Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Communal Psilocybe semperviva/hoogshagenii grow?

• Please log in to reply
929 replies to this topic

#921 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 948 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

Great news coAsTaL, glad you can enjoy the fruits of your labors again!

First pin on a new tub! Agar to grain 2/13, grain to bulk 2/25, cased 3/15, into the FC 3/21, pin 4/16.

Two other experiments, semp will eat subs with fuel pellets in it and subs that are wet, neither has fruited yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210416_123438-1.jpg

• Arathu and newmoon like this

#922 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:58 PM

Hey guys looking great.! Glad to hear coastal!

Gonna get into my exotic prints soon I gotta grow some wood lovers and some pans and Mexicanae. Gonna just go for it guys!

Will be a couple weeks before I have spawn but will start germing I've got a few cube strains ready to go right now so I'm on track ish.

There is one cat I wanna help get some wood lover myc going cant remember his name at the moment but I owe him.

Besides that the semperviva is gonna be one of the first in gonna try out.

Even if it ain't all good. It's all good enough.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#923 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:40 AM

Alright, I've read through this beast of a thread a couple times, I've seen a bit of variation in the subs you've all been using for the Ps. Subtropicalis (semperviva). I'm giving it a go, hopefully it will be happy with the sub I've put in to.

I started some spores on agar, made multiple transfers, started a LC from what I hope was a faster section of one of the plates. 10 days ago I inoculated a half pint of rye with 3 cc's of the LC. The half pint looked to be 100% colonized a few days ago, but I let it sit until today. Today I spawned that half pint to one pint of sub (50% horse manure compost, 30%coir, 15% verm, 5% gypsum) Sterilized. Not sure if I'm going to case or not. Temperature in my incubation area sits between 74-78, very little fluctuation.

All my active grows are tiny between 1.5 to 2.5pints total, done in 2 to 3L containers with enough headroom to fruit, a few holes poked in the container covered with micropore tape so the mycelium can breathe. I'm excited to see how this one turns out.  Hopefully it will be happy enough to fruit for me. If it fruits I think I'll start a larger grow for this species.

Edited by Auhron, 19 April 2021 - 05:16 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and Ambrose like this

#924 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

You are going to need to case it-- otherwise sounds great brother! :thumbs_up:

• Auhron likes this

#925 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:47 AM

I tried a thick casing on the bag I broke down. The myc got healthier looking when the bag opened, but after weeks in fruiting, I’ve decided thick casings (3/8-1/2”) are a bad idea. I’m scraping and going back to 1/4” or less sometime this week if I don’t see a pin. Also 3 bags are about to be “immersed” in casing together. The way they are shaped and the amount of sub really didn’t do any favors for the fruiting surface (they are triangular) so I’m going to put them upside down in something side by side in a tub.
  • Ambrose likes this

#926 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 948 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:03 AM

If you have time Auhron, you might consider using some of your LC for active mycelium production too. :)
  • Auhron likes this

#927 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

If you have time Auhron, you might consider using some of your LC for active mycelium production too. :)

Indeed, I have a bag of cocoa nibs around here somewhere just for that purpose, where it is hiding has been eluding me for a few days...

You are going to need to case it-- otherwise sounds great brother! :thumbs_up:

a 50/50 Coir/Vermiculite casing should do fine for this? I've got some extra already mixed (not hydrated or pasteurized yet), I could adjust it if need be.

#928 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 04:12 PM

That should work-- I've used a couple different kinds -- not too picky

• Auhron and Ambrose like this

#929 Ambrose

Ambrose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:11 PM

Mediocre first flush on a couple of cased grain MS semperviva shoeboxes, spawned on 2/7/21(I forget when I cased, they've been neglected.) From a different print than my last grow but they seem to be behaving pretty much the same.

Nice and wacky with long stems seemingly from low FAE. Couple caps starting to sporulate which is nice to see. Really like the big floppy caps on a couple fruit, curious as to whether that would carry on through a clone. 

lowFaeSemp - Copy.jpg wackoSemp - Copy.jpg

Edited by Ambrose, 19 April 2021 - 07:12 PM.

• Jrotten, YoshiTrainer, coAsTal and 2 others like this

#930 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,459 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 02:48 PM

Well I now have a very well aged sub buried under the bushes. The sub had broken in the turkey tin and the green set in. I know Semperviva can ultimately deal with it, but I can’t afford anymore contamination around. This was broken down from a bag into a tray which I’m pretty sure is the death knell for Semperviva or at least seriously impairs it’s ability and/or time to fruit. I have no idea whether ground temperatures are high enough for it. Day time temperatures are certainly right for the next month or two if I’m lucky before the heat kicks in. I’m already watering some cubes so we will see. Definitely should have put the bags in trays when I spawned.

EDIT:

While I’m cleaning up the myco trash, I had this quart of grain. Now you may think it’s a stalled jar, and you’d be right. But the thing about it is, it’s stalled 3 times. Knowing it was bacterial I have watched it try to colonize that jar several times after seeming to be dead. It’s just been sitting in my garage all winter and now spring. It started growing towards the bottom of the jar again last week. It actually smells great.

So it seems that I have a very tenacious culture. I also finally got my compost to a perfect texture by adding straw and coffee grounds to the compost tumbler for months, no coir or verm needed now. So since I was already doing experiments I decided to scoop out the colonized grain and add it to a myco bag with a couple quarts of compost straight from the tumbler.

I just folded the bag over and paper clipped it. The most likely result is mold spores explode, but there was no fungus on the compost in the tumbler so hopefully the ability to breathe favors a tough semperviva culture over competitors.

Attached Thumbnails

• EA644142-BF49-423C-8BA0-A217A6AE6460.jpeg
  • BD8C3A4D-3599-4D6D-898A-1A0C8A831B2D.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 25 April 2021 - 05:02 PM.

• Ambrose likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!