Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

#461 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

my semperviva was fast in every phase of growing except fruiting. just as fast as any pans i've seen on agar, on grain and sub too. fruiting was a different story as far as speed.
  • Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#462 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 928 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

CaptainFuture uses garden compost and coir?

#463 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

@ Coastal, what is the casing and how deep is it? Is it literally just grain in a tray with a casing layer on top like any bulk sub?

Semperviva myc can get pretty gnarly looking. That deep almost chocolate brown and heavy bruising both appeared on my second bag. The bag lived a long time and fruited, but it was not as prolific as the above photos. Doesn’t mean anything except that was my observation. Many things could account for the poor fruiting of that bag. Semperviva in general will visibly show stress and keep growing. I saw that a lot when I did dumb things.

Yes, the tray I am showing is nothing but colonized rye berries, and between ~1/8" to ~1/4" casing (closer to 1/8") comprised of ~50/50 mix of granite chick grit and finely screened cactus soil that I pasteurized together.

And I am sorry if I confused anything with the jar I pictured in the earlier post with the stones-- that is actually a Tamp. var ATL#7 that I have waiting to be harvested for stones someday-- I just posted it in response to Jinroh's mention of slow growth = higher alks because the same theory is often debated in stones.

FWIW, that idea makes sense to me too, as especially slow growing species might use a higher built-in defense against predation by animals because they are simply vulnerable much longer above-ground prior to spore release.

It's logical that they might have a higher alk content than the ones that grow fast like weeds might, because one hungry rodent could eradicate an entire colony for yards if it weren't left starstruck after a square foot of eating or so, unable to figure out why it's suddenly pondering Fermat's Last Theorem, what with being a rodent and all.

and @Jrotten, please allow me to quote the master himself in a snippet I saved for my personal reference:

CaptainFuture said:(5/29/20)

I am using a little different sub on all grows now, mostly like before but with some added Green compost. So its like Straw pellets 35%, straw bits (cutted) 35%, Green Compost 20% and Horse Manure pellets 10%

• Jrotten, Asura, Jinroh and 1 other like this

#464 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

It looks like the gills are starting to darken up. Opinions about how to proceed with printing or swabbing? Wait longer and let them go full gnarly? Swabs vs prints?

Attached Thumbnails

• 7DC1DD30-2F14-4E12-BFC4-A4076BDEC16C.jpeg
  • 22C5549C-1DDB-4F27-91BB-3676CBF93305.jpeg
  • 5F0EA137-380B-4344-8815-C3E6A335BE74.jpeg

• ElPirana, makinbones69 and ItBeBasidia like this

#465 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:37 PM

@Jrotten, I'm no expert but those look like they're packing spores to me-- you could scrape the gills of one with a white swab to check, but I would think they're close, if not ready now.

Quick pic update this afternoon:

SempTray9_11.jpg

• Jrotten, ItBeBasidia and Asura like this

#466 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

Based upon the photos Don posted regarding when to print, I'd say wait another day. The 1 print I tried to make looked similar and made a very light print and light swabs too. Maybe wait until you see spores dropping? Fortunately for you, you've got a few to experiment with.
  • Jrotten likes this

#467 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

Coastal, you’re going to have something like a canopy if you let them go to full maturity I bet. That tray looks better every time I see it!

@yoshi, yeah I did a swab test with the first flush and I got very light swabs that streaked VERY thinly. I might have tossed the plate on accident, but I could pick individual colonies off a single germ plate as it grew out. They are deceiving spore makers for sure.
  • YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#468 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:55 PM

Those look amazing JR! I’d say they’re ready to print. Could do a test print first, then print the rest. A couple of days won’t hurt em.

Coastal... great looking tray, looks like you nailed it!
  • Jrotten and coAsTal like this

#469 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

they're definitely ready to print. only way to get solid thick prints is to print for 48 hours. just make sure the cap doesn't dry out.
  • peacefrog, Jrotten and DonShadow like this

#470 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

Looking pretty happy to me--

tonight's update:

SempTray9_12.jpg

:wub:

• Jrotten, DonShadow, ElPirana and 4 others like this

#471 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:24 AM

Awesome fruits!

They fruit in slow motion right?

My experience with them taught me a bunch. When I first grew them, I tried to print too early and I got nothing. Personally, I wait until I see visible spores on the caps whether they have curled up, brown gills, etc before printing. Works for me anyway. I have seen them look like this before with no spores being dropped:
D5862568-F16C-4F1E-A42B-DAE9945670B7.jpeg

That one did not drop any spores at all.

But these sure did:
3A369642-1571-4519-AB8A-296EA23CA13C.jpeg

Just my thoughts on this wonderful species. Good grows and good vibes thrown to all.
  • whitethumb, Coopdog, Jrotten and 6 others like this

#472 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 928 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

Tangential comment follows: I’m hand sanding a new oak floor where I used lower grade material intentionally for all the extra mismatching and graining... I’ve considered 5g fresh every other board! Ha!
  • coAsTal likes this

#473 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

My tray is starting to look noticeably bigger to me every evening-- yeah, they're slow-- but consistently increasing in size one day after another.

SempTray9_13.jpg

I look so forward to coming home from work every night to see how they have grown--

• Jrotten, DonShadow, ElPirana and 4 others like this

#474 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 928 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

How much of the surface that’s either pinning or has primordia is what I find especially awesome about that tray. That and the ridiculous turn around time after casing. I think that will be one of the prettiest trays of Semperviva I’ve ever seen when it’s done.

I did one jar of lazy man’s WBS to test the method or something like it with a clone. Then I made 4 LC’s and really wished I had 4 stir plates instead of 1! I’m happy to report that the grain prep seems to have worked just fine and the wedges have all grabbed the grain so sometime in the next 6 weeks to a year I might know more!

I think the fruits on this flush have been developing more than two weeks. I’m going to try and prep for taking prints in the morning. There are two distinct problems I have: I’ve really ever only taken one and these happen to be hard to print. I’ll probably just try for a few prints and swabs to keep it as easy as possible.
  • makinbones69, YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#475 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:42 PM

My tray is starting to look noticeably bigger to me every evening-- yeah, they're slow-- but consistently increasing in size one day after another.

That looks like it’ll be a nice flush!
  • Jrotten and coAsTal like this

#476 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

Thanks brother-- again I return thanks to you and this community for being such a friendly and helpful crowd.

Re: the tray, I have to admit I'm blown away at the pinning so far. When I decided to go this route it was sincerely just to try and get a dry gram or two of accelerated fruits... I didn't expect it to look this solid at all-- I expected very little.

My enthusiasm for how this will look in the end is a bit tempered by the micro-sized cubes I got from the same method that just finished the second flushes last week-- so I'm a little paranoid that these Semps will end up halting their growth after they hit 2 inches (actually, a couple of them are that tall already) or something near it and just freeze there-- but, even if they end up small, they're still the real thing, and I'll be very, very proud. :biggrin:

On another note, I was unable to case and begin fruiting my Semp mycobag this past week as originally planned-- I've been far busier than I anticipated--so it continues to peacefully consolidate in the bag.

I hope to revisit the project this Thursday or so when I should have a little time to do it right-- and after all, extra consolidation in the bag shouldn't do anything but cause it to spring to life all the more vibrantly once freed of it's substrate bonds :cool:

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#477 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 928 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:52 PM

2-3” tall, just over 1” cap, and 3.5g wet is the largest I’ve gotten so far that are measured and the taller one wasn’t the heaviest one. 7g wet is not threshold. 10g wet idk, but 1g dry I would start using Lucy as my personal comparison and I’d call it 250ug.

I have no clue what’s big or small for everyone else. But this is roughly 1 part WBS spawn to 3 parts 35/35/10/10/10 by volume of compost/coor/lime/gypsum/verm.

It sounds like size will be the same, that just leaves number of flushes and potency for variables. I’m really more interested in your grow right now than mine! Thanks for the updates!
  • coAsTal likes this

#478 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

Well I think my prediction on this tray keeping the fruit size pretty limited is panning out-- some of the bigger ones have opened now-- so I would presume that they don't have a lot of length to add-- but I could surely be wrong.

One variable that I should note is that these are covered with a clear plastic dome most of the day, with small gaps present that allow some minor gas exchange, and then I open them morning and night to replace the air within when I irrigate. Don't know if this would contribute to the stunted size or not, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Here's the daily top-down,

SempTray9_14.jpg

and a bonus close-up :biggrin:

SempClose9_14.jpg

• Jrotten, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 3 others like this

#479 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 805 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:43 PM

Man those look so cool. I'm obsessed with their features. That cap man wtf. I try to just follow this and learn but those look very cool. Nice coastal !

#480 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:24 PM

They'll lengthen quite a bit.  You can give those another week  probably.  Height is one of the last things to max out I think.  I'm not sure if development will be sped up in your grow or not, but they do things their own way!

So everyone was right and my second flush was loaded with spores.  I'm attempting to print, but trying to print these gnarled up things as a first time printing and in a rush on lightweight foil probably means they will drop spores and I'll screw it up.  I used a syringe filter to add a drop of water to each cap per Whitethumb's instructions to not let them dry out and  I'm going to leave them alone until tomorrow to see if they need another drop.  I'm going 48 hours per his recommendations. 

As pretty as this flush was it was only 28g wet minus 6 large caps that I'm trying to print. That's 3-4 open eyed visual trips.  That's actually a lot for me so I'm not disappointed, but I would like to have better pinsets and canopies in the future.  I have 3 clone LC's that all seem to be coming along well despite the fact I have to alternate them on the stir plate.  The clone grain jar seems to be going quite quickly and I'm shocked to report that the leaking bags from the T1 clone experiments are actually colonizing.  They dried out in the incubator, but since I have a big ol' fruiting chamber with 100% humidity and one little bag of Semperviva I have been alternating bags in there and they seem to be hydrating enough to keep going though it may be asking too much for them to ever actually finish.  They are persistent little saints though so who knows!

Edited by Jrotten, 15 September 2020 - 12:42 AM.

• whitethumb, DonShadow, Asura and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!