 replies to this topic

#1 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

Hello there,

I'm starting my second cultivation (sorry for my non native english) and i'm trying pf-tek.

I'm following this guide: http://www.fanaticus.com/

My question is: I inoculated earlier today and placed the jars in the incubator, should I keep the lids? I placed one tin foil lid with holes for inoculating, and a second tin foil lid with rubber bands, should I keep this second lid while incubating?

This are the jars right now, after inoculation earlier today

wgjvCu5.jpg

Edited by elunicotomas, 09 October 2019 - 08:11 PM.

#2 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:14 PM

If you have a dry verm barrier on top of your substrate I have read that you do not need the double foil. Small amount of fresh air is ok.

• Sidestreet, Billcoz and elunicotomas like this

#3 FunG

FunG

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:17 PM

If you have a dry verm barrier on top of your substrate I have read that you do not need the double foil. Small amount of fresh air is ok.

What macgyver said and a alternative to a 2nd tinfoil lid would be micropore tape.

I'd wait until the cakes are near 75-80% colonized and then remove the 2nd tinfoil layer, they might stall out on you. Cakes can be tricky once the co2 is pent up
  • Billcoz and elunicotomas like this

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:04 AM

So you just added tinfoil instead of metal jar lids or you mean 2 layers of tinfoil on top of that? If no metal lid, I'd leave the second tinfoil layer on without the rubber band so some air can get in. Normally the jar lids are used with 3-5 holes, and you can put foil back on or not, I leave it off but I use micropore tape over the holes.

Edited by Billcoz, 10 October 2019 - 01:05 AM.

#5 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

Yes they have a top layer of dry verm.

From my finger to the top is dry verm:

ebnFtJj.jpg

So you just added tinfoil instead of metal jar lids or you mean 2 layers of tinfoil on top of that? If no metal lid, I'd leave the second tinfoil layer on without the rubber band so some air can get in. Normally the jar lids are used with 3-5 holes, and you can put foil back on or not, I leave it off but I use micropore tape over the holes.

Those are not "jars" are just glasses (250cc) with two tin foil layers.

The first one, 2 holes and micropore tape

uRGDUDC.jpg

The second one

08trsEb.jpg

I'll leave the second layer without the rubber band, or just remove it as the iner layer has micropore tape over the holes ?

#6 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:40 PM

Oh I see, sorry I didn't notice that. You might want to keep both foils with the inner layer sealed with the rubber band, so the top layer is looser, just acting as a dust cap.

The dry verm layer should be sufficient too, but contams do get through em sometimes. If you want extra protection just poke holes in the top foil layer and mp tape that and rubber band it down.

• peacefrog and elunicotomas like this

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,503 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:21 AM

I would remove the top layer completely.  Next time, you probably don't even need the micropore tape--it may slow down growth by preventing gas exchange.  The dry verm layer is very good at keeping contaminants out.  Billcoz is right that they get through sometimes, but it's rarely a problem. 

• crazy1, peacefrog, Billcoz and 1 other like this

#8 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Oh I see, sorry I didn't notice that. You might want to keep both foils with the inner layer sealed with the rubber band, so the top layer is looser, just acting as a dust cap.

The dry verm layer should be sufficient too, but contams do get through em sometimes. If you want extra protection just poke holes in the top foil layer and mp tape that and rubber band it down.

I'll do that, thanks!

#9 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

I would remove the top layer completely.  Next time, you probably don't even need the micropore tape--it may slow down growth by preventing gas exchange.  The dry verm layer is very good at keeping contaminants out.  Billcoz is right that they get through sometimes, but it's rarely a problem. 

didn't see this message....

I'll leave 3 jars with the outer lid loose without rubber band, and the other 3 jars with only the inner lid to see how it goes. 

Thanks!

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,463 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

@sidestreet, considering you are a PF guru, I may be wrong but I don't see how the 2nd layer of foil would slow growth if its loosely placed on top... GE should occur no problem as long as the foil is not sealed around the jar... We aren't talking about FAE here and the foil isn't going to limit GE to the mycelium any more than the verm layer is that sits on top of it... The GE will occur around the sides just like GE occurs through the cracks and crevices in the verm layer.

• elunicotomas likes this

#11 FunG

FunG

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:27 AM

I dont know about you guys but when I sterilized pf cakes way back when the foil would always shrink to the jar creating a airtight seal, the only ge was done threw the inoculation holes which I'd cover with micropore tape.

The 2nd layer of foil shouldn't hinder growth anymore so then just a single layer but it has potential to later on in colonization, the co2 gets up there because of the low volume of space in a 250ml jar, or even 500ml it's not like a grain jar that usually has a lot more space making co2 not such a problem but they'd always stall on me around 90-95% so I began removing micropore tape and that helped.

Sorry if I'm making a small thing seem so much larger but yea, stalled cakes suck.
  • Billcoz and elunicotomas like this

#12 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,503 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

I may be wrong but I don't see how the 2nd layer of foil would slow growth if its loosely placed on top...

It's all good!  I was just saying what I would do, which is definitely not the only way to do things.

• peacefrog likes this

#13 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:44 PM

Hey Sidetreet! Dude, thanks for that Magic for the Masses write up, it's one of the things I learned the most from when I was starting with pf. I read back through sometimes still. I recommend it to new guys too.

Edited by Billcoz, 11 October 2019 - 10:45 PM.

• Sidestreet, crazy1, peacefrog and 1 other like this

#14 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,316 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:33 AM

OP,
If all is clean, you should be good and some solid advise has been given above.

Edited by peacefrog, 12 October 2019 - 05:35 AM.

• Sidestreet and elunicotomas like this

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,503 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:39 AM

Hey Sidetreet! Dude, thanks for that Magic for the Masses write up, it's one of the things I learned the most from when I was starting with pf. I read back through sometimes still. I recommend it to new guys too.

You're welcome!  I hoped it could help a lot of people, and while it's definitely not perfect I'm glad to see people are reading it.  At some point I'll come back and add on to it.  Eventually it would be cool if it had agar, bulk techniques, etc.

• crazy1 and Billcoz like this

#16 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

You're welcome!  I hoped it could help a lot of people, and while it's definitely not perfect I'm glad to see people are reading it.  At some point I'll come back and add on to it.  Eventually it would be cool if it had agar, bulk techniques, etc.

I've seen guys who I gave the link to, months later recommending it to others and saying it was their main source of info, so yeah, It definitely has helped a lot of people. It would be very cool to see it expanded to bulk & agar etc and be a complete guide. 

• Sidestreet and elunicotomas like this

#17 elunicotomas

elunicotomas

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Thanks to all who answered!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!