Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
1018 replies to this topic

#881 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:46 PM

Have you looked at the method for obtaining crystals using acetic acid?  My thinking is that maybe you could go down that path and then rather than forming the full crystal, cut it with ethanol so that you get the preservative effects of alcohol.  I did a tincture with cubes and found that it just took too long and that something seemed incomplete in the extraction, where as 15 minutes in hot water with ascorbic acid gives almost full extraction in a more dilute form than would be useful for tincture.

• Jinroh likes this

#882 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:59 PM

Nice to see you around again Jinroh-- we look forward to your grows as well brother, and I know I'm grateful for your extraction efforts.

I harvested the second flush of my mycobag last night:

SempBag2ndFlush3_4.jpg

There were about a half dozen bigger ones that I used for a mini-dose earlier in the week that aren't in the final pic here, but I can say this second flush total was definitely around the same total weight as the first-- maybe even a touch heavier. (I've actually not been keeping track of the wet/dry weights of the semps for some reason)

In preparation for this (which I anticipate being the final) third flush I decided a full 24 hour soak would be awesome-- my first flush (the one that really kicked off the growth) I submersed for a few hours-- the second soak was only for about an hour or two, so this time I really wanted to see how long-term does, knowing I probably won't go past round three in anticipation of using the FC for Ps. Aucklandiae bags I have colonizing right now.

I just poured distilled water into the bag up to the lip inside a shoebox and put a mason ring on top so when I closed the lid it was fully submerged to the bottom of the casing. Let's see if it can impress with a 3rd big flush!

• ElPirana, Jinroh, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#883 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:06 PM

Nice coAsTaL! If you wanted, after the 3rd flush, drop it in a dub or something and watch it continue to fruit with little effort from you.

Thank you for the update Jinroh.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 05 March 2021 - 08:07 PM.

• Jinroh likes this

#884 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:09 PM

Have you looked at the method for obtaining crystals using acetic acid?  My thinking is that maybe you could go down that path and then rather than forming the full crystal, cut it with ethanol so that you get the preservative effects of alcohol.  I did a tincture with cubes and found that it just took too long and that something seemed incomplete in the extraction, where as 15 minutes in hot water with ascorbic acid gives almost full extraction in a more dilute form than would be useful for tincture.

That seems like a very worthwhile experiment. I gave up on trying to keep the crystals "crystalized." They seemed so unstable and always ended up dissolving fairly quickly once formed. Keep in mind I used the vacuum 200 proof method of crystallization so they were already in alcohol. I must be doing something wrong during the final stage. I don't think I lost potency in the crystals once they dissolved though because the slurry that was left seemed to be very potent. I could never achieve and actual dry crystal that could be encapsulated for an exact dosage. Even when using high vacuum I ended up with crystals suspended in a nasty syrup which liquified once removed from the vacuum chamber. At this point I will be happy with the tincture as long as the potency is stable over time. Only time will tell (pun intended).  

• coorsmikey and YoshiTrainer like this

#885 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:11 PM

I may keep it around for awhile-- just don't have a ton of space and I have my clone culture of the big fruit from the 1st flush all ready to start another bag, just have to decide when I want to start it-- that'll still be a couple weeks away, this flush took awhile to come in so I'm sure the third will too :cool:

• Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

#886 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:12 PM

Just going by what was posted, but here it is

The extraction protocol [2] used 2 to 10 grams of pulverized mushrooms, the powder mixed with 100 mL of dilute acetic acid in a beaker and titrated to pH 4 with concentrated (glacial) acetic acid. After this mixture incubated for 1 hour, it was put in a boiling water bath for 8 to 10 minutes or until the solution tested at 70°C. This heating step dephosphorylated psilocybin to psilocin. The acid mixture was separated from the raffinate, brought to pH 8 with ammonium hydroxide, and extracted with two 50-mL aliquots of diethyl ether. The OChem foxtrot continued as the ether was dried over sodium sulfate, producing a greenish, psilocin precipitate that could be crystallized to a white powder using a 1:3 ratio of chloroform to heptane.

The whole thing was posted by Microbe in this thread https://mycotopia.ne...ferent-species/

Edited by Jrotten, 05 March 2021 - 08:17 PM.

• Jinroh likes this

#887 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:28 PM

Just going by what was posted, but here it is

https://mycotopia.ne...ferent-species/

I have a few gallons of very high concentration glacial acetic acid left over from my old anodizing business. I have been told it never expires at this concentration. I wonder if it is still good?

This form of the acid is not for the kids though. Protective gear/respirator has to be worn when working with it. Can anyone just buy chloroform? Or is a permit required? This method seems fairly complex. I am definitely not a chemist. 

Acetic acid.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 05 March 2021 - 08:36 PM.

• Jrotten likes this

#888 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 1,004 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:57 PM

Oh shit waddup!Good to see you around jjnoroh.
  • Jinroh likes this

#889 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:21 PM

Oh shit waddup!Good to see you around jjnoroh.

Thanks! I been pretty lazy lately. Not keeping up with much.  :tongue:

#890 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:40 PM

Check the thread I posted, there is a very similar method that uses chemicals available off the shelf, ether, acetic acids, liquid ammonia. Appears doable from what I could see. It’s like an AB extraction, but you could probably skip the end recryatalizing and go straight to tincture.

On the growing front, this may go several different ways, but at present I have what appears to be an albino pin.

Attached Thumbnails

• 651A22F5-C5E3-4F78-8380-BEFDF9BD1236.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 06 March 2021 - 07:41 PM.

• ElPirana, Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

#891 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:25 PM

Egads!!! :ohmy:

#892 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:37 PM

I know semperviva can beat green mold and coexist, but I have 4 huge bags fully colonized and aging waiting to get fruited, so I tossed this sub, tossing the rest and I'm going to wait until I can get everything clean and decontaminated to do more than start some plates.  I've had a pretty successful winter with 4 new species fruited well and a decent stash of fruits and genetics to work with.  Lots more Semperviva to fruit out and a new set of genetics to try out, but I think I'm going to put things on pause for a minute while I still have the bags sealed.  I have not kept up with the cleanup this many different grows has created.

Edited by Jrotten, 07 March 2021 - 04:38 PM.

#893 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:57 PM

Semperviva is a weird colonizer. I mentioned before that everytime I break a colonized bag down to tray it stalls and fails. Well this time, I left it in the bag crumbled for weeks. It hasn’t reconsolidated the way pans or cubes would, but it slowly recovered and I think that if I put a casing on it that it will wind up fruiting. It’s weird because of how fast the original colonization is.

The delay makes me not want to break down the other three bags, but one is a clone and as much as I want to fruit a clone it’s hard for me not to want to see if a clone reconsolidates differently than MS.... decisions, decisions...

Edited by Jrotten, 11 March 2021 - 11:44 PM.

#894 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:07 PM

3rd flush coming in:

SempBag3_12.jpg

• Ambrose likes this

#895 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:03 PM

Nice! How thick is your sub coAsTaL?

After soaking it and leaving it in standing water, the 5th (?) and I think biggest flush. It was 131g soaking wet and a little dirty with casing/sub. Unfortunately, the other soaked tubs and the control tub only added 46 more wet grams.

Moral of the story, Semp seem to thrive on lots of light and water.

I have three more bags ready for casing this weekend, 1 with a wet sub, 1 with wood added and 1 control.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210311_225618-1.jpg
  • 20210311_231347-1.jpg

• Jrotten and Ambrose like this

#896 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:43 PM

It's probably about 4 inches deep-- here'a a side view of the bag

P1130116.JPG

• ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and Ambrose like this

#897 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:18 PM

I put the broken down bag still closed up in the FC where I’m running it 87-90F at 77F. The mycelium responded immediately and is quickly consolidating across the surface. Because we seem to have figured out they like a good soaking I’m thinking of figuring it out a way that Semperviva can be watered in a tray where they’ll drain like a potted plant. Not sure how to set that up. Maybe something like bury a block in vermiculite up to the surface and then case the whole surface. Maybe lava rocks in a pot with drain holes then a layer of verm/block+verm/casing

#898 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 346 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

This thread was an informative read, I'd like to thank all of you for posting your amazing work for this species.  I recently acquired some semperviva spore prints and I have put some to agar.

This will be my first exotic grow, I only have B+ and Golden Teachers under my belt for fruiting active species (mainly growing gourmets), with PE6 in the works atm.  I've made some notes from my 45 page journey reading this thread. Wish me luck! 

• YoshiTrainer and Ambrose like this

#899 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 623 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:33 AM

Started 3 more jars last night from a culture I pulled from the fridge. Man, it took a minute for it to wake up on the plate.

I circled it with a Sharpie and it was about 2 weeks before the culture started to move. Then I did some transfers and

they grew normally from there. Absolutely no fancy shit this time! Going to do these on coir.

Also trying to move away from the "hoogs var convexa" nomenclature in my mind and call this stuff by it's proper name, Ps. subtropicalis.

But it's hard man! I wonder if pan growers went through this when Copelandia switched over?

• Moonless, SporeyMF and Ambrose like this

#900 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:06 PM

Well, this third flush turned out FREAKIN FANTASTIC!

SempBagSide3_21.jpg

SempBag3_21.jpg

Looks like much more density than either of the first two flushes, although the size of the fruits overall is a little smaller.

I'm going full evangelist on long-soaking the colonized subs between flushes for these going forward, and I'm even going to do it prior to original casing next round. The soak performance speaks for itself.

The grain spawn is colonized from clone culture I took from the last flush, so I have to nock up something with it here soon-- but with all the other stuff I have going I'll have to decide what and where. It's only a pint, so won't do it in a bag this large-- just need a proper size tray to keep the spawn/sub ratio around 1:4

Happy Sunday!

• Jrotten, DonShadow, clumsy and 4 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!