Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

#281 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

I thought I would share my Semperviva grain bag progress. These bags are from the age of two weeks to four months. Half are wheat berries, the younger ones are whole oats. There are several more but I ran out of counter space. I also lost four bags so far to what appears to be black rot in two of them and trich in the other two. The smell leaves no doubt as to when a bag has gone sour. Now that I have a little experience cultivating this TEK, I know a little more about what to expect as they age. From my experience so far it looks like I will probably lose one or two more bags. Which is no big deal as far as running out is concerned.

Crop.JPG

Edited by Jinroh, 07 July 2020 - 02:55 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#282 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:11 PM

I think the variation you guys are seeing in the characteristics of the fruit have to do with buildup of CO2, ie not enough FAE.

Above normal CO2 concentrations result in curled/twisted fruits with under developed caps.

I suspect CaptainFuture gets the fruits he does because he has excellent FAE during pinning and fruiting.

Also, I suspect he lives in a climate that is close to producing the conditions that P. semperviva thrive in.

If your climate is already close to ideal conditions, you don't have to do much to get great results. If your climate is very far from the conditions you need, you have to to use a greater variety of techniques ($) to get a good artificial climate and thus, natural looking fruits, which I think is what everyone wants.

My 0.02$ without reading anything about CF lol
  • DonShadow, clumsy and Jinroh like this

#283 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:33 AM

CF has fruited just about everything and done well with it. He has a basement for fruiting species that

need lower temps and a normal room like we all have for everything else. All very low tech. He's

definitely got the touch.

• Jrotten and Toybox78 like this

#284 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

CF has fruited just about everything and done well with it. He has a basement for fruiting species that
need lower temps and a normal room like we all have for everything else. All very low tech. He's
definitely got the touch.

I agree seeing his stuff over the years lots like everything he touches turns to canopies

Your friendly neighborhood toybox
  • Jrotten and Jinroh like this

#285 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

He's got the touch, or he lives in a warm, humid climate

#286 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Awards Bar:

#287 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Awards Bar:

#288 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

Woops - clearly I don't have the touch!

Edited by Psilosophie, 08 July 2020 - 09:56 PM.

• Jrotten and Jinroh like this

#289 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:29 PM

Woops - clearly I don't have the touch!

Don't you hate when that happens? :laugh:

#290 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:59 PM

I don’t mean to self-promote, but the great benefit of the grain tek is that it negates the fruiting altogether and results in material that is on par with semperviva fruits, particularly when whole oats or whole barley is used and properly extracted. Alcohol extraction may increase the quality still yet. Doesn’t matter where you live; if you can find a pressure canner, make some injection port lids, obtain a clean culture (all of which you would need for fruiting anyway) then you’re good to go. IMO bags are a bit overzealous and more likely to contaminate. If you want more material you’re better off just inoculating more quart jars and skipping the grain to grain which is a risky move if sterile technique isn’t followed to a T.

I’m not suggesting this to dissuade anyone from fruiting the mushrooms, but the grain tek is an effective alternative for anyone having trouble growing them for any reason.

Edited by DonShadow, 09 July 2020 - 12:07 AM.

• Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#291 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

I don’t mean to self-promote, but the great benefit of the grain tek is that it negates the fruiting altogether and results in material that is on par with semperviva fruits, particularly when whole oats or whole barley is used and properly extracted. Alcohol extraction may increase the quality still yet. Doesn’t matter where you live; if you can find a pressure canner, make some injection port lids, obtain a clean culture (all of which you would need for fruiting anyway) then you’re good to go. IMO bags are a bit overzealous and more likely to contaminate. If you want more material you’re better off just inoculating more quart jars and skipping the grain to grain which is a risky move if sterile technique isn’t followed to a T.

I’m not suggesting this to dissuade anyone from fruiting the mushrooms, but the grain tek is an effective alternative for anyone having trouble growing them for any reason.

Hey don, can I pm you about this, I have questions and don't want to clutter up the thread here?

Your friendly neighborhood toybox

#292 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

May as well post on this thread:

https://mycotopia.ne...rain-tek/page-1

Edited by DonShadow, 09 July 2020 - 01:52 PM.

#293 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• Free Member
  • 787 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

I totally agree! I am very satisfied with the Grain TEK. I am only trying to fruit for prints to share this wonderful strain with others. Just like it was shared with me!

• DonShadow and Toybox78 like this

#294 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:09 PM

I’m glad the tek has worked well for you. I don’t think I’ll ever stop growing mushrooms personally, it’s a pleasurable and rewarding experience and it’s good to share the genetics. I’m clean out of prints myself so I’m glad that others are helping to get some more out there, hats off to ya :)
  • Asura and Jinroh like this

#295 Jrotten

Jrotten

Bedazzled and Bewildered

• Free Member
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:57 PM

So I have been doing cubes side by side with the Viva. We were without AC for 6 days and we live next door to the sun. Everything seemed to get stressed. The cubes went aerial and did something like an overlay. I’ve harvested nice fruits on the cubes, but everything on the edge of the bag. What are the chances I these viva bags are just toast? I’ve got plates out the wazoo. It feels dumb to give up, but seems naive not to put something else on the burner. Maybe just leave these until it’s time to fruit?

#296 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 427 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 AM

Found a mini mush today! This is from a 1/4 pint jar done PF tek style. After the jar colonized, it was put in a 2 cup container surrounded by bulk sub. It eventually colonized the bulk and was put into a mono tub.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200710_122441-1.jpg

• Jrotten and clumsy like this

#297 Jrotten

Jrotten

Bedazzled and Bewildered

• Free Member
  • 685 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:05 AM

How long did it take to get there?

#298 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 427 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Pretty sure it was started 4/19, went to bulk 5/18 and FC late June?

#299 Jrotten

Jrotten

Bedazzled and Bewildered

• Free Member
  • 685 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 AM

So it pinned pretty fast in the FC but it's actually a relatively old culture?

I wonder if absolute age might be more important than ideal fruiting conditions if it's not old enough...

Edited by Jrotten, Yesterday, 10:40 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!