Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic

#421 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:22 AM

I tried fruiting semperviva in a dubtub last year, but unfortunately I think I was using a non-fruiting strain. I simultaneously fruited a tray of the same culture as I normally would, and neither yielded any fruitbodies. I still think semperviva probably would fruit in a dubtub though, so I’d love to see how your attempt works out.
  • Jrotten and ElPirana like this

#422 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:07 AM

My original FC was just a 16qt tote which is one size bigger than a shoe box.  Most of my pins from my best flush started in there.  I'll get to compare second flush from the FC in the coming week or so.  It was basic: put bags in 16qt tote, backfill with perlite, add water to about 3/4, put the whole thing in a desk drawer meant for hanging files and I'd adjust the lid off/cracked/on/sealed according to my days.  Mist and fan as seemed useful.  A seedling mat was under the tote and the bags float a bit so it warmed the perlite/water rather than the bottom of the sub and that helped me keep casing temps 75-80.

I have a dream of being able to keep a semperviva grow going constantly in a way similar to a window grow of herbs.  Something very low maintenance, very compact, and since they develop over such a long period of days, keep a constant supply of fresh to be picked as needed.  I'm probably way over estimating my abilities, but I have faith in the Semperviva!  These are the T2's I selected for the LC experiments to come. But hopefully the T1 wedges will work where LC would be ideal and I'll know a little better about the resilience of Semperviva.  What a bacterial clone sample can grow into is astounding.  I'll probably fail, but I consider this "drop testing" to find out how resilient it is!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-5373.jpg

• DonShadow, newmoon, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#423 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

The resilience and longevity of the mycelium does lend itself to that method of growing, and the fresh mushrooms are amazing. One of my trays fruited for almost a year.

Was your tub modified, or did you have some ventilation holes with polyfil or...?

#424 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

I just cracked the lid, left it off, closed it, etc. totally unmodified. Being in the drawer where it’s not air tight but certainly resists air movement except for the thermal currents was a little different than just being in the open or even in a FC, but not by much.
  • DonShadow and newmoon like this

#425 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

Interesting... why did you choose to put it in a drawer, where presumably there would be no light or fresh air?

#426 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:20 PM

I've also found that these don't need much air exchange; some holes covered in medical tape seemed sufficient to get reasonably normal looking growth, and misting requirements are much reduced this way. Same with mexicana, actually.

• Jrotten, DonShadow and YoshiTrainer like this

#427 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:58 PM

Convenience and discretion. My house is under major repairs so tubs laying out is no good. But more than that, the work being done makes my grow room the only insulated room so I needed heat. The seed mat and tub fit perfectly and being my desk it was easy to adjust. I kept a cheap hygrometer in the tub so that I could get a feel for what was happening.

Light turned out to be a very important factor in fruit development, but everything else seemed fine. Once they had access to light they showed how photo directional they are.
  • DonShadow, Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#428 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:40 PM

JR, I think I missed it, but how did light turn out to be an important factor?

• Jrotten likes this

#429 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:22 PM

Do these spores( like other woodlovers) usually have an early expiration date? I received a print through trade and am on my second plate with no growth.

#430 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:12 PM

JR, I think I missed it, but how did light turn out to be an important factor?

They are “photo directional” just like cubes. But because they have a very long maturing phase it seems to be more important to me. They will bend 90 degrees then back again. I don’t believe there is any pinning advantage to lights. Just to get nice fruits that aren’t laying down or gnarly. I’ll try to find a picture where you can see a cluster that looks like it uses a larger footprint than it does, but really the fruits are maturing laterally then vertically.

Pretty neat.

Edited by Jrotten, 03 September 2020 - 06:20 PM.

• newmoon and Asura like this

#431 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 586 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:00 PM

Do these spores( like other woodlovers) usually have an early expiration date? I received a print through trade and am on my second plate with no growth.

I think that depends on how they’re stored. They’ll keep for longer if stored in the freezer. Sometimes patience pays off with old spores, or you may consider making a spore syringe and compressing the plunger to pressure rehydrate them.

Edited by DonShadow, 03 September 2020 - 09:01 PM.

#432 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:57 PM

I took some swabs as a an experiment. I left them in their wrappers for about 5 days where it was getting over 100 degrees most days. Maybe it was just poor depositing on the agar, but the spores I received from newmoon to start the grow germinated faster and in much greater numbers. Maybe that matters, maybe that doesn’t, but I definitely won’t be leaving Semperviva spores anywhere they can quickly dry out for sure.

Well the sub I buried yesterday has not been slugged yet and it has some large pins continuing to develop.  If we keep having a little rain and the temperatures follow the forecast for the next few weeks I might get a chance to see what they do in the ground.... Or the slugs will eat them like everything else!

Edited by Jrotten, 03 September 2020 - 10:27 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#433 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

Outdoor Semperviva. For now...

Attached Thumbnails

• EA9DFD51-4380-4089-BDDB-E64D2FC4D0F1.jpeg

• newmoon, ElPirana, SporeyMF and 1 other like this

#434 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:28 PM

Well gentlemen, I am very pleased to share the following with you-- my very first Semperviva pin.

First, the zoom:

SempPinZoom.jpg

And the entire tray to reveal just how tiny this little guy is (you can see it on the bottom left):

SempTrayPin_9_4.jpg

Truth is, I first detected it two days ago, but I didn't want to post without a pic.

I've been so busy with work I haven't been able to get home in time to get a pic while the lights were on in the enclosure (I have a 12.5hr cycle for my plants, and my mushroom projects share the rack space with them)

So there we go :biggrin:

I think I see some other primordia nearby, and possibly also on other sections of the tray.

• Jrotten, newmoon, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#435 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:24 PM

1 gram cracker dry. This is just crazy. The open eye visuals are just...

I think they deserve the same warnings as pans,.

WOW
  • newmoon, makinbones69, Asura and 2 others like this

#436 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:32 PM

That’s awesome coastal. They are certainly slow to emerge. It looks like you have done an amazing job!
  • coAsTal likes this

#437 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

It means a lot to hear the kind words, especially from other successful growers!

And the experience reports-- yowza! I was under the impression that Semps ranged in the 1.5 -- 2x potency per weight compared to average cubes in general.

Sounds like many people here would argue they have experienced stronger effects than that (understanding the challenge of articulating "perceived strength" without literal chemical analysis).

I looked again today, and I can now pick out no less than a half dozen little ones just starting to poke up.

I'm so delighted :)

SempPins_9_5.jpg

• peacefrog, Jrotten, DonShadow and 3 others like this

#438 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:16 PM

Coastal, when did you spawn your bulk, what sub storage did you use and how many days in fruiting before pins?

#439 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:39 AM

Jrotten, I cased the rye spawn in this container the same day I made it on 8/19- also the same day I made my mycobag with the other half quart of the rye as spawn.

So it was right at 3 weeks from then to the first pin formation.

I didn't mix any sub into the grain for this tray because I favored accelerated production, understanding that it would probably limit total dry weight of the project.

I put the tray into fruiting conditions (12.5hrs bright white w/blue LED aquarium light, ~75--77 degrees daytime, ~67 degrees night) immediately after casing, right next to my SAT cube trays.

I'm not sure what you mean about sub storage.

That mycobag is just now at 100% colonized, so I'm trying to work out if and how long to let it consolidate before cutting it open, casing it, and placing it into a FC.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#440 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

Jrotten, I cased the rye spawn in this container the same day I made it on 8/19- also the same day I made my mycobag with the other half quart of the rye as spawn.

So it was right at 3 weeks from then to the first pin formation.

I didn't mix any sub into the grain for this tray because I favored accelerated production, understanding that it would probably limit total dry weight of the project.

I put the tray into fruiting conditions (12.5hrs bright white w/blue LED aquarium light, ~75--77 degrees daytime, ~67 degrees night) immediately after casing, right next to my SAT cube trays.

I'm not sure what you mean about sub storage.

That mycobag is just now at 100% colonized, so I'm trying to work out if and how long to let it consolidate before cutting it open, casing it, and placing it into a FC.

I don't know what I meant now either, what "substrate" and autocorrect is my best guess now...  So you just cased the colonized grain itself and have pins in roughly 3 weeks after that?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!