• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

If there was a couple of small tubs in an enclosed incubation at a temp range of 78°- 80° and each sub in the tub could not be viewed unless their individual lids were removed, what day would the Ascending Masters remove the lids of the tubs to check on colonization status?  Day 10? 12?  Would the Master be concerned with removing the lid for say...reasons like condensation on the underside dripping on the substrate? Intro of any contams?

Thanks

SM

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,501 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

At day 12? Oh hell yeah I would PEEK! If your technique was sound the a few drop from then lid won't hurt. At day 12 its already con-tamed or its all white. I commend you on the patience thus far! It's messing with your projects way to much, overkill on the TLC is what gets most folks that make through the initial aseptic tek stage. You don't really think that we all fruit and harvest in front of a laminar flow hood do you? Shed some light on those tubs for us and report back?

Edited by coorsmikey, 10 October 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#3 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

In the case of following this advice from wharfrats dub tek:

"Into the incubator they go, until completely colonized, this usually takes approximately 10 days. I recommend not to open the tub until the 10 day mark, as not to introduce contaminants before the mycelium has the chance to run the whole sub".

So this was the thought on the 10 days.  12 Days would be a "for good measure" approach.  

Edited by SacredMountain, 10 October 2019 - 09:07 PM.

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:27 PM

For smaller bins, I'd check after 10 days minimum, thicker subs or bigger bins, might take another couple days.

The last bunch of runs I did I was checking after 14 days and letting them knot up really well and pin before removing the lid and opening the GE/FAE holes/putting in fruiting conditions, and they seemed to fruit better that way, maybe a little better pinset..

Edited by Billcoz, 10 October 2019 - 11:27 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#5 FunG

FunG

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

At a 1:1 ratio they're colonized in 7, pinning by 14.

12 day mark like others said is pretty close to two weeks and that's all it takes (under normal circumstances) for a bulk bin to colonize. You should be good to go!
  • Billcoz likes this

#6 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:19 AM

Day 10 Tomorrow for 1 of them.  Will check it then and I plan on adding a casing per DonShadow method

#7 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

At a 1:1 ratio they're colonized in 7, pinning by 14.

12 day mark like others said is pretty close to two weeks and that's all it takes (under normal circumstances) for a bulk bin to colonize. You should be good to go!

I have most often used a 1:2 - 1:3 spawn to sub with  ~60/40 coir/verm, that takes a couple extra days to colonize the extra sub. When I have done 1:1 it is faster, 7-8 days to colonize and pinning at 2 weeks.

I had an isolate of a B+ that wouldn't pin for 20 days or so after spawning. It would colonize and just sit there while the others would start fruiting. I tried different fanning/misting schedules, not fanning or misting, it didn't matter. I grew that iso out a bunch of times with other isos & MSs next to it in the exact same sub mix/conditions/start time, it always took that long.

Edited by Billcoz, 12 October 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#8 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Well I checked this evening (Day 10) & only a few areas in the corners looked fluffy white while the majority only looked slightly white (sort of hazy).  There was plenty of condensation on the lid when I gently removed it and flipped it.  On the substrate were some small pools of condensation which I just left alone as I did not want to touch the sub with anything (not sure if this was the correct path).  I wiped some of the condensation off of the lid and recovered the tub (6qt).  I am going to guess that in 2 days it will not be colonized (12 Days).  I did everything this evening inside of my SAB.  Any suggestions on how many more days I should give it?  How many times is too many to uncover and look in on?  Red Boy is what I am working with in this one.  I have an Acadian in another tub that is 3 days behind this one.  I think I will wait for 12 days to uncover it.  Temps are being maintained at a steady 78°-80°.

Thanks

SM

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,501 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

If it were me..... and you said 6qt's that I assume are clear, I would just put the lids on until you see baby mushrooms starting to pop up. Once you see them, then take the lids off and put them in the fruiting chamber. Or since you already peeked put the other half of the dub tub on and just wait it out. Try to stick with one tek instead of mixing multiples and asking how to fix. Save the casing plan for a different experiment after you get a few more grows under your belt. 

• Billcoz likes this

#10 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

If it were me..... and you said 6qt's that I assume are clear, I would just put the lids on until you see baby mushrooms starting to pop up. Once you see them, then take the lids off and put them in the fruiting chamber. Or since you already peeked put the other half of the dub tub on and just wait it out. Try to stick with one tek instead of mixing multiples and asking how to fix. Save the casing plan for a different experiment after you get a few more grows under your belt.

So, yes the tubs are clear, but with black liner.  Original lids (not clear, dark blue and not transparent) with holes covered with pore tape have been placed on for colonization, then I trimmed the excess liner away, per DonShadow.

I have followed DonShadows tek, I feel to a T (with the exception that his tubs appear a slight bit smaller & I am keeping the standard incubation temp going as opposed to Dons 72° because I have the tools to do so.  His tek was assuming one does not have the means to).  I have also kept wharfs tek in mind since it is using 6qt and I went by his 10 day advice at the incubation temperature because I could control that temp easiest.  Outside of that its Don.

Both teks are utilizing a cover method for colonization be it tinfoil or the original lids with pore tape. Colonization days are from 10-16 depending on incu. temps.

I have followed that exactly.  Both teks call for a casing.  Yes I understand that people say cubes do not have to have, but, follow the tek right???

I could be misinterpreted, but I don't feel like I have asked for anyone to fix anything nor do I believe that I have "overmixed" multiple teks.

I did ask these 2 questions:

"Any suggestions on how many more days I should give it"?  "How many times is too many to uncover and look in on"?

I have read and been told on multiple occasions that if I have a question don't hesitate to ask it.....  Is this no longer the case?  Just looking for some insight Brother.  Not looking to agitate anyone. 

Edited by SacredMountain, 13 October 2019 - 07:04 PM.

#11 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,501 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:48 PM

My bad, i thought you were combining two teks. By all means ask away and don't let my wording dissuade from doing so. I didn't remember Wharf's using a casing and frankly can't picture it unless it was an early casing. I know Wharfrat's grow style more so than I do Donshadow's. I also see many many folks start out with mixing up teks that they don't understand why that method works, well mix it with other parts from other folks teks. Like for example steam tyndalization  of pf cakes and then mix that up with WBS grain spawn with a dry verm layer as a casing...........Well you get what I'm saying. I am not agitated at all any really only want you to succeed.  But really if you want to take things as such, I can be a lil more direct in answering the questions.

"Any suggestions on how many more days I should give it"? ​As long as you can possibly hold out because every time you open the "Uncolonized sub" to peek you risk contamination. But at the same time how would you know if it hasn't comtam'd or its ready to fruit if you didn't look. You have to to look right? You will get many answers mostly from folks that say "I have read this". You have to decide what you want to hear but should be in the original tek if it was any good. While your own unique conditions and environment will make your situation possibly a lil different.
  "How many times is too many to uncover and look in on"? All it  take is the one time to f it up even though some can peek hundreds of times a day with screwing the pooch. Once again, how would you know until you it works or it fails? I read somewhere that you can peek all you want and i also read that peeking is bad. I say from experience that to what you must in moderation and what you must. Excessive peeking and TLC  will not make your mushrooms grow better. I say that from experience of not being able to control my peeking and many years of believing that I could force Cubes to fruit before they are ready and inducing fruiting conditions like I was in control.

Edited by coorsmikey, 13 October 2019 - 08:03 PM.

• SacredMountain likes this

#12 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:41 PM

Since I put the lid back on and went back into the incubator with it I am very hesitant to pull it out again and place the top tub on and then go back into incubator to keep the temp warm for colonization (at least that's the way I would go about it).  I will give it about 5 more days to recheck it.  If by then it's not ready I will go forth with the top tub regardless.

I will not mess with the Acadian tub before Day 12.  Those grain jars seemed to pick up more speed as they went as compared to the RBX.  I had 2 other RBX jars that were ahead of the Acadians only to be past up & fully colonized before they were.

On a side note... I did shake up the grains on the RBX the day before I had planned to spawn, but ended up having to wait until day 2 after the shake up to spawn it.  Not sure if it has played a role in it being slower now.  The Acadian I spawned the next day.

• Billcoz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!