16 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:24 PM

f284c9f5ce606b7b0645d2e27750d803.jpg

5 strains 2 jars each. GWM Fiji cam gold MDK MAZ. I am going to take one of each to transfer to three more jars each. So five monos. What should my ratio be if successful. I’ll have five jars spawn.

They have about a week left to go possibly, for the ones that are lagging behind..

If anyone has grown out any of these strains, and had any anecdotal comments or fun memories, chime in!! Pics are welcome!! Love to have something to compare/ aspire for.

I will be making a clear plastic box essentially of clear trash bags cut to line and hang from a cupboard down to and a little past countertop. There’s only a couple jars each shouldn’t get any tams been thinking of motions in my mind after reading up on it. How many ppl pour, how many ppl use a spoon? What are all of you very experienced cats procedures for G2G? Let’s get a dialogue going.
  • Billcoz likes this

#2 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:28 PM

Between this my fruiting tub of SAT and cam gold I got my hands pretty full! Next I tackle agar and then I tackle Tamps and copes!

#3 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:32 PM

Also, I pc’d fifteen jars a little less than a week ago and they are all contaminate free. Now I will be able to observe if there is a flaw in my technique where the flaw will be occurring. I suggest anyone else new to these more advanced techniques do the same. By the way,. I’m kinda curious about liquid inoculation perhaps I will do half and half.

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:07 PM

Wow you do have your hands full!

#5 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, I really do! For how new I am to all this I feel like I’m hitting a good stride. Not slowing down now that’s for sure love this hobby so much already!

#6 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:54 PM

I use a glovebox (gloves attached) and use a sterilize spoon to make the transfers.

Works perfectly, I tryed pouring but that's more if you have a flow hood cause space isnt restricted as much as in a glovebox.

If you want to know the rates at which the jars will colonize its dependent on which grain so know that I'm using wbs as the example here (if I'm not mistaken) 3tbs will colonize a jar in 14days, 6tbs will colonize a jar within 7days...

That was the quickest I got my spawn to colonize in using g2g....7to colonize spawn, 7to colonize bulk, 7to10 for fruit....just over a month at optimum conditions.

People claim to have done it faster but phish, 30days for a monotub is excellent skill level.
  • Thacan likes this

#7 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:46 AM

let me kick in with a question ... I am on my 4th g2g transfer. Had a 2/3 quart jar, divided it into 4, and I did it 4 times till now. Full colonization is within 7 days, then I shake it good and wait for another 7 days and than do g2g transfer. In a few days I will do 5th transfer.

My question is: what is an optimum number of transfers? Can I go on 'forever' or until contamination comes along, or maybe mycelium loses fruiting potency with each transfer?? 

#8 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

I think you don't want to wait until contamination comes along.. you want to avoid that so therefore it is best to reduce the number of transfers. I am not experienced in this area so maybe somebody else can give you some facts here.

How many jars are you going for? :biggrin:

Edited by RutgerHauer, 09 December 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#9 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:37 AM

I think you don't want to wait until contamination comes along.. you want to avoid that so therefore it is best to reduce the number of transfers. I am not experienced in this area so maybe somebody else can give you some facts here.

How many jars are you going for? :biggrin:

this is the thing:

- I inoculated 4 jars of Equador and 4 Mazapatec

- g2g 2 fastest of each into 8 jars each, and the rest 2 of each I put into substrate for further colonization

- g2g 4 fastest of each into 16 jars and the rest into substrate

- g2g 4 fastest of each into 16 jars and the rest into substrate (there were some questionable so I got rid of them, or fruited them from a jar

so ... can I go on like this, or should I fruit all of them and start with inoculation??  

• RutgerHauer likes this

#10 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:27 PM

I would fruit them and start over, but that’s just me, and if you have the spare spores of course. I usually just put 1 jar into 7 and then fruit them, I’ve done further transfers in the past but the mycelium tended to weaken a bit.
  • Aur likes this

#11 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:30 AM

I think you should do whatever you want, it would be a great way to find out how far you can take this. Your approach seems good for that. It would also be a good training on recognizing questionable development before it is too late.

I was afraid you were transferring all of your jars, but since you are also fruiting several that is not the case. As long as the mycelium that you transfer is strong I think you can give it a shot. You are making a selection of some sort in this way as well, so in the end you might end up with the strongest genetics, that is if you eventually fruit them before it is too late because of possibly contamination. That would be a shame.

That there were some jars in your latest run that were questionable, this might indicate you are approaching some sort of limit here..

Would be great if you decide to take this much further to let us know how it worked out!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 December 2019 - 04:33 AM.

• Aur likes this

#12 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:17 AM

thank you guys, that is what I will do ... leav only 2 fastest ones, fruit out the rest and let you know how it goes after few more runs

#13 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for the experiment!

#14 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

I can barely remember posting in this thread but whatever I said seemed like it came from a post in another thread....am I going crazy peoples?

Darknchildlike, it's been abit since you posted, how are the jars of popcorn coming along?

And Aur, you can continue like you were doing for up to 5transfers before senscience (probably didn't spell it right again!) Sets in and a degradation of genetics begins to occur....always at the 5th transfer so it's best to only transfer 4times before renewing the cultures grain spawn masters....

If you go over 5 the mushrooms grow like tooth picks and they look sick, and there isnt very many of them.... I did it once just to see what would happen.... (I've explained this in another post before, probably why I'm confused about my first post)
  • Aur likes this

#15 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:25 AM

Hey well,. It was hit and miss they all did great for a while, let’s just say I will be using my popcorn virtually ASAP as opposed to later.

And yeah, I was gone for a while, I wrote a thread titled gone for a while” explaining my absence. Gonna try harder to be around!

How are you doing FunG?
  • FunG likes this

#16 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:25 AM

Doing pretty good minus the addiction (I forgot it's a epademic before I started)

I sampled about 1.2 to 1.5g of my new years eve minitub....they're medicore, not as strong as my last grow with worm castings which just drives the whole nitrogen theory even further.

Have a look at my cuboard, havnt lost anything to trich "yet" and I soaked all these jars with coffee water

20191210_213156.jpg
  • macgyver likes this

#17 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

I can barely remember posting in this thread but whatever I said seemed like it came from a post in another thread....am I going crazy peoples?

Darknchildlike, it's been abit since you posted, how are the jars of popcorn coming along?

And Aur, you can continue like you were doing for up to 5transfers before senscience (probably didn't spell it right again!) Sets in and a degradation of genetics begins to occur....always at the 5th transfer so it's best to only transfer 4times before renewing the cultures grain spawn masters....

If you go over 5 the mushrooms grow like tooth picks and they look sick, and there isnt very many of them.... I did it once just to see what would happen.... (I've explained this in another post before, probably why I'm confused about my first post)

as you said... the same happened here 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!