• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Shroomy9

Shroomy9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:06 AM

Hello ,an idea just hit me .Im new to this site and new to mushroom growing?Anyone reading this and feel the same,message so we can make a new growers comunity.Im Strahinja ,from Serbia:))

• roc, Sidestreet, Tenderfoot and 2 others like this

#2 kwares952001

kwares952001

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

Howdy!! I’m new to this site as well. Looking to start my first grow, but have been sick. Waiting until the right time then going to start. Hope we can get this community going for first timers to share stories, learn from mistakes, help each other out and so on. Thanks for the thread!!
  • Shroomy9 and HeavyOntheMental like this

#3 Shroomy9

Shroomy9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:05 AM

Hi kwares952001,i started with a growkit so i can extract spores it was easier for me,i had my first harvest but the mistake i made was when drying them.

I read on some site that you should pre dry them for about 2 -3 hours with air but that is false,you should do that for 24 and more(this is the inforamtion i found on this site)

Anyway i didnt pre dry them well and they rotted(the pain is real) hope i have more luck now.

• Sidestreet, Tenderfoot and HeavyOntheMental like this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:12 AM

It's never fun when good mushrooms go bad, Shroomy9.  You're right that you want to dry them very thoroughly as soon as they are harvested.  After they are so dry that they can be crumbled to bits (called "cracker dry") then you want to store them properly. 

You can close cracker dry mushrooms in an airtight container to keep them from reabsorbing moisture from the air.  An even better idea is to put some Damprid or other dessicant in the container with them.  Just make sure the dessicant isn't touching the mushrooms.

Welcome you two!

• Skywatcher and Shroomy9 like this

#5 Shroomy9

Shroomy9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for the reply Sidestreet.

I think the whole proces now will be a success,but man i was literaly depressed for days and mad at the idiot who said  that they should be dried for 2 hours with air...

My first big harvest ...gone.

But hey new to come right.

Can I just ask you quickly how sterile should my environment be for spore extraction.
Some people just say cut the cap-drop of water-put aluminum under cap-wait-put in zip lock bag,and others are like ,get your laboratory redy and soak yourself for 6 days so there isnt any contaminationXD

• Sidestreet likes this

#6 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

Yes, the great thing about this hobby is that there will always be plenty more mushrooms!  And even though it might be challenging at first, it's easy to enjoy the learning process.

As for taking spore prints, you really want your sterile procedure to be as good as possible.  There is a good method for taking spore prints in Magic for the Masses, which you can find by following the link in my signature. 

You can also find lots of good information in the Mycotopia Vaults, here:  https://mycotopia.ne...shroom-biology/

• dial8 and Shroomy9 like this

#7 Shroomy9

Shroomy9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

Thank you so much for you reply

I read magic for the masses its just that i find a lot of information.I usually clean everything with 70%iso alcohol  and work in a room where i  literally only have a bed.

I cant do anything about air filtration though as it is reccommended  nor do i have the custom mesh some methods mention.

Also can i ask for a bit of help with the search bar,sometimes i type something like drying or even mushrooms and it says that there arent any search results.

#8 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:29 AM

When you're using the search bar, make sure the button right next to it says "forums" and not "this topic" or "members" or something.  That will help a lot.

Are you able to use the bathroom instead?  That's usually the easiest room to clean.

• dial8 and Shroomy9 like this

#9 Shroomy9

Shroomy9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

I could use the bathroom but i the room that i plan on taking a spore print is more flexible , because my bathroom is medium in size but difficult to  navigate in.

My next harvest is in  12 days i guess so im gonna try and capture a spore print then and pray to terence it works

Also I am a web designer,if there is anything i could help with the site,let me know:)

• Sidestreet likes this

#10 Shroomy9

Shroomy9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:21 AM

Sidestreet 

Bro can you help me out a bit.Something strange happend ,after the first flush i cleaned and dunk my cake.And when i put it back in the bag and on the heat mat .Pins appeared after 2 days?Thats like way early last time they appeared like in 8 or smthn. Is this bad?

• Sidestreet likes this

#11 arefox

arefox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:46 AM

This is the video that got me started by GordoTek. He has a pleasant voice and it is kind of relaxing watching his process for growing mushrooms. it is all step by step doing multispore grain cultures and isolated strain petri dishes, grain to grain transfers how long to soak the grains making a coco coir substrate and finishing up to cultivating drying and putting in veg capsule. 

[Direct Link]

#12 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

Pins fairly quickly after a dunk is all good. They were probably there as knots or very small pins when you dunked and then they went boom. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. Congratulations on the second flush!

• Sidestreet and Shroomy9 like this

#13 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,596 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:56 AM

^^^ What he said ^^^

• Shroomy9 likes this

#14 Shroomy9

Shroomy9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

Thank you so much guys:)

#15 arefox

arefox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:58 PM

I got a happy success story I have been trying to grow for months now since September. I first got some pre-made bulk substrate from amazon and inoculated them with spores well nothing happened to it for a month ( I didn't think I needed to sterilize them) so I gave up on it and started doing agar so that I know if it is taking off or not. Well I left these bags on their own till the end of October and noticed some white mycelium growing on the top well I decided all was not lost and decided to shake them up to move the mycelium around. after that it only grew in a small spot again.  Obviously there was still contamination so I read about peroxide I opened the bag and sprayed the shit out of it with 3% peroxide multiple times a week till the dirty sock smell went away.  Eventually by the the bag got fully colonized so I moved it to a coco coir bulk substrate.  after the first week I started smelling an ammonia smell so I started again with spraying peroxide a couple times a week till I started to noticed the mycelium growing again. After 3 months and losing hope a couple times I finally got some Texas cubes starting to pin.  How long can I expect them to be fully grown after pinning?

20191126-100117.jpg

20191126-172705.jpg

• Shroomy9 and HeavyOntheMental like this

#16 HeavyOntheMental

HeavyOntheMental

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:08 AM

I want in on this, I am new and diving head first into the world of mushroom culture, I am very inexperienced in just about every aspect and would benefit greatly from a group like this.

• Shroomy9 and TumblingStone like this

#17 HeavyOntheMental

HeavyOntheMental

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:20 AM

I watched the video provided in this forum, Is there any other videos or video series that I can watch to ease some of the anxiety of attempting my first grow? I have invested something close to 200 dollars in my set up and want my chances at success to be as high as possible. Shroomy9, care to update us about your grow? I am particularly interested to hear about your progress on drying, has the pre-dry worked for you? And arefox, I noticed you say the pre-made amazon substrate was no good, what brand is that so I can avoid it, And if anyone reading this would like to recommend a good brand to use it would be most helpful.

• arefox likes this

#18 arefox

arefox

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:52 AM

That video I posted is the most in depth one I have seen and the easiest to follow. The only thing I had to look up was how to make my own agar. I find that doing isolated strains on agar is the best way to get my grains to spawn. They key is cleanliness I had sone issues with that early on using a still air box. The agar recipe I use is 500 ml water 10 grams agar agar 10 grams malt extract and 1 gram nutritional yeast.

#19 HeavyOntheMental

HeavyOntheMental

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

That video I posted is the most in depth one I have seen and the easiest to follow. The only thing I had to look up was how to make my own agar. I find that doing isolated strains on agar is the best way to get my grains to spawn. They key is cleanliness I had sone issues with that early on using a still air box. The agar recipe I use is 500 ml water 10 grams agar agar 10 grams malt extract and 1 gram nutritional yeast.

Damn if I only knew where to get that kinda stuff, Is there any place that I can go to to purchase premade augar (or simplified agar creation) or is that something I have to go online for? I don't think ive ever seen it in walmart.

#20 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:31 PM

I would suggest ditching the heat pad... Heat pads can increase the chance for contamination and can also end up making the mycelium less viable/healthy... Every stage of this process can be done successfully at room temperature... Right now (in fall and winter) I am colonizing jars at approximately 67-73F. In the summer, this increases a bit to approximately 70-75F. The lower colonization temps may result in it taking an extra day or 2 to fully colonize but limits contamination risk.

I would also suggest just starting from scratch when contaminated rather than attempting to treat the problem with H2O2... I don't really know of any experienced growers that use this method... I also don't know of any experienced growers who would open the spawn bag prior to full colonization... You mention the ammonia smell after spawning... This is likely what will happen 9/10 when you are trying to spawn already contaminated grain.

• Shroomy9 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!