Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Casing for P. Mexicana and similar fungi (sterilize or pasteurize?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deepblueseawhale

deepblueseawhale

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:59 AM

Those of you who have grown or grow P. Mexicana or similar mushrooms, what's your favorite casing recipe and how do you prepare it (sterilization or pasteurization)?

From what I found most use peat moss with gardening sand, or peat moss and vermiculite (50/50). But I'm finding conflicting reports on how to prepare the casing.

Some say pasteurize to keep the healthy microorganisms alive who the keep  trichoderma in check, while others say trichoderma is even added to peat and should be therefore be sterilized.

@DonShadow's "Chamber Tek + Easy Ps. Mexicana Grow Tutorial" for example recommends "sterilized 50/50+ casing".

What's your take on this? How do you do it?

Thanks.

• DaveyJonez likes this

#2 DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

I pasteurized peat moss and verm on 2 different tampanensis grows and it worked great both times
  • deepblueseawhale likes this

#3 Psilosophie

Psilosophie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:22 PM

I’ve used sifted peat moss (thru a window screen) and verm in a roughly 70/30 ratio, and to that add 10% by volume powdered limestone (not hydrated lime). Then I add a tablespoon or two of rich composted soil, mix, and pasteurize at 155-160 for an hour.

Worked very, very well. I think the soil microbes help promote pinning and fend off mold.
  • deepblueseawhale likes this

#4 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 170 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:07 PM

I use peat/verm or peat/sand and I've never done anything but pasteurize it. I wouldn't have a problem

sterilizing it either....I've just never done it.

Some people say sterilization opens up your subs/casing to contam because it gives

everything bad an equal footing with mycelium. But I've not experienced that myself.

#5 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 344 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

My best results have been with a 10 : 1 : 0.5 ratio (peat moss : sand : CaCO3). I always sterilize and my casings never contaminate before the 3rd or 4th flush.
  • CatsAndBats and ElrikEriksson like this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:25 PM

My best results have been with a 10 : 1 : 0.5 ratio (peat moss : sand : CaCO3). I always sterilize and my casings never contaminate before the 3rd or 4th flush.

I was thinking about adding sand to my casing, my only issue with sand is I make chocolates, and gritty chocolates are no bueno. 

Where/when did you pick up on the idea of using sand?  I really like the idea that the myc are most likely like "Oh shit, time to fruit" when they/it hits a sand layer. Can you elaborate if possible please?

• Moonless likes this

#7 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 170 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:38 PM

I got the idea from the best P. mexicana grow I've ever seen:

https://www.shroomer...Number/10925421

And then during researching, I've seen that caerulescens and zapotecorum

do well with it, too.