• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Check it out on the play store if you are an android user. Not sure if apple offers this app as well..

It's based on a system that learns to identify mushrooms from still pictures or a 'scan'. Might not give you a correct ID on some lesser known species but for the most part this can definitely help you in the right direction when trying to ID a mushroom. There also different info on most of the species on there which will help you learn to identify them yourselves.

Cheers.

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

Word of caution...

I have not looked at this app yet, I will, but many mushrooms have look a likes that you can not tell apart without further investigation of gills, spore print, region, substrate, etc....

This app would be fun and is certainly a nice addition to the ole tool bet... but... PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! do not run around consuming photos identified by one photo... It simply is not safe... I would be hesitant to trust this app even if it makes determinations based on 30 photos...

Please use responsibly and ensure that you are 100% positive of the mushrooms identification based on factors other than its what the app told you it was...

I could see this app being dangerous....

If I feel differently after trying it out I will let y'all know...

• RutgerHauer, WanderingWildcrafter and Nicked like this

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

Check the app. There is enough info on there to get you going towards a proper identification. Also, options for multiple pictures for analysis, and a 3D scan. So, nothing based on one picture would go very far, indeed.

The app doesn't go even as far as telling you what it is at all. It gives different probable species which overlap most with the data you input: photos and extra info about substrate, gills, stem/ring. After that it is up to you to research and determine.

The more people input data and use it in a responsible way, the better the app will probably be. For now the app disclaims by saying things might be wrong in the app and to be careful about what to eat. I don't think it does any harm - more than it can help you if you are interested in mushrooms.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 17 October 2019 - 03:49 PM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#4 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

I've been using the app and I have to say that it's VERY dodgy. So far it has correctly identified a single mushroom. It's only good to narrow down on the genus your mushroom might belong to.

#5 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:14 AM

There are two for iPhone one is paid subscription, can't look on my android I'm camping no wifi..

Nice find, I'll check it out.. the only thing I have learned to identify is destroying angel.
  • Spark likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!