Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
545 replies to this topic

#481 Arch3type

Arch3type

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:24 PM

So happy to hop on this. Print from Captain F. Was growing these by myself and new to exotics. This thread has been so helpful. Thank you all. Hoping since I'm a noob who has been somewhat successful others will try it. I did cubes for a year. My first year and now moving on in my 2nd year. I currently have Hoog. semp pins popping up, so hoping I can seal the deal and get some healthy fruits.20200914_235436.jpg
  • Jrotten, ElPirana, ItBeBasidia and 2 others like this

#482 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:23 PM

Howdy!  What sub did you use and how long roughly did each stage take as far as total age and time from casing to pins?  

#483 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:23 PM

They'll lengthen quite a bit.  You can give those another week  probably.  Height is one of the last things to max out I think.  I'm not sure if development will be sped up in your grow or not, but they do things their own way!

Thanks for the advice-- as always.

I'll share a little secret with the group--

This Saturday, barring divine intervention, I will be in a very rare position to expand my mind in very special ways.

And it will almost surely be the only day I'll have available to do so for months-- due to privacy circumstances... so I've been watching the progress of both these Semperviva's and my Tampanensis var. Galindoi grow very closely. (I have plenty of those SAT cubes already dried but I really don't want to use them if I can experience one of the others)

While I think the Galindoi project has already produced the weight needed for a solid time, my goodness I want to try these so much! But if they're not far along enough to do so properly, then I will evaluate the Tamp option instead.

So please send some good vibes towards my tray that the larger more developed ones keep putting some meat on their bones this week so I can get some of these larger ones put together to make 10g wet for this weekend (without having to poach pins, which I won't do) and beat out my Tamps to the prize :meditate:

Tonight's pic:

SempTray9_15.jpg

• Jrotten, ElPirana, ItBeBasidia and 2 others like this

#484 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:36 PM

This is what I did.  I had 4 early fruits that totalled 7 wet grams and what I thought was going to be threshold most definitely was not.  One thing Semperviva have done both times 7g wet and 1g cracker dry is within 10 minutes I can feel the beginning of the come up.  It's difficult to describe exactly but it goes on for probably 45 minutes and then quickly goes WHAMO and then has a very quick fade, though 1g dry kept me up all night.  Very much like a bell curve

• ElPirana, Asura, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#485 Arch3type

Arch3type

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:10 PM

I did agar wedge to whole organic oats, to horse poo/straw. Cased with verm, peat moss, hydrated lime, and gypsum. It was well overdue in the jars when I bulked it. The mycelium was climbing up the jars a good bit, and was a little brownish if I remember correctly, but everything smelled fine. I bulked it on 8-18-20. Then cased like 7-8 days later. I first saw white pins on 9-10-20. I should have probably used different ingredients, but it was all I had to work with. I have two tubs pinning at the moment. 20200915_224714.jpg
  • ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#486 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:05 PM

Just a pretty cluster during harvest yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails

• E54A6F32-0634-4FE8-A16E-A84C43AF87FC.jpeg

• ElPirana, DrepsiLocybe, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#487 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

coAsTaL, worse case, use all the Semps you'd like and supplement with Galindoi as needed. You might find a new favorite blend? :)
  • Asura likes this

#488 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

I definitely could try that -- but with never having enjoyed either of them alone, I would personally feel like I was making two stars "share the stage" so to speak-- and while musical duets can be spellbinding (and I'm SURE this one would be) I really feel strongly about first giving each one their own time to perform as only they can by themselves :biggrin:

• Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#489 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:06 PM

Based on the amount of Semp you have, not a true duet, more like Galindoi lending vocals for the chorus of Semp's song. :) I totally get what you are saying though, your recent 3 capsule mix sounds intriguing but I'd like to try them individually too. Whatever the moment allows for.

Good luck and safe travels! :)
  • coAsTal likes this

#490 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:47 PM

Well I now get to see how hardy these Semps are under duress-- I just dropped the goddamned tray upside down as I was preparing to water it and take a pic tonight-- the lid was still on, but it definitely slammed the entire sub up against the top.

:mad: :tinfoil:

Had at least one casualty pin (you can see it in the bottom middle area uprooted)

SempTray9_16.jpg

#491 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 879 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:51 PM

I bet they are fine. They’ll show you if you stressed them. I accidentally left them in my flow hood for an hour or more, I don’t recall now, but it was much more than the intended few minutes and it was near 100F degrees in the space where my hood is. I came back and they were dry and bruised badly. They never missed a beat and when they grew out the stipes were white where they had newly grown. Then they went their normal dark brown. I also split a pin with a scalpel trying to do a clean harvest of another fruit. Turns out Semperviva are really tough stems and my scalpel was dull! It grew out just fine over a week or two with half it’s cap missing!

I don’t know if it’s just the speed of Semperviva or if it’s the speed of a clone on familiar substrate but this grain jar is being colonized quickly and being shaken several times early seems to have not slowed it down at all but let it speed up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 572B99BC-DA4A-448C-8B4D-527DECD8E9DA.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 16 September 2020 - 08:54 PM.

• ElPirana, Asura and coAsTal like this

#492 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:18 AM

48 hours, they did get dry by the end. A more thought out and methodical protocol is needed... or maybe just read a tek... whatever! These are the best three prints. The flash gave them that red look and makes them look much heavier than they are. 9 caps, 8 prints, took more swabs for myself as they were still quite heavy with spores. These aren’t worth sharing, but I’ll probably experiment with them. I do have better swabs in the VIP for free. Message me if you’d like 2 (they are bundled two to a pack). Any takers should plan on transfers just to be safe. I wouldn’t trust just dropping the swab on grain.

Attached Thumbnails

• 29A20EEB-9FAB-4294-B121-04A306331BEB.jpeg
  • 6E8F26F6-FE62-4118-8520-B34DFA5A7CD2.jpeg
  • 8390CC52-7509-4389-A4B4-20B99C3ADD5A.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 17 September 2020 - 12:20 AM.

• DonShadow, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#493 Arch3type

Arch3type

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

Congrats on getting some prints! Those will make some people's day for sure.
  • Jrotten likes this

#494 Arch3type

Arch3type

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:12 AM

20200917_120853.jpg

7 days since first noticing pins.
  • ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#495 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:20 AM

OK, time to switch gears to my mycobag.

Put it into fruiting today--

SempBagFC9_17.jpg

Here's a better pic of the casing. It's pretty much the same as the one in the small tray, with the addition of larger granite gravel (chicken grit), as I ran out of the tiny stuff (called chick grit). So it's 50% pasteurized cactus soil, and the remainder an even mix of smaller coarse grit/small gravel-- I wouldn't expect it will make a big impact on the surface conditions.

SempBagCasing9_17.jpg

It's in a simple FC based on the CaptainFuture design, with micropore tape replacing the polyfill in the holes at the bottom.

Gave the casing a good wet misting after laying it in. It is a little deeper than the tray I did- probably between 3/8" and 1/2" deep-- I wanted to make sure I didn't lose too much moisture because this is an open chamber design with a lot more air to evap into.

• Jrotten, Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#496 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

Nice, remind me what the sub is?

Interesting observation: when I harvested with scissors it looked like I got a few doubles off the stumps, but I can’t state that as fact because I didn’t record any of it, just sort of a “isn’t this what happened?” feeling. Anyway since some are very strongly attached to the substrate and some are not I just decided to try cutting the harvest as close to the casing as possible this time 100%. Either I have mass fungal contamination suddenly, or the stumps went right into vegetative growth within 2 days. I have no idea what if any effect that might have on future flushes, but it definitely seems to prove that Semperviva was the right name.

Another fun fact. Semperviva is possibly at least as fast and probably faster than pans in LC. I qualified that statement heavily because I honestly am only good at growing panaeolous mycelium at this point and I am awful at fruiting, but I have both started on the same day, all are doing well, but the Semperviva are ahead. Too many variables to say for certain, but if experimenting is a goal, LC seems like a very viable and efficient way to go about it with this species.

Here is the stumps veging out

Attached Thumbnails

• 5DBA92BD-8D88-46A1-AC25-CC1B42B8E2D2.jpeg
  • 63D7CD7D-A632-407E-96C8-42C15FD3C096.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 17 September 2020 - 11:39 AM.

• makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#497 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:42 AM

The sub is

~a pint of colonized rye,

~65% re-hydrated straw pellets,

~20% h-poo, and

~15% coir.

• Jrotten likes this

#498 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,076 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:04 PM

jrotten those prints definitely look better then 24 hour prints. i'm guessing because they're such slow fruiters that maybe they're slow sporulaters too. pure speculation on my part.
  • Jrotten likes this

#499 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:39 PM

I really feel like I'm more the problem than the spores were this time.  I just flew by the seat of my pants honestly.  The spores were there, they just didn't drop fully.  I think if I had misted the inside of the tub I used in addition to the drops of water that would have been wise.  It's pretty dry here.  Either timing the spores or figuring out how to keep them moist long enough to get really dark prints seems to be the ticket.  I'd be happy to send out the prints if anyone wants them, but compared to what people have sent me, this looks like a toddler printed them!  :laugh:

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#500 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

Light prints make mycelium too brother-- so don't be too hard on yourself. You're doing a wonderful thing to offer people the chance to share in this amazing mushroom-- and in the end, it only takes 2 spores to start a culture.

if you can see anything there, all it takes is a single scrape with a hobby knife to collect potentially dozens for agar.

:cool:

• Jrotten, DonShadow and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!