• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

Hey everyone, needed a new thread to showcase my latest efforts which are soon to fruit. Just put into proper conditions, tonight.

After this thread has run its course, I will probably just start a thread where the body of my projects can be found. Thanks for reading!

This is my South African Transkei shoebox. Trying something new, idk if I will get enough FAE but will be monitoring closely. I used a heated extendable painters razor utility blade. One of the super cheap things that can slide more razor out when needed or when it breaks/ gets dull.. I made crosses and cut out two quadrants or one quadrant of a diamond in each hole in order to have room to make them bigger if I like. Also it’s not really easy to cut a hole with one of these and I don’t have a drill. I suspect I will need to put a couple bigger holes above the smaller ones just above the substrate. What do you think? It is Four quarts hpoo pasteurized on stove top water, and two quarts popcorn grain spawn. It colonized for a little longer than two weeks I wanted it to get as much nutes as possible. I am using press n seal for a lid atm with skits cut then covered with micropore tape.. I’ve never seen anyone do this before. I imagine should work out just fine. 89ba7a2045e11400cf48eee342853ba7.jpgd6b427492c2ba0e8a6e6af381da9efa6.jpgdee893b034d9af890230967e8670c66a.jpg

This is a grow bag of Cambodian Gold. Supposedly a F1 hybrid of Cambodian & Golden Teacher.. no clue what to expect really.. I tried laying the bag on it’s side because I figure using the hpoo it could push out a lot of boomers so the more surface area the more it can utilize and work it out. Never tried this before, will just cut it open when I run outta room 4443939cc09417de389c2b2ec2078d4d.jpge0eea00da52663409f8c729b97260720.jpg

Looking forward to any and all criticisms. Trying to learn a trade here ;)

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:23 PM

Looks good to me, that tub has a lot of airholes. and that fan is enough to keep the air flowing. Withing you the best in your grow! should be getting pins seriously soon

#3 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:09 AM

I have never used micropore for FAE before and the holes are pretty small but I think a small little fan in my closet will be enough! Atleast I sure hope so. There is just one layer on the holes I might opt to make them a tad larger! Thanks for stopping by moonless! This is my first project with manure. I have five more strains going to manure in about a week! So stay tuned! I’ll be taking prints and all that good stuff as well. Just need to pay for marketplace!

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

So are those like, supposed to be a cross between Cambos and Golden Teachers? I have heard about supposed "hybrid crosses" of cube strains, actually from people who know about the fact that it's not very common or easy to create an actual hybrid between cube strains. They were skeptical but intrigued, as I am.

I had heard that there was a bigger vendor selling them, I don't remember the name. I would assume that is just a cube strain and the name is a marketing thing, but who the hell knows(maybe someone here?) if some vendor company actually got in a lab and got 2 individual spores from each sub-strain together, and did it enough times to find 2 that were genetically compatible, and then grew out batches to find ones that even fruited at all, then found the phenotype that had the unique traits from both Cambos and Goldens, then repeated the process identically over and over until the spores were producing reliably similar and stable results in the fruits with those same traits. Then you'd have that true hybrid.

Haha, I may have added or skipped a few steps here and there, I am not an expert, that is just a combination of things I know are true cuz I've read it from experts, and things I made a semi-educated guess on.

BTW, I'd be interested in knowing what vendor you got those spores from, but DON'T SAY IT IN THIS THREAD, just in case you didn't know about the vendor thread and only naming vendors there rule. Sorry I took a few month break from Topia so I don't know a bunch of the newer members so well yet.

Edited by Billcoz, 19 October 2019 - 09:47 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#5 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

Billcoz, I sent you message explaining what I know of it.

Edited by DarkNchildlike, 19 October 2019 - 10:57 AM.

• Billcoz likes this

#6 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

Cam gold still looking knotty and nice ;) no signs of pins and SAT isn’t knitting yet I assume it will tomorrow. I kept the surface very wet by keeping the plastic of the black garbage bag taught against all surfaces mostly. I’m expecting them to explode with growth any time now! I just really want to see with my own eyes the difference between manure and other substrates. Everyone says it blows all else out of the water

#7 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

I have pins on the cam gold, will update with pics tomorrow or day after at the latest
  • Billcoz likes this

#8 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:53 AM

I’m not sure, I thought this was the cam gold but I’m beginning to think I it’s SAT... what do you guys think? I hope Cue shows up. 48b1601b3b60f23432a1d0f8d78d0929.jpg8ca0c6bf93ebb9890116104070ebb819.jpgd3eb76fdd202c1872baad228a0b2c059.jpg69997e6b627bf860edc61e38e2842a13.jpg6c60e3812afcc96923edab721291dbb4.jpg look at all the rhizo growth on the bag there are tons of pins forming on the bag 281868e59fba45d5700d64f569036255.jpg04b000f5791b5dfe3a6d8d8e493fcbed.jpg215c8e43e2fe4f887445f4bbcd47f2a4.jpg64e0cdb9da6f65ba49d936dedcbfc347.jpg

#9 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:56 AM

I just feel like it doesn’t look like golden teacher or cambodians

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:03 AM

Dark, this was an MS grow out of a supposed F1 Hybrid correct?

If so there could be many variations of a strain genetically. Also hybrids can revert back to one of the "parent" strains used. 

I've seen this happen in many plants. But have never dealt with a hybrid of any kind of mushroom.

Peace and good vibes

ETA: You have some very nice growth going on, I look forward to your results

Edited by crazy1, 25 October 2019 - 06:04 AM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#11 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:21 PM

Well,. Thing is I had a mishap,... I had inoculated two SAT jars and one cam gold. I had failed to label them so about a week I noticed Two of them were identical in growth and characteristics in mycelium,. Same growth speed and just looked really similar.. so I deduced they were the cam gold and the very different rhizo growth jar is most likely the one cam gold because Cambodian and golden teacher are known to be quite rhizo and agressive. I then put the two similar jars together but just Incase I was wrong I made sure not to mix the jars I spread one to the left side and one to the right,. Once the supposed SAT pins I guess we will know if I was correct in my assumptions, but you know what they say making assumptions makes an ass of you. Lol

Edit: the two jars that were identical in growth appearance and speed were SAT I thought and the individual rhizo I believed to be cam gold

Edited by DarkNchildlike, 25 October 2019 - 02:49 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#12 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

I'm guessing you learned  lesson about labeling and knowing what is what lol

We've all don it once, at least.

Not sure if I've ever grown Cambodian Gold or not, but have grown Golden Teacher a lot. Never would call it aggressive really, one of the slower Cubes to colonize in my experience. 

I am looking forward to your grow results though

Peace

• coorsmikey likes this

#13 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Yes I learned my lesson big time! Even though I know better I’m worried the bigger tub is mixed strains and won’t fruit but I know theoretically it should fruit just fine.. the bag grow to me personally, the actual fruit bodies resemble SAT in appearance. I hope that some people that have grown it can confirm or deny my hunch. Will update pics of the tub as soon as it pins

#14 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

I'm sure the tub will fruit, even if 2 different strains. I'd believe one would take over, but they may grow in symbiosis.

That is very rare in the mycological world though. As far as I know, the Morel is the only species of fungi that grows in symbiosis with another mycelial mat of fungi and becomes one. And that is only with another Morel species. 

Peace my friend

Edited by crazy1, 25 October 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#15 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{ + }}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 807 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:13 PM

Have we mentioned Cue's lazy?

... what do you guys think? I hope Cue shows up.

• coorsmikey likes this

#16 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

It's not really lazy.................

He's just hard to motivate  :biggrin:

• Tenderfoot likes this

#17 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

Lol I messaged him a while ago about SAT grow he was really excited I think I will message him a link. How do I do that?

#18 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

Go to your nav bar and copy the address and send it to him is the only thing I can think of

Peace

• coorsmikey likes this

#19 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

Oh whoops lol of course.. I’m on Tapatalk didn’t even think to just get on the regular site to post a link.. come on dark, think outside the box dude..
  • crazy1 and coorsmikey like this

#20 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

Little anecdote,. Referring to myself as dark is strange,. I was gonna either use this handle or Mandark. Like dexters laboratory, when I first joined lol.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!