Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic

#401 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

Swabs seem to work pretty well with these, although prints certainly are nicer. I figure if we're all trying for prints to share with the community between us we should manage.

Whitethumb, I've germinated these on MEA without additives without issues. Maybe they're still taking their time to go?

• Jrotten and Asura like this

#402 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,095 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:56 PM

newmoon i'm convinced my prints age is the sole reason they're not germinating. i should have a print coming soon...
  • Jrotten and newmoon like this

#403 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

I tested a quick and dirty swab effort real fast with very little effort tonight. I’m curious about the general resilience and ease of just swabbing gills in a hood. Still don’t feel great so I held two of the swabs back for more prep and setup if need be. Second tray sidelpinned where I pulled the bag/liner back which is what I was hoping for when I lacked confidence in it’s desire to fruit and the middle is pinning where I scraped the sub down. I can’t be sure, but I think it’s pinning best where the substrate actually got scratched.

Also I can’t decide if this one guy is making a kissy face or doing his best “FEED ME SEYMOUR!”

Attached Thumbnails

• 5E8A5D34-7042-4D47-A903-0D3605F6D659.jpeg
  • 88F8833A-0B20-4CFD-AF48-069FEE7DE42B.jpeg

• ElPirana, Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

#404 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

Hey fellas - just an update on my Semp Mycobag-- it's colonizing very quickly.

I'm very pleased so far-- I had used these straw pellets a few months ago on my Zapotecorum efforts (which have since gone bacterial I'm afraid) and I was concerned that they were contaminated due to the consistency of those projects going bad-- but I think I was dealing with bad WBS. Since I switched to rye berries, it looks like I have eliminated the problem so far...

Thought I'd post the pics of the brown rice jars I G2G's as well :biggrin:

On that front, I've learned that Brown Rice can't be shaken out of the PC without the starches clumping/pressing it into a block-- which is why they look the way they do in the jar.

In the future if I continue to use it I will make sure it's more loosely packed into the jar before PC'ing. I'm working on putting together Blue Helix's LC lids and DIY mag stirrer so I can more easily nock things up going forward.

Attached Thumbnails

• SempBag8_25.jpg
  • SempRice18_25.jpg
  • SempRice28_25.jpg

• Jrotten, bezevo, newmoon and 4 others like this

#405 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:15 PM

I decided to pick everything except a few large pins and scratch both tubs since the casing seemed to have been an impediment to the first flush. Got another 20g wet which I bet is a helluva dose, but I’m drying them. I get pretty close 10:1 on that to cracker dry in the dehydrator. I just thought these were interesting specimens though they were smaller then what I’ve chosen for clones.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5FFC3D5C-F74F-4984-BECE-F6782F0989E6.jpeg
  • 3926956F-00E4-4F34-9545-B7799B0ED495.jpeg
  • 31EC0EA8-7F9C-4331-9AB1-5164F17D6880.jpeg

• DonShadow, newmoon, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#406 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:04 PM

If I may pose a couple questions to the room-

How long do you guys figure I should let that mycobag consolidate? It appears to be nearly 100% (externally at least).

I'm not in any rush to do anything-- but it has reminded me that I haven't fully thought out yet/decided on what method to use to grow these to fruition.

I knew I would have a few weeks to decide. Well, I should develop a plan of action and why not ask my friends here for advice :cool:

Should I

1) Keep it in the bag and when it's ready, case it in-bag, putting the whole lot in a fruiting chamber?

Or,

2) Would I be better off transferring the contents into a tray, let it re-consolidate, then case?

Or,

3) Other (please explain)

• Jrotten and Asura like this

#407 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:33 PM

I did 1 for my test grow, with one bag being broken down a bit to more to resemble a tray and reconsolidated before being opened. Either way it’s the wrong move I think because there doesn’t seem to be any benefit to the deeper sub. Also the casing layer while maybe not as critical as say for pans, you are going to want pretty uniform and consistent. You’ll mist pretty heavy at times probably so the flat level sub/casing is better than what I got out of straight bags.

I will be breaking down into trays. These are slow to fruit regardless so I wouldn’t get in a hurry to open the bags, but I wouldn’t worry at all about reconsolidation slowing things down either.

I’d go with 2, I will be going with 2 actually. I would use a liner though. Or form the bag to a tray and sort it out before colonization. Keeping the sub hydrated until it fruits is going to be the most important part I think.

Edited by Jrotten, 27 August 2020 - 09:35 PM.

• Asura likes this

#408 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:55 AM

Yeah, the Don Shadow agar wedge method! I sent two samples of pseudoaztecorum
from Texas to Canada. Had my doubts, but it worked out for the guy.

I sent some, APE, Semperviva and Lions Mane to Canada from NC using his method. All in the same envelope. It was over a month ago, and it was very hot weather so I do not know the results yet except he did receive them.

Getting the oats monday jinroh sir.

The Temps were way to high for me to begin incubating the semper viva, it's nearing two months in storage so I just hope it hasnt dried out but if it has I'll try reviving it with a h202 dip....they should be good to go however. Sorry sir I didnt anticipate the temperatures to be as bad as they were.... much better now though however so I can begin the culturing :)
  • coAsTal likes this

#409 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

Coastal, for this round I am fruiting from the bag and following CaptainFuture's methods

as much as possible. 2 bags in a monotub. 

1. He uses a mono configuration that is different from the standard. Two holes at the bottom

on the short sides and 4 holes in each corner of the lid.

2. He wraps the bag in brown packing tape. He says it gives the bags stability. And says that

it prevents side pins and blocks light (which he says really helps with fruiting). It's an old idea that

was abandoned in the cube world...but maybe it's not irrelevant in this case.

3. He mists once or twice a day, but does not fan at all. Little to no disturbance. Justs lifts the lid

carefully and mists, put the lid back on.

4. He doesn't use verm in sub or casing. I have heard it is not good for other species (zap mainly).

I will be casing with nothing but peat @ 2cm thick which is pretty thick.

Edited by Asura, 28 August 2020 - 12:46 PM.

• Jrotten, newmoon, Rac3k and 2 others like this

#410 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 685 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:08 PM

I have this little 2-cup Semp in a mono that I've only opened 3 times? No fanning, no misting just some wet perlite in the bottom, one hole low on each of the tub sides and one in the top. It is also in a room with a fan near a N. facing window. I soaked the casing last time and forgot to pour it off for a couple days. It seemed to like it. Still waiting for spores from this fruit, I'd like to make a backup print/swab for myself and eventually to share with others.

I'm glad to hear Cpt. Future (and Blue Helix) are still practicing their craft! Please thank them for their insiration and guidance. If only we could find what galaxy Waylitjim has traveled to!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200828_110441-2.jpg
  • 20200828_104812-1-1.jpg
  • 20200828_104840-1.jpg

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 28 August 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• Jrotten, newmoon, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#411 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

I can say that I did not get any sidepins on the bag that I didn’t pull back to encourage side pinning. They are very photo directional, but I’d bet $1 that the tape on the bag isn’t necessary unless you have a deep sub or lay it out sideways for support. Over 100 days and the sub formed to the bags and I have no problems grabbing them like a football to put in out of the tub. I did have the bags IN the perlite for a while in the first part of fruiting which supported them I guess, but by the time they were consolidated the coir/compost sub was rigid. My better tray though started pinning in an Unmodified tub I just adjusted with the lid cracked/open/closed.
  • Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#412 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:11 PM

Jrotten and Asura, I thank you both for the thoughtful replies.

Jrotten, I think I was originally thinking that I would tray this bag once it was ready-- but like you did, I'm thinking that I may let this one ride in the bag since it's my first try.

Once I get my LC stuff in order, and I get more opportunity to nock up bags without having to use grain, I think I will be far more inclined to get several bags going so I can experiment. (I also have a Pan Cambo Jamaican print I'm looking forward to getting to agar in a couple months when I can dedicate some more permanent space to it-- and those will definitely be bag-to-tray)

Asura, it was actually CaptainFuture himself that gifted me these magical spores, so I, too, am inclined to lean towards his method-- it was with him (and his fantastic grows) in mind that I considered the option. I have not used straight peat in the past, but I do have a bag of it (it contains those little damned Miracle Gro fert pellets, but they can be sorted out.)

(There is no verm in my Semp mixes either.)

I was going to use a cactus soil+grit (coarse sand) casing* like that in the cased grain Semp project.

I believe a large % of that soil is peat based, but if you think just straight peat is a stronger option, I will definitely consider it as a sole casing.

Speaking of my Semp cased rye tray, I thought I'd post a picture of it here as it looks now. I'm having a hard time telling if the white patches and wispy growth is typical Semp mycelial growth or something threatening-- it has no strange smell-- but here you go. Take a look up close and tell me if you think this is typical for something like this.

SempTray_8_28.jpg

I looked at the bag tonight, and it is all very well covered up except one corner (pictured). I think I just didn't mix the grain well onto that side, so I have adjusted the bag to take the weight off that section and will let it work in. I'll check it more frequently now that I've noticed it to make sure it's filling in and not buggy/stalled.

SempBag90%.jpg

*As an aside, I made this soil/grit combo for the Tamp var Galindoi quart that's looking ready to spawn in the next week or so. It's based on the Mycolorado method and his phenomenal Tamp grows)

• Jrotten, newmoon, Asura and 1 other like this

#413 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:38 PM

Are these grows documented on the other site.

Edited by Jrotten, 29 August 2020 - 10:47 PM.

#414 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:37 PM

Indeed, but they may already be present here as well-- I know many members from there are here too. Perhaps they are among them.

As I have some time I am poring through the site here, marveling at the excellent contributions. After 15 years involved with mushrooms, I formally apologize for neglecting this community for so long, and all it's wonderful contributions to the craft.

So that I return this post to the topic of Semperviva's, this is the cased grain tray tonight-- the white wispy mycelial element is growing , and though I took this pic after misting, it's fine structure seems to be present over a large part of the surface. Some of the finer network collapses when I mist, so I need to post a pic tomorrow when it's drier:

SempTray8_30.jpg

I also checked the mycobag and was relieved to see the colonization is continuing into the corner now that the pressure is off the area.

I would still like the group's advice on how long I should let the bag consolidate before initiating fruiting.

• coorsmikey and Asura like this

#415 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:23 PM

Here are a few good examples of mushrooms that are ready to print:

51544DC1-5593-4348-B1B7-C6ECE4D71F3E.jpeg 69A69E2F-0168-46EF-A1C8-4A9E5CFE6AD2.jpeg 3122E0A9-94D0-4E76-A5F6-4CFEB7839A37.jpeg

And this photo has to be upside-down for some reason...
2B055440-C31D-42DC-B7F9-2822D2242647.jpeg
  • whitethumb, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 3 others like this

#416 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

I don't mean to derail this thread (again), but as I continue work with Semperviva clones I have been blessed by members with Mexicana, Tampanesis, and Galindoi/alt#7.  For those in the know, would  these make good neighbors in the same FC as Semperviva?

#417 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:21 AM

Tampanensis will likely fruit in the same conditions, but will need more frequent misting than semperviva. Mexicana strains (Jalisco, Strain A, Chicon Nindo etc) are more finicky and seem to prefer fairly wet/humid conditions that semperviva just doesn’t tolerate. I don’t know about Galindoi, but I’m pretty sure I read a post from Alan Rockefeller saying that Galindoi is Tampanensis, though I might be out to lunch there. If I had to decide I would keep them separated so as to provide specific care to each, but who knows? Maybe they’ll get along just fine...

Edited by DonShadow, 01 September 2020 - 08:25 AM.

• Asura likes this

#418 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

Don, do Semperviva pins tolerate misting?

#419 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:22 PM

Don, do Semperviva pins tolerate misting?

Very minimal misting. If water remains on the surface they'll start to turn blue and disintegrate. Even the mature fruitbodies don't like residual surface moisture. In my experience, sempervivas respond best to heavy misting between flushes/harvests, and then the bare minimum misting required to keep the casing looking just spongey, not wet. Once pins appear and caps begin to form, the humidity of the chamber should be enough to see them through maturity, with very light misting only necessary every couple or three days.

• Asura, Jinroh, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#420 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:10 PM

I had some T1 clone plates that were transferred weeks ago and were now growing out. One came from a plate that the Semperviva had seriously outpaced what looked like a bad bacteria to start. Not sure I’ll get anywhere with it, but I just dropped wedges in bags of coir/compost/WBS/lime/gypsum. Subs were sterilized but my impulse sealer went nuts so maybe they’re all dead. Or maybe Semperviva will grow out. If they grow out they are filled to put 2” of sub in shoebox totes. The plan is to crumble and lay bags in the totes to consolidate before opening and use the tote itself as a FC

Of the original bags, the second was still producing but, I just buried it in the bone pile still fruiting It had issues. If slugs will stay back I should have conditions for outdoor fruiting. Whether they do or don’t is different. T2 plates for LC are about ready.
  • DonShadow and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!