Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
789 replies to this topic

#761 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

Definitely! It's funny how so many psychedelic lessons end up being variants of "live authentically and be good to other people and the earth", but it's pretty hard to argue with the way the moral arrives :tongue:

• coorsmikey, Asura, Jinroh and 2 others like this

#762 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:50 PM

How does the experience compare to cubes or pans. More one way or the other. I’ve heard so many good things I can’t wait to try it. I got one T10 filter bag I’m trying to fruit the whole thing in vitro like cap’n futures YouTube video. Then a couple quarts around 90%. This new culture I got going is so so much better than the last I’m amazed at the speed and vigor of it. Even on bulk it’s just ripping through everything. The last culture I had a lot of problems like you were having JR. stalling and stopping or never even starting. This new culture gives me a whole new outlook on semperviva

Also the first culture I was using was basically three seemily isolates I took from the spore plate(not a lot of germination) and this new one I took a much wider array of different looking colonies.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 10 January 2021 - 08:53 PM.

• Jrotten, Asura and coAsTal like this

#763 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:10 AM

3g of semperviva is a serious dose of mushrooms. That takes some courage! Nice job Newmoon, and thanks for sharing your experience :)

Edited by DonShadow, 11 January 2021 - 01:10 AM.

#764 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:37 AM

In my limited experience with Semperviva and nowhere near 3g dry I would say it is quantitatively different than cubes. Even .7g wet of Semperviva was open eyed geometry, very bright as as I’ve remarked before it felt “serious” at least early on. Semperviva felt like it had a spirit that cubensis has never evoked even at massive doses like 14g.

Semperviva felt perhaps more “focused” in every aspect which in comparison I would use the word “dull” regarding cubensis, not that the cubensis felt full in the moment.

I can’t speak to pans because my experience is very limited to dwarf cambos and hesitant dosing because of the dwarves.

#765 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:19 PM

Semperviva and cubensis don't feel very similar to me. I haven't tried any panaeolus species yet, so I don't know about those. To me, tampanensis and mexicana fruits are in the same direction as cubensis but better (less mental cloudiness, gentler on the body, with more vivid visions), but semperviva feels like something different.

I imagine this might vary from person to person, though. I intend to keep eating mexicana and semperviva (and others as I manage to grow them), but I don't anticipate eating cubensis again.

• clumsy, Asura, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#766 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:07 PM

So it’s probably more similar to panaeolus then. Or at least that’s what that description kinda reminds me of. With pans I got no lethargy, not really any body buzz at all and visuals no matter what your eyes are doing.
  • coAsTal likes this

#767 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:13 PM

With pans some dude walked up out of a jungle in my living room floor and told me to grow God's veggies lol.

Just full on visionary type stuff.

• coorsmikey, Jrotten, bezevo and 3 others like this

#768 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

That’s beautiful asura. A true sign.. a calling... a duty to mankind

A8797635-83E3-490E-9366-2E2A3E7AEE37.jpeg day 4 2lb:2.5lb straw/horse manure/coir/verm/coffee grounds. I have it in a T10 unicorn bag with the top just folded and food clipped. I’m thinking since semperviva doesn’t care too much about FAE just fruiting the whole thing just like it is.image.jpg

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 11 January 2021 - 08:17 PM.

• Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#769 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:06 PM

Ahhh, well I meant to ask, is that the level of tripping we are talking about with semperviva? Just full on reality displacement type experience?

#770 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

On new year's eve I ate 3g of dried semperviva; it felt extremely therapeutic and I learned some important personal lessons (my therapist agrees!), and holy god was it a rough ride. Be careful and have a sitter if you're eating more than a little bit of this one, friends!

I got a light print off of one of my cake grows, so I've swiped those spores to new plates for my next round. They've germinated quickly. I think I'm going to do some monotubs this time.

Congrats!

I am not growing anything right now due to some home renovation in my grow area (as I have mentioned) but I am hoping to get this critter to fruit eventually. I have tried several times and it is frustrating. I would like to experience the dried fruit. So far all I have been able to try is the grain so I do not know if there is a difference in the experience. However, I have had a few very powerful experiences with the grain. Last week I had my first sample from a tincture made from three pounds of the grain and 200 proof extractohol. I sipped it straight and it was too unpalatable on its own so I made a "boiler-maker" using only half of a beer and downed it quick. I only used half a shot glass to er on the side of caution. It hit within ten minutes, much harder than tea and much more intense in the first 30 minutes, but did not last as long as a tea for some reason. I would compare it to the experience that I had with 6 to 8 Tbs of grain in tea. I resealed the tincture. I am going to let it go for another month and try it again. I wish I had the experience of the dried fruit so I could document the equivilant potency of the grain. Of course that may not be possible due to all the variables involved. Not to mention that I am sure it is all subjective and different for each grow and the individuals biology and matabolism.

• coorsmikey, DonShadow, newmoon and 1 other like this

#771 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 762 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

That sounds like some pretty potent tincture! Do you agitate your solution during the soak?

I wonder if you could soak a pound of your grain in 200 proof for a time, filter it off, add to a fresh pound of your grain and repeat? Eventually getting it to dropper strength?

I'd be curious if fresh grain would be different than dried for extraction?
  • Jinroh likes this

#772 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:33 PM

I was just meaning like cubes is like a whole different drug from pans. To me there really nothing alike other than there both psychedelics. I was just meaning would you compare semp more to an intense cube trip or how pans are or are they just there own thing kinda like mexicana. Either way hopefully I’ll be able to just see for myself soon.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 12 January 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#773 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

That sounds like some pretty potent tincture! Do you agitate your solution during the soak?

I wonder if you could soak a pound of your grain in 200 proof for a time, filter it off, add to a fresh pound of your grain and repeat? Eventually getting it to dropper strength?

I'd be curious if fresh grain would be different than dried for extraction?

Yes, I used a large 1 gallon pickle jar with heavy duty shrink wrap around the lid to ensure a good seal and flipped the jar upside down every few weeks. A perfect seal is crucial since 200 proof will evaporate and also absorb moisture from the environment like crazy. My goal for a "magic" tincture is to keep as much water out of it as possible since we all know water is not good in this instance like it would be say for a dual extraction tincture of chaga or lions mane where you soak in alcohol and then water and combine the two liquids at the end so you get all the solubles. I am sure you could reuse the liquid with another batch of grain if you had the patience and kept it sealed really well. That idea makes me wonder how much of the alkaloid can be suspended in the liquid before no more can be extracted? That would be an interesting long term experiment. Although I am unsure how it could be verified without a lab and a chemist's education.

To be honest, fresh grain is really gross, I mean the idea of consuming it creeps me out but that is just me.

As far as potency from fresh grain compared to dried, I assume it would be the same difference as dried fruits compared to fresh. But that is just my thought process. My goal is to pack as much material in jar as I can and still have it completely covered with no air available left in the jar. Dried grain takes up less space so you get more grain in the jar than fresh. Whether one is more potent then the other I do not know for sure. But I do know that all the dried fruit bodies that I have had were more potent by weight than fresh. Again, that is just my experience. Also I will add that I have never had Pans so I do not know how to compare those. 

Edited by Jinroh, 12 January 2021 - 05:46 PM.

• newmoon and YoshiTrainer like this

#774 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 762 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:17 PM

Thank you for your experments and the care you are taking w/them.

I was curious about fresh vs. dried, esp. w/this Sp. I think it was Cpt Future that was reminded how good they were fresh, comparing them to Semilanceata. On another post someone was begging for another member (PeaceFrog?) to try them fresh, making it seem there was a noticeable difference?

I've also wondered about adding citric acid to the 200 proof. Sort of lemon tek meets alcohol extraction. Might make extraction easier or more "complete"?

I need to get some new grains of my own going!
  • newmoon and Jinroh like this

#775 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:41 PM

Asura, yes, totally. I was quite surprised to find myself a person in this reality again.

I'm also very curious to hear how similar the experience is with mycelium on grain vs. fruits. I find sclerotia and fruits of the same species in sect. mexicana to feel pretty different; I wonder if there's some parallel here?

• Asura, Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

#776 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:31 PM

Thank you for your experments and the care you are taking w/them.

I was curious about fresh vs. dried, esp. w/this Sp. I think it was Cpt Future that was reminded how good they were fresh, comparing them to Semilanceata. On another post someone was begging for another member (PeaceFrog?) to try them fresh, making it seem there was a noticeable difference?

I've also wondered about adding citric acid to the 200 proof. Sort of lemon tek meets alcohol extraction. Might make extraction easier or more "complete"?

I need to get some new grains of my own going!

I know citric acid works well in tea. No reason not to give it a try!

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#777 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:47 PM

So my direct inoculation that I wasn’t happy about has steadily started to reconsolidate by being left open. It is partially cased with a dusting of peat/sand/verm. And it seems to like it. I’m having. Trouble keeping temperatures up right joe since it’s getting into the Hugh 30F’s where the FC is. Casings are consistently measuring 69F but air temp is coming in around 73-76F. I’m considering adding a heat bulb to the lower section of the FC where all the equipment lives, not wher the actual fruiting takes place. I feel like I might be able to get the air temp up a bit warmer, the water reservoir is consistently 78F from the heater but I think the bulb may be the missing link.

#778 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:22 AM

I haven’t noticed much, if any difference between the fruits and the mycelium, aside from the rapid onset of liquid vs fruit. The mycelium has all the power of the fruits. The fresh fruits are the best though.
  • clumsy, Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

#779 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:16 AM

I haven’t noticed much, if any difference between the fruits and the mycelium, aside from the rapid onset of liquid vs fruit. The mycelium has all the power of the fruits. The fresh fruits are the best though.

Once my new grow area is finished, I will start my fruiting efforts again except on a larger scale so I can increase my chances of success. I have so much dried colonized grain in storage now I won't need to grow more for at least a year.

#780 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

Look what's popped up in my dunked and re-cased semp bag... :cool:

SempBag_1_15.jpg

Also, there are now a couple dozen side pins as well!

Edited by coAsTal, 15 January 2021 - 08:05 PM.

• Jrotten, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!