Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

HUMMM  . interesting

#22 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:03 AM

I want to hop in on this. Waiting for my plates to germ.

• newmoon likes this

#23 newmoon

newmoon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:57 AM

I want to hop in on this. Waiting for my plates to germ.

Excellent! Judging by the other stuff you've posted, I'll bet your grow's going to be amazing. What route are you thinking you'll take with it?

#24 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

As near as I can tell, it seems like they like conditions similar to pan cyan, but a lower temp - ~75°F). Same high humidity.

And I've been told that they like a wet casing. 

Was going to try the same sub I use for pans (straw, hpoo, verm). I will try one sterile bag injected with LC for attempt 1.

Second attempt will be a traditional spawn to bulk on pasteurized sub. Then I'll see which one does better.

If any of my thinking is off, please let me know. Looks like my plates germed today. I have a few nice discrete colonies

on my plates. It's looking good.

• newmoon likes this

#25 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:57 PM

I really need to get my hoogs going. Just chiming in as a reminder to catch up later.
  • newmoon likes this

#26 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

I've found that a supplemented coir substrate performs much better than manure-based substrates. Ps. semperviva grows in coffee plantations, so adding used coffee grounds seems to make them happy. Here is the recipe that gives me beautiful flushes every time:

Supplemented Coir Substrate

Makes about 4 quart jars packed lightly.

Ingredients

• 275g dry coir

• 100ml used coffee grounds

• 100ml grain flour or bran (eg. oat, brown rice, wheat, quinoa, millet. I like oat bran best)

• 100ml clean dry sand

• 25ml gypsum

• 25ml Calcium carbonate (CaCO3)

• Approximately 1300ml Reverse osmosis water

Procedure

- Place coir in large pail and break it apart as well as you can (1-inch chunks or smaller).

- Add gypsum.

- Pour in approximately 1 litre of boiling R/O water to hydrate.

- Mix well and cover with lid for 10 mins.

- After ten minutes has passed, mix again and and break up all chunks of coir by hand.

- Add remaining ingredients and mix well by hand to soften all the lumps.

- Bring to field capacity* and load into wide-mouth jars. Pack jars by tapping the bottom of the jar lightly on a firm surface and fill right to the brim.

- Fit jars with wide-mouth metal lids, but leave the rings loose. DO NOT tighten lids, or your jars may explode. You'll tighten them once they have been sterilized.

- Place in pressure cooker and sterilize 90mins at 15PSI.

- As soon as pressure drops to zero, remove jars and tighten lids to create a vacuum seal. Use oven mitts or leather gloves and handle the jars very carefully. As long as a good seal is achieved, jars will store at room temperature indefinitely, so don't worry about making too much substrate.

*How to test for field capacity (proper soil hydration)

- Once all ingredients have been combined and mixed well, grab a good handful of soil and squeeze tightly in your fist. If the soil is properly hydrated you should see a small amount of water pooling around your fingers/knuckles when you squeeze, but it should not trickle down your hand. One or two drops is ok.

Edited by DonShadow, 04 November 2019 - 07:03 PM.

• deepblueseawhale, newmoon, Moonless and 1 other like this

#27 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

Interesting, Don. So, I am guessing the CaCO3 is to bring the pH back up to neutral from the coffee?

I will definitely add this to my sub list. I usually do several when I am growing something for the first time and

I all down to NOT mix up a bunch of poop.

The coffee bit does make me nervous, to be honest, because it's been a mold magnet in years past...but

this is sterile so I am sure I can calm my crazy self down and give it a go.

• DonShadow likes this

#28 thehawk420

thehawk420

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

Interesting, Don. So, I am guessing the CaCO3 is to bring the pH back up to neutral from the coffee?

I will definitely add this to my sub list. I usually do several when I am growing something for the first time and

I all down to NOT mix up a bunch of poop.

The coffee bit does make me nervous, to be honest, because it's been a mold magnet in years past...but

this is sterile so I am sure I can calm my crazy self down and give it a go.

They do fine via the good ole PF tek, w BRF, etc.   Pretty much anything will work, it's just that they take FOREVER to fruit and then grow in slow mo.....   But good God are they lethal!   More like LSD than Psilly.......

and PS.......If you just colonize brown rice, then dry it out, it works just the same.   FOOOOF!!!!!    =)

Edited by thehawk420, 04 November 2019 - 07:26 PM.

• DonShadow, newmoon and Asura like this

#29 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

Yep!

I’ve never had any problems with contamination with this species. It was originally named “semperviva” (long lived) due to the vigor and longevity of the mycelium. I recommend sterilizing both casing soil and substrate. As long as your grain spawn is perfectly clean and you stick to a 1:2 spawn/sub ratio and incubate at 75-77F you’re golden.

Edited by DonShadow, 04 November 2019 - 07:27 PM.

#30 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Don!

Spawn ratios noted. I'm pretty psyched for this one. 

One more question...you are sterilizing your sub...and then spawning open air? I know someone who does this

with pan cyan and bisporus, just want to clarify that you are doing that in this case.  

and PS.......If you just colonize brown rice, then dry it out, it works just the same.   FOOOOF!!!!!    =)

Haha yeah, I have read about the rice thing here. I already have four 2 lbs bags of rice growing out

with various species. Will be doing the semp that way as well  :biggrin:

• DonShadow likes this

#31 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 326 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

Spawning in open air is fine as long as you work quickly, use a 1:2 ratio and incubate between 75-77F

Edited by DonShadow, 04 November 2019 - 08:32 PM.

• Asura likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!