Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
919 replies to this topic

#901 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

That’s a nice flush. I have 3 bags 100% colonized in tact just waiting for me to do something. I’m letting them age. The 4th really responded well to being in the FC after being broken down in a tray. The bag is still closed. I’m not doing much in the way of cultivation right now. Focusing on rebuilding my bathroom and work at the moment, but I think I’m going to open these up soon and try Zapotecorum identically.

These for me absolutely love WBS>50/50 coir/compost. I add gypsum for the calcium because the sub lasts so long but have ditched it for anything else.

I have a strong feeling about to be tested that these like to colonize, NOT* be disturbed, and go through a little dry spell followed by a very wet spell. Once the pins start high humidity is really all they care about. I’m not sure FAE ever really matters much. Just my theory.

Edited by Jrotten, 21 March 2021 - 07:47 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#902 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 03:01 PM

Very little air exchange in my FC-- open once or twice a day to mist the walls is about it.

• Ambrose likes this

#903 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 884 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2021 - 03:23 PM

Dayamn coAsTaL, very nice!

Also trying to move away from the "hoogs var convexa" nomenclature in my mind and call this stuff by it's proper name, Ps. subtropicalis.
But it's hard man! I wonder if pan growers went through this when Copelandia switched over?

I wonder about this, if Hoogs is proven to be a proper Sp. again, then wouldn't it default to the original name?
Ps. hoogshagenii var.
-convexa
-hoogshagenii
-subtropicalis

or something like that?

It may help answer why some people have killer grows of Semp and some dont. I have "Semperviva" and "Subtropicalis" growing next to each other, the Subtropicalis culture seems to be a more prolific fruiter. I'm putting a tub of Semp into FC tonight. The sub has sawdust added like the subtropicalis sub receives to see if that makes a difference.
  • Moonless, Asura and Ambrose like this

#904 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2021 - 04:46 PM

So, coastal, if I understand correctly...you want to dunk the sub right before initial fruiting too?

#905 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 04:54 PM

Yes, based on how strong the reaction has been to a thoroughly hydrated sub soak.

On my cased-grain tray it was counterproductive for the surface/casing to be too wet, producing stunted wet (and evidently weaker) fruits--  but dunking not only revived this bag after the entire initial pinset aborted, but has given three great flushes since--

So for my testing going forward, it will be well-hydrated sub to start (post-colonization), and thick (1/2"+) casing with 'normal' hydration.

• Moonless, Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#906 Ambrose

Ambrose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:24 AM

Beautiful flush Coastal!
I'm interested to see how those clones turn out for you. Recently spawned a couple myself, never cloned anything before so not sure what to expect.

I like the idea of dunking before 1st flush, it seems to be effective at triggering pinning. I may also try a side by side with the clones I have and see how it compares(dunking after consolidation vs no dunk.)

Edited by Ambrose, 22 March 2021 - 01:26 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#907 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:00 PM

Since Psilocybe semperviva is an older name than Psilocybe subtropicalis, wouldn't it take precedence if they're the same?

#908 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 05:50 PM

I think that is the convention, if it was a formal name-- but isn't Semperviva an informal one?

Harvested the third flush from my bag, they're drying now-- take a look at this double-stipe specimen--

SempTwoBecomeOne.jpg

• ElPirana, Moonless and Asura like this

#909 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:40 PM

I mean I'm just going to keep calling it semperviva. It's too cool of a name.

coastal, I've been thinking about your initial sub dunk and you have me wanting to try it with cyans. My thinking is

to try in in the little square meal prep containers, dunk and just try and fruit them out in an mono with SGFC style

holes in the lid. Have the whole thing in a small heated room.

• Jrotten, Moonless, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#910 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, I'll never stop thinking of them as Semps-- the name is what drew me to them in the first place!

and I think it's an excellent idea with the dunk for pans-- who wouldn't want to stack the deck in favor of strongly hydrated subs if you could-- assuming it's done with clean water, I can't see a down side to it...

:thumbs_up:

*Edit-- seeing as this is my 333rd (AKA Trinity) post on this site, I will take it as an opportunity to send three people a print from my Semperviva harvest-- Domestic/US only please. Now's your chance to get started with this most badass species!

Drop me a PM and we'll work out the details :)

Edited by coAsTal, 23 March 2021 - 07:52 PM.

• Jrotten, bezevo, Moonless and 2 others like this

#911 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:14 PM

I had a very serious first experience with this mushroom. It was as if the mushroom judged me. It’s not happened with any other mushroom. They became Semperviva that night to me. I had liked “hoogs” for simplicity, but something about Semperviva struck me as being more respectful and these three plus a tray experiment have just been sitting and aging gracefully for over a month waiting to be put into fruiting. I’m trying to figure out if I want to pot them or case them in the bags. The bags are narrow at the top and surface are matters more than depth with these. I’ve proven that. Reconsolidating is a slow and risky proposition but I have one of those also.

I just slit the bag on the reconsolidate experiment, going to let it breath in 80-90%RH for at least several days, then case and run my fogger at saturation levels then move it to the proper FC for the species.

These bags I see something like pasteurized peat/verm/lime buried in the same shoebox and essentially buried in casing material with casing above. Maybe some drain holes in the bottom so it can flood and drain.

Attached Thumbnails

• 35D2B2B4-5F0C-4F3B-AEA2-EF0812C49445.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 23 March 2021 - 10:45 PM.

• Moonless, Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#912 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 12:00 PM

I should have take some pictures, but I'm feeling a little fuzzy this week. ANYWAY, the  Semperviva reconsolidation experiment went forward today.  4 days with access to fresh air fuzzed the whole thing up.  It certainly appears to be 100% colonized, but it didn't reconsolidate into a single mass as you'd hope.  It's several large chunks in the tray close to 3" deep.  It was cased a lot heavier than the previous grows, about 3/8-1/2" with typical peat/verm/lime.  The casing was applied quite dry, FC is set to 80-90% and temperature is around 77F.  It will be left this way for a few days and then it will go into high humidity conditions.  This is from the print of the faster fruiting genetics.  Bag was spawned and quickly colonized about 6 weeks ago.

#913 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:10 PM

Cased it dry and left it at 80-90% at 77F for several days:heavily drenched/soaked the sub in the tray shaped bag. Poured water off 8 hours later, Breaking down the bag to a tray did not do it any favors I’m afraid. RH% sent way up 85-95%. The lag in my controller will drench things before it shuts off and peaks out, then drys off again. We’ll see what it does.

#914 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:07 AM

I've started a "semperviva compost" project. I'm sure it will work great for other things too. But basically,

I have a compost pile outside where I am tossing all my old subs - mostly horse manure and straw but

occasionally coir - along with all my spent coffee grounds (including coffee filters) and egg shells.

I want to try and use this for caerulescens and zaps as well.  

• Arathu, Jrotten, bezevo and 3 others like this

#915 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:21 PM

That’s what I grow everything but pans on with varying amounts of coir, verm, etc
  • Asura likes this

#916 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:04 AM

I've started a "semperviva compost" project. I'm sure it will work great for other things too. But basically,

I have a compost pile outside where I am tossing all my old subs - mostly horse manure and straw but

occasionally coir - along with all my spent coffee grounds (including coffee filters) and egg shells.

I want to try and use this for caerulescens and zaps as well.  

Hand in hand, fungi and "composts" are intimately related/bound......I'm digging it! Literally........

You're all DIRT-MAKERS.........

A

Edited by Arathu, 04 April 2021 - 11:04 AM.

• Jrotten, DonShadow and Asura like this

#917 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:32 PM

Pic of my Semp Bag today, 4th flush.

I didn't soak this after the third flush harvest, because it's been pretty hectic around here and I will be getting rid of this after these mature, since I'm going to use this FC for my Aucklandiae bags that are waiting in the wings.

SempBag4_9.jpg

:cool:

• bezevo, YoshiTrainer and Ambrose like this

#918 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:49 PM

PS: After several shroom dosing experiments this past year, with Semps, Pan Cyan's, and Tamp Galindoi and ATL#7 all giving far lower effect than they should with the weights used, I've concluded that my tryptamine responses/receptors have been substantially degraded over time (and/or possibly due to some past supplement interactions). All I know is that I'm not tripping on doses that others say puts them into space.

My next session will be 2g dry of Semperviva's-- as 1g was a very mild but interesting "Level 1 or 1.5" experience.

Will report whenever I can give them a try.

• Jrotten, bezevo, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#919 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:46 PM

Coastal, I would love to hear how that goes for you.. by the way I think I ran into you at the nexus. :)

Even if it ain't all good. It's all good enough.

#920 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

Hey man, I got your message-- that's a great learning community over there.

Coastal, I would love to hear how that goes for you.. by the way I think I ran into you at the nexus. :)

AND in other news:

I have finally gotten to a real trip! Exactly 2g dry Semperviva gave me a pretty modest (say, level 2ish) trip, but I was at long last truly "there"!

Fuck yeah!  :victorious:

It was very light on the open eye visuals-- mild breathing of surfaces and light/texture enhancement, and just barely perceptible closed-eye-- some faint geometric and "room" perceptions-- but this is the first time I felt like I was really getting something out of these mushrooms since I started growing again last year.

Positive mindset, music was genuinely immersive and intimate-- a good time. I spent much of the time with eyes covered in bed with noise canceling headphones.

So I clearly have quite a built-in tolerance compared to normal people, but knowing that I can get there at the right dose for me, I can continue to incrementally up my dose by 1/2 grams to get zoned in.

:wub: :hug: :biggrin:

• Jrotten, bezevo and Ambrose like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!