Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

#441 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

Yup :biggrin:

• Jrotten likes this

#442 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

Well I guess you may have solved some substrate questions I had. Please measure when you harvest. I’m curious what the largest are. I have quite a bit of variability but about 2.5g wet is my largest fruit to date. I have a lot of pins coming in on a second flush in a cluster, but I expect them to be small.

It took me something like 63 days in fruiting to get pins I think!

Here’s my second flush “coming in” but it is SLOW. I’m doing nothing with it. I misted once this week. It doesn’t seem to care.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6B5C9569-7B18-4D4F-9178-0FB17B171A0D.jpeg
  • 610CFDC8-A898-4E7D-AF34-3811E40C632E.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 06 September 2020 - 11:04 AM.

• peacefrog, newmoon, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#443 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:09 AM

Cased grain is always a kind of shortcut/compromise in my view-- since it robs your grain of any moisture access that a sub like coir or verm allows it-- so I fully expect smaller fruits and low total weight out of this one.

Look at the SAT cubes I got out of the same size containers (just cased with coir) -- first flush was all dwarfs:

SempTray1a8_28.jpg

SATMidgets.jpg

The bottom tray is on it's second flush now, with some bigger fruits (well, one really big one) --

SATTray29_6.jpg

and the top one is juuust starting to pin it's second flush-- but I'm going to be lucky to get an ounce dried out of that quart of rye spawn. Not great, but it was fast and easy.

I expect far less than a half-O dried total from the Semp tray, hehe-- but again, the Mycobag is the one I hope to get better overall weight out of over time. We'll see!

• peacefrog, Jrotten, newmoon and 1 other like this

#444 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:16 AM

I think I’ve gotten maybe 10g dry tops from the Semperviva. But I have been considering something like you’re doing as a set of experiments... but I’m a shit grower lol. But basically things like a straight Rez effect harvest etc. just grain and coir, maybe verm.

The idea would be to try and work out a system where any new (or shit) grower could follow a familiar beginner method and wind up with fruits faster than what I did. Basically replace cubes for those so inclined. I’ve never actually done any of those things as all my grows have been some sort of bulk sub, but I’m wondering if limited nutrients and enough water will push Semperviva to fruit much faster than what I’ve gotten.
  • coAsTal likes this

#445 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

FWIW, if your goal is stupid-proofing, I just can't see a downside to the plain cased-grain method.

That said, if I go that route again I would definitely mix in some coir to the grain before casing it, but for fast fruits and no hassle, it's super easy.

I have had very hard times avoiding contamination in the place I'm living -- in fact I have been trying to grow for over a half year, and only this past month after dozens of agar trays and as many quart/pint jars of grain have I gotten fruit. :tinfoil:

That's why I went the hands-off route of cased grain, because the less times I was exposed to air the less chance of contamming out. So far, it's worked!

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#446 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:43 AM

I have the identical problem. We had a water leak we didn’t know about in an old house. Now I’m gutting my house in sections. Everything right now has to be done in a flow hood and I’ve started using LC and sterilized substrates and casings. When it cools off and I get more work done I hope for better chances. Winter is ideal and I grow outside lol.

My personal goal with Semperviva is to have a continuous long fruiting tray. Pluck a few fresh when needed, dry the rest for storage. But after working with them, I think they might be an easier transition from cakes to agar work/clones/etc. If you solved the slow to fruit issue then the contamination resistance they have makes them maybe the perfect fruit for personal growing.
  • coAsTal likes this

#447 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

Here are my little ones this morning:

SempTray9_7.jpg

7/23: I put the spores to agar
7/27: I nocked up a quart of rye with a pea-sized agar piece (no, I didn't wait long for the agar to develop-- it was grown out the size of a nickel when I did the transfer to grain)
8/14: Grain quart was 100% colonized, but I waited till
8/19: placed 1/2 of the quart into the above tray and cased, and 1/2 was used as spawn into my mycobag.
9/1:  First pin noticed (40 days from start)

So as of today it is ~45 days from the start of the project

Edited by coAsTal, 07 September 2020 - 01:54 PM.

• Jrotten, ElPirana, ItBeBasidia and 3 others like this

#448 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 05:28 PM

Little buggers are popping up over the upper half of the surface now as well, so I'm getting more hopeful that I might get a decent flush surface (for the basic cased-grain method I'm using on this tray, anyway).

SempTray9_8.jpg

You can see on the full size zoom that there are many nice clusters forming as well, which I'm quite tickled about.

I will get a clone splice onto agar from one or more of them when they are mature.

• Jrotten, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 2 others like this

#449 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 593 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

@coAsTal what is your fruiting chamber setup? If you already mentioned, I must’ve missed it.

Based on your cased grain timeframe, it might be possible to stagger the grows by starting half as cased grains and other half spawn to bulk sub.

#450 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

I'd be curious if the time from colonization to fruit alters the strength of the mushrooms? Like with grain tek, the longer the grains sit, the stronger they get, I wonder if there is a correlation to fruiting? Fruits from 5 month old subs vs. 1 month old subs, any difference?
  • Jinroh likes this

#451 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:01 PM

I'd be curious if the time from colonization to fruit alters the strength of the mushrooms? Like with grain tek, the longer the grains sit, the stronger they get, I wonder if there is a correlation to fruiting? Fruits from 5 month old subs vs. 1 month old subs, any difference?

I was just discussing that idea in another thread. I have seen research indicating that a slow growth span is one indicator of potency. And it makes sense to me.

After all, some of the more potent species take longer to mature than cubes, correct? I have never had the opportunity to try a magic truffle but have been told they are potent. A documentary I watched on the production of magic stones detailed the process of farm-raised and if I recall they took six months to grow to a marketable size. And that was with experienced growers and large scale operation.

[Direct Link]

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#452 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:10 PM

I’ve had the same thought and I’m curious to find out, but then there’s pans which have the shortest life cycle of any active I can think of and they are also very potent.
  • Asura likes this

#453 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:12 PM

I wonder if a slow colonizing/fruiting pan would be crippling? :)

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 09 September 2020 - 04:49 PM.

• Jrotten likes this

#454 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

I bet it depends on the person eating it!

#455 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:29 PM

Let’s get Jake some snake venom and Sempervivas!

Second flush. Going to try and make up LC of the clones. The first clone experiment is struggling along after an impulse sealer malfunction caused leaky bags that got dryish, but there is still light condensation in the bags and there is mycelium still growing. Impossible to know if any of it is contamination though. We’ll see!

Attached Thumbnails

• 72C7B09F-76D4-4FD2-B748-EC0B532D48B8.jpeg
  • EDA0FA67-EFCE-4702-8F54-AB2D080A7350.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 09 September 2020 - 05:45 PM.

• Skywatcher, clumsy, ElPirana and 3 others like this

#456 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:48 PM

UPDATE 9/9

SempTray9_9.jpg

Getting busy in there :)

(Sorry for the odd lighting, got a little too close to the plant multi-spectrum lights here)

@coAsTal what is your fruiting chamber setup? If you already mentioned, I must’ve missed it.

Based on your cased grain timeframe, it might be possible to stagger the grows by starting half as cased grains and other half spawn to bulk sub.

I didn't specifically mention it, but I what I will be using for the mycobag is the Captain Future tub design, which is just a tall tub with 4 filtered holes at the top, and two on the bottom. Simple manual misting once or twice a day. His results are the most consistently amazing I've seen across the entire shroom catalog, and since this print came from one of those very grows, I will just do it his proven way with this bag.

Speaking of my bag, I plan on initiating fruiting Friday-- the bag has been colonizing since I started the above tray-- so it's around 3 weeks as well. It looks ready to me, but there are a couple of little mycelial pockets with metabolites(?) gathered around them.

How do they look to you-- this is my first bag, so I'm hoping it's normal.

SempBag9_9.jpg

I was just discussing that idea in another thread. I have seen research indicating that a slow growth span is one indicator of potency. And it makes sense to me.

After all, some of the more potent species take longer to mature than cubes, correct? I have never had the opportunity to try a magic truffle but have been told they are potent. A documentary I watched on the production of magic stones detailed the process of farm-raised and if I recall they took six months to grow to a marketable size. And that was with experienced growers and large scale operation.

Atl#7_8_30.jpg

Will advise ;)

• ElPirana, makinbones69, Jinroh and 1 other like this

#457 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:06 PM

@ Coastal, what is the casing and how deep is it? Is it literally just grain in a tray with a casing layer on top like any bulk sub?

Semperviva myc can get pretty gnarly looking. That deep almost chocolate brown and heavy bruising both appeared on my second bag. The bag lived a long time and fruited, but it was not as prolific as the above photos. Doesn’t mean anything except that was my observation. Many things could account for the poor fruiting of that bag. Semperviva in general will visibly show stress and keep growing. I saw that a lot when I did dumb things.

Edited by Jrotten, 10 September 2020 - 12:21 AM.

• Asura likes this

#458 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:24 AM

JR, I am still in this, it's all just moving so slowly...or maybe I am stuck in pan cyan time...I don't know.

I have 2 jars of your stuff that I put down on 8/21 that are finally starting to move and I just did T1

transfers from a print I got from CaptainFuture. 

Hope to join you and coastal soon.

• Jrotten and Jinroh like this

#459 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:49 PM

JR, I am still in this, it's all just moving so slowly...or maybe I am stuck in pan cyan time...I don't know.

I have 2 jars of your stuff that I put down on 8/21 that are finally starting to move and I just did T1

transfers from a print I got from CaptainFuture. 

Hope to join you and coastal soon.

Nice!  Did they take 3 weeks to colonize, or that's from spore? I just put 3 clones to LC and one to grain.  Looks like the weather says it's time to put your Cambo print on agar.  Coastal seems to be making a case for limited nutrition which I have yet to figure out, but hopefully clones in LC lets me figure out a reasonable experiment for a few ways to test that.

#460 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:38 PM

I know CaptainFuture is using low amounts of nutrition. Each of my jars has 1/3 quarts of spawn (125g) and I will

use each jar to inoculate 3.5 quarts of substrate. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!